• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2019 F850GS Adventure

The new 750/850GS looks good, and it will probably be a decent bike, but IMHO it is grossly overpriced. Similar bikes with Chinese engines typically sell for about half the asking price of the new 750/850GS.

I think BMW is set to make a lot of money on this model.

I’m curious on what the big (read noticeable) difference is over the F800GS? On Max’s site there has been a lot of talk about how big a deal the F800GS is/was :dunno
OM

Nice pictures :thumb
Looks like tubeless tires, that’s an improvement. Seat looks it needs a pad or two or three :eek
OM

Nice pictures :thumb
Looks like tubeless tires, that’s an improvement. Seat looks it needs a pad or two or three :eek
OM

The seat felt very hard but the shape was good.
You never really know if a seat is good unless you do a couple long days in a row.

I rented an F800GS for almost three weeks in Eastern Europe in September and test-rode an F850GS a week ago, along with a back-to-back test ride on an R1200GS. My observations based upon those rides:

Tubeless tires on the 850 are a plus, and electronics are better.
Relocating the fuel tank made the 850 feel to me more top-heavy than the 800.
The 850 seat is longer and much more comfortable.
The 850 has a bit more oomph up high, gets buzzy at the same rpm range as the 800, and to me felt to have no more low speed torque than the 800.
Physically, the 850 just feels like a bigger motorcycle, almost the same sizing as the R1200GS save for the width.
At certain engine speeds I was surprised that the 1200 was much more buzzy through the seat than the 850, but the extra power was really nice for roadwork.

All three bikes were great rides, I flogged the F800GS hard in Europe—through highway use, serious twisties, and broken one-lane paved roads, and it did everything I asked and never left me wanting. For me, if I were buying a bike tomorrow I could be happy with the F800 and some tweaks (like aftermarket saddle) and I’m betting there will be lots of low-mileage used ones starting to show up next spring and prices might trend downward a bit. If I were buying new, I’d definitely take the 850 over the 800 just for the tubeless wheels and electronics. But if I were buying new, right now, I’d spend the money for the 1200–it’s not that much physically larger or heavier than the 850, has a lot more power, and is a proven item with an unlimited range of farkles immediately available. Swallow hard and write the check...

My $0.02 and worth what you paid for it.
Best,
DG

Back