• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pillion wants to be able to see over my head???

hbjones65

I have a strange question; my wife wants to be able to see over my head when we are 2-up on my 2008 BMW R1200RT. To my knowledge, I have the stock, heated seat and bar risers; came with the bike when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I am wondering if a low-seat and ditching the bar risers would help? It does not help that she cannot see my stock mirrors. I thought about adding the GS mirrors so that maybe she has something else to look at.

Anyone else encountered this issue?

Maybe you will tell me that I simply need to trade-up to a K1600GTL. Ha Ha

I know; these are first world problems, but we are just trying to plan out an epic post-ride after the 2018 Rally in Des Moines, and this is her #1 concern

-Harold

She wants to look directly over your helmet and not over your shoulders, is that correct?
How tall are you and how tall is your wife?

Welcome to the forum.

Put a camera on the front of your helmet connected to a tablet mounted on the back. She can watch movies when she's tired of looking at the road.:rofl

I really can't see how removing handlebar risers would make any difference.

How close is she to seeing over your head as she sits now? A lower seat for you might help, but I'd hesitate to raise hers very much, as that is not good for handling.

I see two possibilities: an "S" style bike with the rider in a forward lean and the passenger more upright (I see this a lot in college towns), or get a king/queen seat like used on baggers or bobbers or whatever it is the HD folks call these things.

You may also want to note whether your seat is in the high or low position. An Airhawk or sheepskin pad may also give her an extra lift without requiring a seat change.

Some research needs to be done. Get a friend to help then get on the bike with your wife in your normal riding positions. You may need to put something under the front wheel to get the bike level. Have the friend determine how much you will need to go down and/or your wife needs to go up. Experiment with alternative seating positions for you, for example without the bar risers. You can add some padding under your wife to see if perhaps an add on item such as an AirHawk will solve the problem. You may find that the gap is too large to make meeting your wife’s wishes practical.

Does she realize how much more wind blast and noise she will be getting? It's usually more comfortable to sit lower and look over the riders shoulders.

In agreement

Does she realize how much more wind blast and noise she will be getting? It's usually more comfortable to sit lower and look over the riders shoulders.

As a longtime pillion (over 300, 000 mile) I agree with this totally. Before getting a BMW System 2 (main years ago, since updated)) on a ride to Flagstaff AZ Rally I had so much trouble with my neck due to the wind buffeting could not image if I was actually looking over my husband's head.

Just my two cents worth.

As a longtime pillion (over 300, 000 mile) I agree with this totally. Before getting a BMW System 2 (main years ago, since updated)) on a ride to Flagstaff AZ Rally I had so much trouble with my neck due to the wind buffeting could not image if I was actually looking over my husband's head.

Just my two cents worth.

Along these lines... borrow a crotch rocket for a day and give her a ride she'll never forget... Nuff said.

Thanks for the many replies and suggestions. You have given me some good food for thought and homework, too. I will keep you posted when/if we can find a good compromise.

I even thought about fitting some K1200RS mirrors to supplement the factory mirrors. I know on our previous bike, she could see vehicles coming up from behind us. I definitely don't want her sitting up too much higher for the higher-CG and the wind buffeting a couple of you mentioned.

I know one solution might be to put her on her own bike, but that has its pros and cons too. :)

Best Regards to you all. We will see you out there...somewhere.

-Harold

Back