• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200lt 2006 problem

gclarke

Starting yesterday, I started seeing a problem that seems like it is electrical. After starting the motorcycle, I took of and sat in a line of traffic waiting for the light.
I noticed the speedo was stuck on 20 mph and the tach was on 2000 rpm, not responding to my throttle input. Also, the center stand indicator was flickering. After about 10 seconds or so it all of a sudden started acting normal. It didn't occur again, until i started to leave again today.
This time the instrument panel went off and the motor ran rough but continued to run. This lasted for about a minute or so and then ran normal till I made it home.
Any suggestions? The battery is at 12.68 volts running and off. Oh yeah, first time poster!!

Thanks
G CLARK

K1200LT 2006
32345 MILES
DINAH MOE

Welcome to the forum! Can't really help...hopefully some KLT riders will be along soon. But I'm scratching my head at 12.68v with the bike running. So, it doesn't change from there even when at cruising speed? I would think that it should read near 14v when at speed.

Welcome!

Personally, I like to try the easy stuff first. I would double check that your battery leads and terminals are clean and tight. Trace your ground wire from the battery back to the block, this may also have corrosion. I would also take a peak at each of your fuses, and, if possible, check each one with a multi-meter for resistance. Was the 12.68 volts running at idle?

What's the voltage at 3000 rpm. The bike doesn't have to be moving, but sometimes alternators don't put out full voltage at low rpms.

The voltage above 3000 rpm should definitely be above 13 volts (usually closer to 14 volts).

:dance:dance:dance

So I tested the charging system and battery after a good charge, and it appears to be ok. That is reassuring and I really appreciate the warm welcome and help from all.
Maybe another clue; I had just taken off the front fairing to replace the wind shield lift motor. It seems like that went well with everything going back together ok.
Any thoughts?

:wave:wave

Load Shed Relay?

So I tested the charging system and battery after a good charge, and it appears to be ok. That is reassuring and I really appreciate the warm welcome and help from all.
Maybe another clue; I had just taken off the front fairing to replace the wind shield lift motor. It seems like that went well with everything going back together ok.
Any thoughts?

:wave:wave

In addition to checking the battery leads and ground as drneo66 suggested, maybe check that the load shed relay is connected and working properly since you removed the fairing. Does the headlight come on when you turn the ignition on, then turn off while you are cranking the engine? Load shed relay is designed to remove headlight power while the starter is engaged.

I'm not sure about the LT, but the load shed relay is mounted under the front left corner of the fairing on K1200RS/GT bikes. If that's also the case with your LT, then it's quite possible you disconnected (and forgot to reconnect) the relay when you replaced the windshield motor.... or perhaps disturbed other wires leading to the instrument panel.

Whether a bad/disconnected load shed relay or such loose connections would exhibit the symptoms you described is debatable, but it's definitely worth checking where you last worked to help rule out the easy stuff first.

-MTS

Back