• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Kerrville, Texas - November 9-11, 2018

Hi, I recently renewed my membership and was thinking of attending the getaway in Kerrville.

Only issue is I don’t have a BMW as of now and would probably attend on my KTM SMT. Is that ok?

I had an 1150GS and recently sold it.

I live in Austin and was thinking of just taking some time off to ride rather then working incessantly.

Perhaps I see you out there? Need to put a tire on tomorrow so I’m GTG.

Welcome back:wave

There were several non Beemers there last year, everyone welcome. I may pop in on KTM too:whistle

I have a guest going with me for the Kerrville Getaway. Do we have to register them for them to have access to the festivities. Namely the meal. She might get a tad mad if I don't feed her. She isn't a club member. Thanks in advance

John Hall

Would hope Paul chimes in, but seems to get the meal you need to be registered. Sure there's a workaround to keep you out of trouble.

Booked my room and payed up. Guess I’ll see you out there.

Just put a new rear on the SMT.

Last edited:
I registered her for good measure. I see check in isn't till 4pm. I wonder how flexible they are. I was shooting to be there for about two. But I can extend my time looking around I'm certain.

No harm in checking with the front desk to see if your room is ready. If not, there's a beautiful western themed lobby at the hotel where you can hang out. You can always shoot the breeze with the other early birds (maybe me!)

If hanging out is too boring for you, how about a small scenic excursion very close to the hotel?

There's a side road next to the hotel... Loop 534. Take that road about 1 mile Eastward to the traffic light at the top of the hill. Turn left on Cypress Creek.
In about 13 miles Cypress Creek hooks back up with I-10. Jump on I-10 and run West back to/exit Hwy16/Sydney Baker and turn left back to the hotel.

That will kill about 30 to 45 minutes and your room should be ready!

:beer

My daughter is in San Marcos, our planned route takes us through there. That with the planned stops along the route should get us closer to 4. I'll look for others when we get there. Supposed to rain down this way for the morning. It will be an interesting ride.

Who won the Foundation raffle bike?
I don't use Facebook to check there.

To support the Awareness Campaign and have a chance to win the R1100R, visit the Foundation's AWARENESS CAMPAIGN DONATION page or call the BMW MOA office at (864) 438-0962. A winner will be announced November 10 at the MOA's Weekend Getaway in Kerrville, Texas.

foundation_r1100r_2030.jpg

So how was it? I was staying in Fredericksburg over the weekend with friends and we rode out in that area both Friday and Saturday. Mostly BMW bikes out there, but I didn't get a chance to talk to any of them to see if they were part of the Getaway. Kind of cold and gray, but finally saw some sun on Saturday afternoon.

Who won the Foundation raffle bike?
I don't use Facebook to check there.

To support the Awareness Campaign and have a chance to win the R1100R, visit the Foundation's AWARENESS CAMPAIGN DONATION page or call the BMW MOA office at (864) 438-0962. A winner will be announced November 10 at the MOA's Weekend Getaway in Kerrville, Texas.

foundation_r1100r_2030.jpg

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/426564/R1100R-Sweepstakes-Winner-Announced-in-Texas.htm
Sunday, November 11, 2018 (0 COMMENTS)
Posted by: Ted Moyer, 100360

The MOA Getaway in Kerrville, Texas finished with a bang on Saturday night. Richard Bucholtz of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin was announced as the winner of the R1100R Sweepstakes.

Bucholtz' name was drawn from 2,896 entries for a fully restored 1999 R1100R. A crowd of 120 MOA members witnessed the drawing and live phone call to relay the good news.

Last edited:
So how was it? I was staying in Fredericksburg over the weekend with friends and we rode out in that area both Friday and Saturday. Mostly BMW bikes out there, but I didn't get a chance to talk to any of them to see if they were part of the Getaway. Kind of cold and gray, but finally saw some sun on Saturday afternoon.

We had 10 from BMWDFW make the Getaway and we had a fine, fine time. No crashes and no performance awards.:dance Despite the ugly clouds and cooler temps, we didn't see a drop of rain. Little sandy in some of the corners, but the roads were mainly free of debris. We always wish for perfect weather but the cool cloudiness kept the crowds down.

Took the crew up on the "Sisters" and for the most part found them free of traffic. Saw TONS of deer and 2 elk that must have escaped one of the game ranches. Saw the elk in one of those spots with high fences on both sides of the road. Made it a little spooky getting all the bikes by them. Speaking of game ranches... times must be rough in the Hill Country. Saw many For Sale signs up on those same ranches.

Later in the day on Saturday, when the sun came out, we ran across a pack of Mitatas going the opposite direction of travel from us... and a herd of Jeeps going the same direction as us. Fortunately the Jeeps peeled off at the Bent Rim Grill and we continued on without worry.

335 was back open, with no flagmen, by late Saturday afternoon. There was some construction rock and signs at the water crossing that had been washed out, but the crews had it packed down and wide enough for us to roll thru without problems. Several new asphalt patches on all the "3's" but they we're nice and smooth and caused no fear.

Some folks find the Getaway a little expensive (especially if you are a local and can do the Hill Country as a cheap-bastage), but once you get into the flow of things, the good food, accommodations, and the friendly riders it draws in, (and you get a t-shirt!) put all those thoughts at the back of your mind and you focus on the fun.

Good time.

We saw the Miata's on Saturday too. Hit 335 both days. The second day we saw some Axis deer on there, two does with a buck that had a huge rack. They just stared as we rode by. Usually we go to the Swamp Scooter Rally in LA this time of the year, but my little group decided to stay local and spend a long weekend in Fredericksburg. It wasn't until the day before I realized the BMW Getaway was the same weekend or we would have done it instead. I'll pay more attention next year.

Back