• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

iPod playback problems on ‘14 RT

fletchdude

I used to be able to connect an iPod to the accessory cable in the right compartment and play and control my music through the speakers using the handgrip hamster wheel. Then last summer it starting slowly breaking down. It’l either stop working all together or I get no sound. I’ve tried this with different apple products like a gen 2 nanno with the old connector, two different latest gen nannos, iPhone 6, 7 and X. Slightly different failure modes between the Apple products but essentially the same result, doesn’t play music. Ive replaced both the removable accessory adapter cable for the iPods and had the bike internal cable replaced. The only thing left is the radio itself.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I’m about to give up and make a USB stick.

Fletch

I used to be able to connect an iPod to the accessory cable in the right compartment and play and control my music through the speakers using the handgrip hamster wheel. Then last summer it starting slowly breaking down. It’l either stop working all together or I get no sound. I’ve tried this with different apple products like a gen 2 nanno with the old connector, two different latest gen nannos, iPhone 6, 7 and X. Slightly different failure modes between the Apple products but essentially the same result, doesn’t play music. Ive replaced both the removable accessory adapter cable for the iPods and had the bike internal cable replaced. The only thing left is the radio itself.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I’m about to give up and make a USB stick.

Fletch

It's a total guess here, but when digital things like this degrade over time, it's often a software issue.

If you haven't, I'd try to "reboot" the radio. I'd either disconnect the bike's battery for 10 minutes or so, or pull the fuse for the radio, and then hook it back up again and see if that fixes the problem. No cost to try and might save you some hassles.

It's a total guess here, but when digital things like this degrade over time, it's often a software issue.

If you haven't, I'd try to "reboot" the radio. I'd either disconnect the bike's battery for 10 minutes or so, or pull the fuse for the radio, and then hook it back up again and see if that fixes the problem. No cost to try and might save you some hassles.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

I started having some of the same issues shortly after I bought my 2015 new. I gave up and just did the USB stick...works like a charm and I've never had any issues. Plus, I don't have to worry about it getting overheated in hot summer weather riding, which can be a problem with iPhones and iPods.

I've loaded songs from several albums, each in an album's folder, and the MP3 files play great but are scrambled in order and albums are mixed together. Any advice on how to set up the files on the flash drive so I can use the WW to select an album?

I've loaded songs from several albums, each in an album's folder, and the MP3 files play great but are scrambled in order and albums are mixed together. Any advice on how to set up the files on the flash drive so I can use the WW to select an album?

So, in my understanding, this is all related to how the MP3's were ripped or obtained. I use a USB stick as well, and don't have this problem at all - I can select/play by song, artist, album, etc. - but all of that info is in my MP3 files. A standard MP3 file includes information about the song in "Meta Tags". If your files don't have the relevant meta tag information, the radio on the bike can't sort them like you would wish.

There are some tools you can download to "fix" meta tags on existing MP3 files. The one I use is MP3tag which you can get here. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I hope this helps...

Thanks, Bob. My MP3 files were exported from iTunes and still retain all the metadata. I had put them in separate folders, by album, which may have confused the bike's system. I'll clean up the directory and give another try. And I'll check out your software suggestion as well.

Thanks, Bob. My MP3 files were exported from iTunes and still retain all the metadata. I had put them in separate folders, by album, which may have confused the bike's system. I'll clean up the directory and give another try. And I'll check out your software suggestion as well.

Ok, you are probably right about the directories being the issue. With mine, I have a couple of directories (mainly arrangement by Genre - since the radio doesn't let you sort based on that) and when I have selected a directory "Rock" (for example) the radio will organize by albums, artists, etc.

I have not tried it, but the radio will also (supposedly) run a .M3U playlist that you have included in a directory with the music files.

Back