• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wixom bags and curry spray paint

Hi gang
Picked up a nice swb 1972 toaster and am looking for three things.
1 decent pair of wixom bags, in need of a light restoration.
2 Rattle can curry spray paint, I know I know. Just wondering if off the shelf paint could match bike color, bike will be a clean rider not a show piece.
3 A good pin striper in the Boston area.
BTW I have a spray gun and have painted a wixom faring and lowers on my green /5 with great results. Problem is the glasarit paint I bought was very expensive and can't touch up because it is a clear coat.
So let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Brian

Wixom bags

Brian, Have you considered joining the Yankee Beemers? Lots of knowledgeable members who should be able to answer all your questions and assist you if needed. The YBs also have a strong and dedicated Airhead contingent

Friedle

wixom bags and paint

Hi
Yes to "10drum" those are the style bags I'm considering.
I have 4 airheads and a few other brands too. Its a sickness and it doesn't bother me one bit. One airhead is a clean stock 1988 r100rt with Bmw bags of that era. Blue toaster lwb sports a cafe faring and a newer set of kruser bags. The green toaster lwb also has a cafe faring, dunstall pipes and a Rev-Pack tank bag, this bike is my favorite set up for summer riding. This bike also has a wixom faring and lowers painted green to match. I used to take off the cafe faring and put the wixom set up on it for winter riding before I got the RT. And new to me is a 72 swb curry toaster. I want to set up this curry bike to look different from the other rides so a set of period bags painted to match will do the trick.
TO "Freddie" yes I'm a yankee Beemer and an a member of the airhead Beemer club too.
I think I have a lead on a set of bags in good shape. I will consult some members of the other clubs but always run my questions by the forum first.
So any info on rattle can curry color paint and pinstripes anyone?
Thanks
Brian

Hi
Yes to "10drum" those are the style bags I'm considering.
I have 4 airheads and a few other brands too. Its a sickness and it doesn't bother me one bit. One airhead is a clean stock 1988 r100rt with Bmw bags of that era. Blue toaster lwb sports a cafe faring and a newer set of kruser bags. The green toaster lwb also has a cafe faring, dunstall pipes and a Rev-Pack tank bag, this bike is my favorite set up for summer riding. This bike also has a wixom faring and lowers painted green to match. I used to take off the cafe faring and put the wixom set up on it for winter riding before I got the RT. And new to me is a 72 swb curry toaster. I want to set up this curry bike to look different from the other rides so a set of period bags painted to match will do the trick.
TO "Freddie" yes I'm a yankee Beemer and an a member of the airhead Beemer club too.
I think I have a lead on a set of bags in good shape. I will consult some members of the other clubs but always run my questions by the forum first.
So any info on rattle can curry color paint and pinstripes anyone?
Thanks
Brian

Brian, I don’t think I’m gonna use the bags. They’re already off the bike. I just got the bike Saturday. It the second Beemer I’ve had. I’m an old triumph guy. I just wanted an old bike with electric start as a round town rider. I have a couple of Japanese bikes, but they just don’t have the personality of European bikes. If the bags you have a lead on falls through, send me a pm.

Found paint

Hi
Finally got some bags, thanks 10drum. Going to clean them up, fiberglass the cracks and holes and paint them. Found a rattle can rustoleum color that matches the curry paint very close. The paint on the bike is original so I don't want the bags perfect or new looking. I will sand, prime, and paint. Not to worry about scuffs and scrapes with rattle can job. I would be sick if I scratched up a professional job. So found bags and paint, now need to find a pinstriped in Boston area.
Thanks
brian

Pinstripe

Hi
The color is close enough for a clean rider. The finish will be on the semi gloss side and will match the patina of the original paint. I will spend some extra time on the lids and will only run a stripe down the lid. Another plus for rattle can is touching up. All my bags are a little scuffed, and the wixoms are scratched and cracked. I want the bike to look cool and clean but I want a user, a daily driver. After I finish sanding and filling all the scratches I will paint and reinstall trim and hardware. After mounting and riding around I won't worry about scratching them up in parking lots or bushes. And as mentioned touchups will be easy. I enjoy working on bike projects like this. Makes the cold riding season a little more fun.
Brian

Brian, I’ve had good luck with my local body shop, painting oil tanks and side covers on the british bikes. I get them ready to paint, (primered and/or sanded). I take them buy the body shop, and ask, the next time you’re painting something black, would you paint these? Usually it’s around $50.

Painted bags

Hi
Thanks again for the bags. I have a great body guy, just don't know when he is going to be spraying copper color paint. Besides I have a heated shop and I can do this job at my pace and all in-house except for the stripe. I'm a retired shop teacher and enjoy the hands on part of these machines and I really enjoy the painting and finish work. I'm hoping to find a stripe guy to do it while I wait. Will send photos when I'm done. Now anyone know a striper in the Boston area.
Thanks
Brian

Hi
Thanks again for the bags. I have a great body guy, just don't know when he is going to be spraying copper color paint. Besides I have a heated shop and I can do this job at my pace and all in-house except for the stripe. I'm a retired shop teacher and enjoy the hands on part of these machines and I really enjoy the painting and finish work. I'm hoping to find a stripe guy to do it while I wait. Will send photos when I'm done. Now anyone know a striper in the Boston area.
Thanks
Brian

I'm sorry, I guess I assumed you were going to keep the bags black, the body shop will want more $, if they are going to have to do a specific color, not just add the bags to the next car being painted. That copper color will be a tough match. Our NAPA store has a computer match device, they can match the paint, and put it in a rattle can. I think it cost about $15. I had a tank on a Triumph they matched for me, and it was a dead on perfect match.

Wixom bags

I'm sorry, I guess I assumed you were going to keep the bags black, the body shop will want more $, if they are going to have to do a specific color, not just add the bags to the next car being painted. That copper color will be a tough match. Our NAPA store has a computer match device, they can match the paint, and put it in a rattle can. I think it cost about $15. I had a tank on a Triumph they matched for me, and it was a dead on perfect match.

Hi
Looks like I'm in good shape. Found paint in a spray can that matches very close. Have a fiberglass repair kit. Got a few leads on pinstripers too. I was looking for the quick disconnect bolts and pins for the right side bracket and I found them right here in the marketplace. Bracket needs to be removed so seat can swing open. I am very excited, now I just have to use a little elbow grease and get the job done before riding season. Thanks to all you guys for the info, I really appreciate it.
Brian

Back