• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Warm & Safe Rider Classic Style Heated Gloves Review

moshe_levy

Hello All

Season 3 of Moto Mouth starts today! Sub-freezing temps here on the east coast have provided the ideal conditions to test Warm & Safe's new suite of heated gear, starting with these Rider Classic Style heated gloves. I'll be following up with the Heat Layer Shirt heated top in a few weeks....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_pl5f0i-jvc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Good review as always! Thank you.

A couple questions:
  1. Do these gloves have heating elements in both the palm of the hand and the back of the hand?
  2. I wonder why summer gloves have knuckle protection, but all I see on my Gerbing gloves and these Warm & Safe gloves is an extra layer of leather?

Chris

Good review as always! Thank you.

A couple questions:
  1. Do these gloves have heating elements in both the palm of the hand and the back of the hand?
  2. I wonder why summer gloves have knuckle protection, but all I see on my Gerbing gloves and these Warm & Safe gloves is an extra layer of leather?

Chris

Thank you, Chris. To your questions:

1) Back of the hand. I don't think I've ever personally tested heated gloves with a heating element in the palm. I'm guessing that would get enormously uncomfortable pretty quickly. I'm not sure if anyone makes gloves that way, but I'd be curious if anyone does (to try it for myself.)

2) There are plenty of heated gloves with additional armored protection. Just a few years ago, I tested the W&S "Ultimate II" heated gloves, for example. This is a revamped version here http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-touring-mens-heated-gloves/ and many other brands have more fortified variations on their heated gloves.

-MKL

Both of my Gerbing gloves have heating elements in both the palm and the back of the hand. They're a couple years old now, but I'm sure the new ones are similar.

Chris

Both of my Gerbing gloves have heating elements in both the palm and the back of the hand. They're a couple years old now, but I'm sure the new ones are similar.

Chris

Chris, that's interesting. I'm really not 100% sure on this issue - I can only say that I don't feel much warmth in the palm, which is fine since they're curled around the grips anyway. Curious what model Gerbing's you have? I have some at home from prior tests - G3 and T5 if I recall. I should check those. The G3s won my last heated glove comparison for MCN in 2010.

-MKL

I have the Gerbing T5 gloves, and older version and the newer version.

Here's some pictures of similar gloves off the web.

s-l1000.jpg

t5-hybrid-mens-r-800x842.jpg

The problem I find with both of these gloves is just getting warmth at the end of the fingertips. It's not bad...but could be better. And the right glove is not as warm as the left glove. I believe that is because of the DC voltage and longer wire run to the right glove. Battery powered gloves would be interesting to try because of that.

Chris

I have the Gerbing T5 gloves, and older version and the newer version.

Here's some pictures of similar gloves off the web.

View attachment 66262

View attachment 66263

The problem I find with both of these gloves is just getting warmth at the end of the fingertips. It's not bad...but could be better. And the right glove is not as warm as the left glove. I believe that is because of the DC voltage and longer wire run to the right glove. Battery powered gloves would be interesting to try because of that.

Chris

I have a much older version of those. I'll try them to see if there's an element in the palm. Honestly, it's been so long since I've worn them that I've forgotten.

-MKL

Both of my Gerbing gloves have heating elements in both the palm and the back of the hand.

I have non microwire Gerbing gloves I purchased in 2003 and I can't feel any wires in the palm and underside of the fingers.
I would think wires in that area would be uncomfortable.

Back