• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I need to upgrade the pathetic factory horn

beemer01

So my bike is a 14 GS with the two wire connector to the factory horn. I bought the ‘canbus friendly’ Denali sound bomb, with their Bmw wiring adaptor. It’s actually not canbus friendly and trips the canbus circuit when I use it. Can someone refer me to a wiring schematic for installing a relay circuit that will provide the amps needed for the new horn?

Thanks in advance

Horn Upgrade

3%20Hornwiringdiagram-M.jpg

I hope this helps.

Mike

Horn Upgrade

I don't see how you could go wrong with that. I think I'd just break into the green wire, though, as the brown is already ground.

Mike

Or... use an ezCAN; no splicing or relay required. Just put the SoundBomb on Annie’s GS and it is very loud.

Last edited:
Hex-EZCAN

So I already have the HEX EZCAN gem and love the added functionality - but as I understand the current functionality and what I want, it won't work.

I'm running two aux LED lights, and an Aux brake light. The Aux driving lights are each on a separate channel, permitting the light on the side of the active turn signal to wink off, a function that is now common with LED headlight automobiles, and the brake light is taking another channel.

So this leaves the accessory channel which doesn't have sufficient amperage capacity at four amps to handle the horn.

If I'm mistaken feel free to pile on - I'd certainly prefer to leverage the EXCAN for this.

I just installed two aux lites on one high amp channel, a SoundBomb horn on the other high amp channel and Hyperlites on one low amp channel. The LED aux lites draw less than two amps each and could both be operated on a single low amp channel. Check the draw on yours to be sure. I think you will be pleased wit how clean and easy it is to run the new horn on the ezCAN. Leave the OEM horn on and you will not cause a code to be displayed.

I just installed two aux lites on one high amp channel, a SoundBomb horn on the other high amp channel and Hyperlites on one low amp channel. The LED aux lites draw less than two amps each and could both be operated on a single low amp channel. Check the draw on yours to be sure. I think you will be pleased wit how clean and easy it is to run the new horn on the ezCAN. Leave the OEM horn on and you will not cause a code to be displayed.

Could you set up the de-celerometer on the hyperlights so that they flash when you roll off the throttle?
If so, how was this done?
Which wires did you connect from the Hyperlights to the Ezcan?

I have the same setup as you and will be installing the ezcan.

Could you set up the de-celerometer on the hyperlights so that they flash when you roll off the throttle?
If so, how was this done?
Which wires did you connect from the Hyperlights to the Ezcan?

I have the same setup as you and will be installing the ezcan.

I soldered the blue and brown wires that come from the LED lights to the connector provided with the ezCAN. I completely removed the HyperLite control module. They work when either brake is activated, but Annie has not been able to ride it yet to see if the deceleration activation works.

Beemer01
I hope this helps clarify rather than add confusion.
i have a Hex EZ-Can installed on my GS
I have a pair of Denali D4's, a Denali Sound Bomb, and an auxlliary rear light all hooked up through the EZ-Can.
I use Profile #2 and I believe this is what you need to do to get the functionaity you desire.
The lights are each on a 4A channel that allows for dimming during turn signal activation. (The yellow and white channels.)
The Sound Bomb is on the red channel and the rating is set for 10A.
The rear light is on the orange channel and set for 4A

Apologies in advance if you'd already figured this out.

Desmo -

So I understand config Number two - so I'd be running the aux brake light on the accessory channel. Will I retain the programmed flashing sequences on the accessory channel?

So I understand config Number two - so I'd be running the aux brake light on the accessory channel. Will I retain the programmed flashing sequences on the accessory channel?

not unless your auxilliary brake lights have a flash controller built in.

Desmo -

Yep, so among my phobias is being rear ended by some soccer mom applying makeup.... while I'm minding my own business at a stop light.

To that end, I really do like the programed flash sequences that the HEX-EZCAN offers. I actually bought one of those public safety vehicle 'strobe' LED modules and mounted it below the factory LED taillight. I'll probably still get hit by a Barbie SUV someday, but at least I will have known that I tried to get the driver's attention!

Looks like I'm back to the relay approach for the horn!

Thanks everyone!

Yep, so among my phobias is being rear ended by some soccer mom applying makeup.... while I'm minding my own business at a stop light.

To that end, I really do like the programed flash sequences that the HEX-EZCAN offers. I actually bought one of those public safety vehicle 'strobe' LED modules and mounted it below the factory LED taillight. I'll probably still get hit by a Barbie SUV someday, but at least I will have known that I tried to get the driver's attention!

Looks like I'm back to the relay approach for the horn!

Thanks everyone!

Have you ever seen a Vizi-Tec module? This will enable you to use Option #2, an accessory port, and have a flashing tail light...I'll stop now.

EZ Can/ Vis Tech

Andrew, does that Vis Tec device plug directly into the EZ Can with the harness that it comes with from the factory?

Back