• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Kerrville, Texas - November 9-11, 2018

At first I was confused by the location because I only remember a post office at Mountain Home, but when I click on the link I see it at the hunting ranch.

I wonder if the event has moved to the ranch or if it's still at the Y.O. in Kerrville where it was in the past.

I wonder if the event has moved to the ranch or if it's still at the Y.O. in Kerrville where it was in the past.

Never been to the event. Great place to ride (three twisted sisters). Good eats at the old rail depot in Kerrville.

2018_0122_12475700.jpg

2018_0122_12490100.jpg

Didn't eat there yet, tourist town prices and better not go w/out H. Right by the Police Station and behind the Walgreens off 16

Go back and try it out at least once! I love that place. Try something that you would normally have some wine with and you won't be disappointed. IMHO.... particularly the items in the menus listed as specialties. The bacon wrapped beef with shrimp is one of my favs. And I think one of the most expensive. Go figger, Ha!

SS

YO Ranch Ratings

I’m contemplating the 1000 mile ride to this event as a change of plans had me cancel the Cedar Braeks Getaway earlier this year. I’ve been looking at the Trip Advisor reviews of this hotel and the reviews are quite mixed ranging from a dated facility to poor customer service. Can anyone shed some light on this place? I was at the Coeur d’ Alene event two years ago and that place is my reference point. Any input would be appreciated.

I’m contemplating the 1000 mile ride to this event as a change of plans had me cancel the Cedar Braeks Getaway earlier this year. I’ve been looking at the Trip Advisor reviews of this hotel and the reviews are quite mixed ranging from a dated facility to poor customer service. Can anyone shed some light on this place? I was at the Coeur d’ Alene event two years ago and that place is my reference point. Any input would be appreciated.

We were there as guests of the Concours Owners Group. Voni was a guest speaker. The facility was excellent.

I was at the Coeur d’ Alene event two years ago and that place is my reference point. Any input would be appreciated.

Don't know about the site you reference, but the Y.O. is one of the best hotels in Kerrville. That said, the YO is a little dated. (actually all the nicer non-chain hotels in Kerrville are dated... the Sunday House... Inn of the Hills) Has a western "main ranch-house" feel to it that was probably really cool 15-20 years ago. The hotel has an odd layout and is difficult to get around the grounds sometimes.

BUT! If the old west styling is your thing, you'll really like it there. That last time I was there, the hotel was really trying hard to stay with that upscale attitude. The hotel was pretty clean, and everyone I dealt with was very friendly and accommodating.

Except! One thing I did not like and the management didn't seem to care... the bar is way overcrowded with locals that are HEAVY smokers and drinkers. I'm neither but wanted a cold beer upon checking in. I had to fight my way thru the locals to get the bartender's attention and then it still took forever while she replaced drinks on the bar first. (no table service.... you have to push your way thru/between the seated bar-huggers and the mob around the free food table all to hope to get someone's attention.

Other than that one bitch, I think the YO is a nice place. I don't think you will feel you wasted your money picking the host hotel.

SS

I took a look at the photos on Trip Advisor and understand your concerns. For my opinion the photos obviously posted by the hotel are staged photos and the hotel doesn't look that new. But, the private photos at the end are not the kind of rooms I've experienced.

I went to the MOA Getaway last year and my room was no where near as gross at those photos. Maybe the hotel is trying harder since those photos were taken.

I hope and pray I've guided you correctly and you don't get one of "those" rooms.

There are plenty of newer chain hotels nearby if you get too spooked.

Stephen

While online reviews can be a great way to get some idea of the place you are considering staying, you always have to take them with a grain of salt.

You never know anything about the reviewer and their likes/dislikes, or more important their expectations (which can greatly affect the review). I always give a lot of weight to the average of the reviews, because of the factors I mentioned above, and to the most recent reviews.

You also never know the circumstances. For instance, if you come into a hotel the day after a big convention has been there you might have a totally different experience that if you arrived say three days later. Reviews rarely tell you anything about the circumstances that might have existed before, or during, the reviewers stay.

This is all to say that, I personally, would put more weight in the reviews of the members who attended a previous event at that facility.

I was there last year. Yes, the hotel is a little dated but the rooms were acceptable, actually kind of neat in a nostalgic sort of way. My bed was comfortable (or as comfortable as a hotel bed can be expected to be). My room was clean and everything in the bathroom worked as expected. The food in the restaurant ranged from very good to acceptable, just about the same as any other restaurant I eaten at more than once. This is not to say that everything was "perfect" but after all it is a hotel. If I want perfect I stay at home.
But all of this misses the point. When I go to a rally, hotel or camping, I go for two things; the riding and the people. And the Getaway in Kerrville promises to fill both of those criteria very well.

I went last year and despite the misty rainy weather still had a great time and made new friends. did have to throttle back a lot on the sisters because of the rain
looking forward to doing it again this year

Was in Kerrville last weekend between rainstorms. Some on and off local flooding and isolated road closures. One of the "Sisters" 335 was closed for several days from debris. Due to the hills and features of the land, the water goes away fairly quickly. Broken pavement here and there will be the biggest prob.
You may have to jig and jog around some if the rains keep up, but a majority of the fun stuff is still open and good riding.
I'm still going!
SS

Attachments

• SAM_0735 (1280x631).jpg
    SAM_0735 (1280x631).jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 189
I have a guest going with me for the Kerrville Getaway. Do we have to register them for them to have access to the festivities. Namely the meal. She might get a tad mad if I don't feed her. She isn't a club member. Thanks in advance

John Hall

Last edited:
Back