• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally Area Ride Thread....

mike m

I'm planning my ride up along the Mississippi River from St. Louis for the Rally---one of the members here set me up with a great 370 mile route. Once there it sounds like the Iowa Fairgrounds will be a fantastic venue, the weather should be temperate and I'm told there's lots of fun nightlife in and around Des Moines---assuming I decide to leave the beer garden some evening. :drink

I'm also planning to take rides to the Anamosa Motorcycle Museum, the Field of Dreams and see the Bridges of Madison County---all nearby Des Moines area.

My hope is for some of the locals and others who know the area will post some other area rides through the Iowa backroads and countryside.

I'm planning my ride up along the Mississippi River from St. Louis for the Rally---one of the members here set me up with a great 370 mile route. Once there it sounds like the Iowa Fairgrounds will be a fantastic venue, the weather should be temperate and I'm told there's lots of fun nightlife in and around Des Moines---assuming I decide to leave the beer garden some evening. :drink

I'm also planning to take rides to the Anamosa Motorcycle Museum, the Field of Dreams and see the Bridges of Madison County---all nearby Des Moines area.

My hope is for some of the locals and others who know the area will post some other area rides through the Iowa backroads and countryside.

Field of Dreams is really cool and worth the visit as is Anamosa. I forgot about Bridges of Madison County! Also, not sure where but John Wayne's birthplace is in IA. Also worth the visit is Baxter Cycle in Marne IA and American Pickers home in La Claire. Lots of cool stuff in IA!

I forgot about Bridges of Madison County! Also, not sure where but John Wayne's birthplace is in IA. Also worth the visit is Baxter Cycle in Marne IA

John Wayne's birthplace is in Winterset which is in Madison County.
Winterset (1).jpg

Baxter Cycle is a good stop to check out their collection.
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

OK the John Wayne home is now on my list!

Winterset built a new John Wayne museum a couple years ago. It's located a block or two south of the town square.

The Northside Cafe, which was in the Bridges of Madison County movie is on the north side of the square.

Some of the county roads I ride near Winterset are, G4R, P71, and G50.
Hwy 69 from Indianola to Osceola is another one I hit.
Van Wall Powersports is in Indianola. VanWall has BMW, Honda, Yamaha and Polaris.

If you have never been up close to wind turbines take P71 out of Winterset, then G61 to Macksburg.

Axio.jpg

Mississippi Route

I've done that ride from St. Louie up river to Dubuque. Great route but be prepared for a long ride in time, not miles. Took almost all day so sit back and enjoy.....leave early!

Thanks for posting roads (with towns) and local knowledge on food and puts of interest.
That's exactly what I expect from asking the locals.

Keep 'em coming.

Charlie

I have a rough route planned in Iowa but would appreciate input and must-sees from those with local experience.

Glenlivet's litter is having a reunion in southern Wisconsin to celebrate their second birthday, so we'll cross at Prairie du Chien. From there north to Harpers Ferry, then west on A52 thru Waukon to Decorah where I've heard there are a couple of decent breweries and a park with a waterfall for my dog to play in. From there south on 52, looping over to Spillville and Fort Atkinson before dropping down to West Union and taking 150 all the way south to Independence, where we'll stop for the night.

The next morning we continue south to US 30, jog west a bit, do a loop from Chelsea to Haven to Tama to Montour, then south on 146 to Grinnell. I nearly attended Grinnell College back in the day and have always wanted to see it. Then a short length of Interstate to Des Moines.

With the exception of the first day from Prairie du Chien to Fort Atkinson, and the Chelsea to Montour loop on the second day, it looks like a lot of flat farm country...but on my previous rides across the country I've found most small towns full of genuinely warm, friendly people so that's not much of a concern. Besides, after spending a couple of days with eleven two year old golden retrievers a bit less drama might be just the ticket!

Pete

I have a rough route planned in Iowa but would appreciate input and must-sees from those with local experience.

Decorah, Waukon and West Union is a nice scenic part of the state. The topography changes at West Union, with hills to the east and crop ground to the west.
I like Iowa farms in July. Corn and beans are up and everything is green. Northern Iowa has nice farmsteads.

We have ate at the Westside Family Restaurant in Grinnell a couple times and liked it. It on the west side of town on the north side of hwy 6.

The town of Pella, about 45 minutes from the rally, has a cool historical village reminiscent of the early settlers' home in Amsterdam. Also, the Saturday of the rally the town is having some sort of antique car show.

https://www.traveliowa.com/calendar/resurrected-tin-and-bologna-nationals-car-show/1622447/

Pete

WOW ... very cool! I ran into a similar car show last year on my way to Salt Lake. It was in Baldwin City KS and was fun to walk around. Thanks for sharing!

Frank Lloyd Wright house

About 25 miles east of Waterloo, just south of 20 near Quasqueton is cedar rock park. The Walter house, built by Frank Lloyd Wright is open for tours. This house is just as Wright designed it. Few Wright homes are open for tours and fewer yet have all their original furnishing. The tour is free, but donations are accepted.

food and points of interest.

Each year the Des Moines Register chooses the 10 best burgers in Iowa.
Here's the list for 2017.

The list, in alphabetical order:

Ankeny Diner, Ankeny
BeerBurger, North Liberty
BW’s Burgers, West Des Moines
Doc’s Stadium Bar & Grill, Jefferson
Down Right Delicious, Clarinda
Elm’s Club, Creston
Saucy Focaccia, Cedar Rapids
Smokin’ Hereford, Storm Lake
The Irish Shanti, Elgin
Vaughn’s Café and Bakery, Clarinda

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...2017/05/01/2017-s-best-burger-iowa/308276001/

Here's the winners from the last 5 years for the best Pork Tenderloin.

2017 Grid Iron Sports Bar and Grill, Webster City

2016: Nick's, Des Moines

2015: Belmond Drive-In, Belmond

2014: Lucky Pig Pub & Grill, Ogden

2013: River Rock Café, Mount Pleasant

Nick's is 9 miles south west of the fairgrounds on Army Post Road.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Iow...e6c6224ce5!2m2!1d-93.6290315!2d41.5261722!3e0

Ankeny Diner, Ankeny
Elm’s Club, Creston
The Irish Shanti, Elgin

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...2017/05/01/2017-s-best-burger-iowa/308276001/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Iow...e6c6224ce5!2m2!1d-93.6290315!2d41.5261722!3e0

We are staying in Clive ... any close bye?

Best Pork Tenderloin

Ankeny Diner, Ankeny
Elm’s Club, Creston
The Irish Shanti, Elgin

Have you tried Smitty's on Army Post Road? It is my understanding that they have been there since 1964.

Back