• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Canadian Getaways? AGAIN?

clowry

I just saw that the MOA Getaways for 2018 have been posted - GREAT!

After scanning the list, I realized that there are none in Canada again this year. When the Muskoka Getaway (for one) was quietly dropped last year, those who asked about it were told there were some issues organizing it and left with the impression it would be back for 2018. It isn't, and I'd like to know why. As a Canadian, I can't help but feel a bit put out that EVERYTHING the club does serves the U.S.A. only.

I believe it has to do with BMW Clubs Canada, they are now the umbrella club for Canadian BMW clubs both car and motorcycle.

My understanding it was a little political that BMWCC didn't want the MOA doing something in Canada. But don't quote me on that.

Also a lot of Canadian members didn't like the fact we had to pay in USD to attend a function in Canada.

Ever since the new guidelines for umbrella clubs came into effect it has not been the same.

Just my two cent's worth.

I started a conversation with the MOA about putting together a Getaway up here in Newfoundland. There is a lot of planning involved and to pull one off in the location I was thinking of would take a fair bit of legwork just to make accomodations work. The idea is not gone but it's on the back burner on my end for now.

MOA Canada Getaway sounds Great

I am in for a MOA Canada Getaway. Of course it helps with my interest that I live in a border state of Michigan. However, I traveled a long way to go to a Getaway in Colorado this year and it was a blast. Traveling in Canada is always a good time, so hopefully a Getaway may get set up for next year. Newfoundland would be a great two week trip on the bike. Just curious, is this area mostly French speaking area like Quebec?

Just curious, is this area mostly French speaking area like Quebec?

Yes they speak english however many have an accent that we all love but may be hard to understand. Also added a ton of unique words. Best joke tellers in the world. Really. :nod

P.S. This is one Getaway that I would definitely consider travelling to in Canada since I have never been. Only ~6000 Km (3700 miles) one way.

Canada would be an excellent choice and needs to be explored further. BMWCC be dammed our Canadian members deserve similar opportunities that club members enjoy here. Canada is a diverse and beautiful country. I'm still more than a little miffed we don't organize an international rally up there somewhere or if that's too much at least a raid rally of some type.

With winter coming, it’s a perfect time for those interested in a :ca rally. Put one together for next year and “throw the horse over the fence some hay”. :wave
OM

My passport and associated paperwork have been sent in to get a renewal in order to assure I can travel to Canada and return home. Passports take a while to renew or acquire, and this is a good time for that.

Ok, the interest is there. The biggest early hurdle is the accomodations as the event needs to be able to handle 100-150 people and to do this in the location I was thinking of I would have to get more than one or two operators to buy in and agree on a single rate. As you can imagine this may not be feasible but 2 of the larger operators are friends of mine so it may be possible. I'll see about stating a couple of conversations.

As for language Quebec is French, New Brunswick is biligual and everywhere else is English. Most Newfoundlanders have very distint and unique accents and manner of speech that generally traces back to old Irish. When they're talking at 100 miles an hour they can be virtually impossible to understand.

That being said Newfoundland is generally described as being a very friendly place to visit. Living here often has different implications but that's true pretty much anywhere.

Ok, the interest is there. The biggest early hurdle is the accomodations as the event needs to be able to handle 100-150 people and to do this in the location I was thinking of I would have to get more than one or two operators to buy in and agree on a single rate. As you can imagine this may not be feasible but 2 of the larger operators are friends of mine so it may be possible. I'll see about stating a couple of conversations.

As for language Quebec is French, New Brunswick is biligual and everywhere else is English. Most Newfoundlanders have very distint and unique accents and manner of speech that generally traces back to old Irish. When they're talking at 100 miles an hour they can be virtually impossible to understand.

That being said Newfoundland is generally described as being a very friendly place to visit. Living here often has different implications but that's true pretty much anywhere.

While Quebec official language is French, we welcome millions of visitors every year that do no speak French.

regards,

Robert Charron

Back