• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping at the rally?

millman

Where are the camping locations going to be and does the registration include camping fees? Is there a event site map and not the state fair map anywhere? Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first national rally! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camping is included in the rally fee. Go register. Find some grass. Setup your tent. Done. Been that way since 1984 in our experience. :wave

Where are the camping locations going to be and does the registration include camping fees? Is there a event site map and not the state fair map anywhere? Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first national rally! Thanks in advance!

Registration includes camping unless you have a RV. The RV camping is on the west side of the fairgrounds. Sound like tent camping will be throughout the fairgrounds with a few areas not available for camping.
It's a little early for a rally map, but at a later date one will be available.

Great! Thanks everyone! Looking forward to meeting new riders and hearing some new stories.

A couple of examples of camping from previous rallies.

i-sfsZ392-L.jpg

i-MkfCjL4-X2.jpg

Is there a event site map and not the state fair map anywhere? Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first national rally!

I normally don't read my magazines until winter. Reading one of the ONs from last year, I saw mentioned the 2017 Rally Map would be available in June.
I'm guessing it will be May or June again this year.

Yes they were.
My understanding is that Theo is retiring and has sold out. The new owner is evaluating rates, amenities, stuff like that.
So watch his website I guess.
www.sherpapacker.com

Joe

Here's a email I received from the new owner.

Hi Lee- I just bought the business from Theo and am getting everything together for the new season. We are working out those details right now. We should be there! I just have to talk with Deb Lauer on Monday to confirm some details. I just put up a preliminary page on the new website. We may add a glamping package with bigger tents and more comfortable sleeping arrangements.

http://www.sherpapackers.com/bmw-moa.html

Peter Crawford

Here's a email I received from the new owner.

Hi Lee- I just bought the business from Theo and am getting everything together for the new season. We are working out those details right now. We should be there! I just have to talk with Deb Lauer on Monday to confirm some details. I just put up a preliminary page on the new website. We may add a glamping package with bigger tents and more comfortable sleeping arrangements.

http://www.sherpapackers.com/bmw-moa.html

Peter Crawford

Yep. I got a similar response.

Joe

Iowa Fair Grounds Map

A FAIRly good map of the Iowa State Fairgrounds can be located on the Fair's website.

www.iowastatefair.org

Locate the map link way up in the right hand corner of the home page. Hope this helps!

Recommend Sherpa Packers

Not being a camper, I decided to try Sherpa Packers at the Hamburg Rally. I really enjoyed the whole experience. I just showed up and everything was already set up. I enjoyed a beer each night and coffee and light breakfast in the morning. When the Rally was over, I just hopped on the bike and rode away. Highly recommend their service.

Quick question for those who've been to these camp sites/rallies and tented.

Do folks leave their gear in the tents without worrying about their stuff growing legs? Is the consensus it's

rare
very rare
a risk one has to take
likely

My dry bag wouldn't fit in the panniers or top box even if I put everything back in it every morning [ it's being strapped to the back seat across the panniers with ROK straps for the trip ].

I hate being a newb and asking these questions. Excuse my paranoia about this, but if the members with more experience have it figured out the best way to secure their stuff, I'd rather learn the easier way by asking from the more experienced members here.

On a side note, no reserving a spot, what's the best time to get to the gate and be able to check in and go find a grassy area? Early Thursday, come in late Wednesday night? What say the knowledge base here?

I'm looking forward to making my first trip to these events. Coming in from Az.

Safety

Most old people already have all the crap they need, if they don't it's way to much trouble to steal it they would have to carry stuff some distance, and worse might have to run.

In the members informed opinions from past events, what's the best time to arrive to register/check in and be able to find a grassy knoll to set up this year?

Sorry for all the newb questions, I'm 66 and on my own, want to make this as painless as possible. Thanks in advance

Quick question for those who've been to these camp sites/rallies and tented.

Do folks leave their gear in the tents without worrying about their stuff growing legs? Is the consensus it's

rare
very rare
a risk one has to take
likely

My dry bag wouldn't fit in the panniers or top box even if I put everything back in it every morning [ it's being strapped to the back seat across the panniers with ROK straps for the trip ].

I hate being a newb and asking these questions. Excuse my paranoia about this, but if the members with more experience have it figured out the best way to secure their stuff, I'd rather learn the easier way by asking from the more experienced members here.

On a side note, no reserving a spot, what's the best time to get to the gate and be able to check in and go find a grassy area? Early Thursday, come in late Wednesday night? What say the knowledge base here?

I'm looking forward to making my first trip to these events. Coming in from Az.

I have never heard of anything ever being stolen by rally goers at any rally I ever attended. People leave jackets and helmets and tank bags on their bikes all the time.
The lost and found booth is a popular spot as many people who find wallets, phones, keys etc bring them there.
Chances are that if you're missing something it'll end up there.
Having said that, it is prudent to lock valuables in a pannier just like you would anywhere.

At the Top of the Rockies rally one year, some people did find some things missing but it turned out to be the local kids who were promptly turned in by their parents and everyone got their stuff back AFAIK.
The local town's folk in Paonia CO like the rally, as a portion of the proceeds are donated to local charities so they took action and all turned out well.:dance

Back