• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dynamic brakelight?

rapiddog

Barback King
I assumed my 2017.5 GS had the dynamic brakelight having that it's fully loaded.
Not clear on whether it's approved for US models (yet?), but my wingman is telling me he sees no flashing or other such function on hard braking or decelleration...

I just did the "Build Your Own" system for the 2018 models (RT & GS). I believe Dynamic Brakelight is included on models outside the US. It's not available even as an option on the US model website.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Dangit! That's one of the features besides ABS pro that checked a box for me.
Bummer. Well at least I know my scooter isn't broken ;) ...

For those of us with ABS Pro, I remain optimistic that when the regulators on this side of the pond approve it, the dynamic brake light can be activated by a programming update. At least I was led to believe that when I purchased my '16 RT.

I know the Clearwater Billie is the favored light bar but I'm really impressed with my Admore light. It is canbus capable but is all self contained so doesn't need extra modules for control. It's programmed using computer and USB port so you can't change it easily but I have never felt a need to change since I set it up. Last fall I had a guy who was following me in a pickup truck flag me down because he wanted to know what brand the light was. He was so impressed with how effective it was, he told me he had to get one.

Well I do have the EZCAN installed. I figured I didn't need the brakelight function because the bike had the dynamic BL.
It wasn't til this wekend I remembered to ask my buddy to tell me if it was working...nope.
I could use the EZCAN hookup but I've kind of made a pledge to myself to not start cutting into wiring on this new bike. Been there many times on the others :)
But yeah I could add something with the EZ.

I just did the "Build Your Own" system for the 2018 models (RT & GS). I believe Dynamic Brakelight is included on models outside the US. It's not available even as an option on the US model website.

Is your "build your own" system different than those mentioned below? I like the idea of the hazard lights activating as well.

...well since I have the EZCAN I'm going to ad some el cheapo LEDs to my license plate.
For $9.99 I can wait til the real deal comes to the US.
2x 4.5" Universal Motorcycle LED Third Brake Light Running Light Super Red 6SMD
71IyoU494hL._SL1200_.jpg

USA regulations go to great extent to assure civilian vehicles don't emulate police vehicles ... hence in this case no flashing red lights.

Mercedes, BMW, etc., can't even use the typical German orange turn signal bulb at the front, as it's not the USA official shade of orange.

I just can not see any policeman anywhere pulling you for flashing brake lights to alert people you are stopped.

I would never, but every family has members that are strange and unpredictable. Or ones you would like to “divorce” from the family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just can not see any policeman anywhere pulling you for flashing brake lights to alert people you are stopped.

... which doesn't make it legal for BMW to import bikes with this feature.

See the recall regarding saddlebag reflectors--another thing you'll never be stopped for.

Can someone please explain what's legal on a brakelight in CA?

I'm not sure exactly what the law states, but I can say that I have had my Billie Jr flashing brake light from Clearwater on my bike for a year in greater LA and the Police haven't had an issue with the way it functions.

I have it set to the default behavior where it will flash 3 (or 4, I can't remember exactly) times when I apply the brakes and I'm moving. If you're stopped and release and reapply the brakes, it will not flash. There are also settings available where if you rapidly decelerate without the brakes, the brake light will flash. You can set the brake light to not flash at all as well.

Hyper Lite

Has anyone tried a Hyper Lite? I used them on my 89 K100RS and they worked great, now I have a 2018 R1200RTW 719 ordered and don't really want the clearwater thingee

Back