• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 advice

DBCasey

Enjoy the ride!
My Mrs currently has a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc). This past fall she had a spill on it and it's got her thinking about a lighter touring bike. I, of course, mentioned a F800ST or F800GT as an option.

I'd like some advice on the big differences between the two as far as touring setups go. Seat/leg/arm positions, sidebags, windshields, etc. Do the F800s have cruise control like my RT? Is the windshield electronically or manually adjustable?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Our local BMW dealer is out of F800s but promises to give us a call when something comes in.

Thanks for your time,
Daryl

Here's a site where you can compare the Ergos of the ST and GT.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

It would be nice if she could test ride both to see if they work for her.

I like smaller bikes and thought I would like the F800GT, but I was surprised to find it was not for me when I had a loaner for 700 miles.
It was the hottest bike I have ridden and had too much vibration for me at interstate speeds.
Your wife may have different results. I've heard the ST is not hot like the GT.

I see Iowa City has two used F800GTs.
https://www.bmwmotorcyclesofiowacity.com/s/search/inventory/usage/Used/sort/best-match

The 2013 is probably the one I rode.

20150625_133819.jpg

My Mrs currently has a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc). This past fall she had a spill on it and it's got her thinking about a lighter touring bike. I, of course, mentioned a F800ST or F800GT as an option.

I'd like some advice on the big differences between the two as far as touring setups go. Seat/leg/arm positions, sidebags, windshields, etc. Do the F800s have cruise control like my RT? Is the windshield electronically or manually adjustable?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Our local BMW dealer is out of F800s but promises to give us a call when something comes in.

Thanks for your time,
Daryl

Of course you know that the ST is out of production now. 2012 was the last year, it was replaced by the GT.

I kept my ST (rather than trade for the GT) for a couple of specific reasons:
1. I prefer the smaller sport panniers of the ST to the regular larger saddlebags of the GT. To my eye, the regular bags look too big for that bike.
2. My ST does NOT have a heat issue like that ascribed to the GT. I have never noticed a heat discharge on my bike.
3. I prefer the slightly (very slightly) more lean forward riding position of my ST. It's simply what is more comfortable for me. As to the rest of the riding position (seat height, leg and foot position, etc) I found the ST and GT to be the same--at least I could not detect a difference.

The windshield is not adjustable, but for me that is fine. I find the stock screen shape and height to be fine and I have never wanted to make a change.

Neither the ST nor GT has factory cruise control. I don't like it on a motorcycle anyway, although I use the heck out of it on my cars.

I have ridden my ST all over the USA west of the Mississippi River, on all types of roads (paved only though). For solo riding I find it ideal. It cruises at 80-85 on the western Interstates and has plenty of punch to pass a truck while doing so. I have gotten an overall average of 55-56 mpg for the five+ years I have ridden it. I usually bungee a small water-proof duffle on the back seat and that is sufficient for a one-week trip.

Bottom line: The F800ST is what I consider the perfect bike for me.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Back