Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by xrsc View Post
    I have a room at Two wheel inn but I`m only there Fri/Sat...how/when/where at Fontana resort do I go to join in on the activities/rides/etc.?
    The main website link (at the top of this thread) seems to suggest that the hub is going to be the resort Recreation Hall. That's where you should probably head:

www.bmwmoa.org/event/fontana18
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The main website link (at the top of this thread) seems to suggest that the hub is going to be the resort Recreation Hall. That's where you should probably head:

www.bmwmoa.org/event/fontana18
    Thanks!
    2016 S1000XR
    2014 K1600GTL

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    A rather brisk ride has been... or will be had! I just had a look see at the current conditions and forecast for Saturday and Sunday.
    A fabulous indoor oriented gathering is in order at this weekend's leafless mountain Get.a.room away... with heating.
    Good riding though tomorrow a few minutes either side of 3pm!
    Yet with the fireplace, friends, good restaurant and bar.... we all wish we could be there with you's guy's!
    May a safe and big time (with sunshine at least) be had by all of you.

"travel'n" john
    ...advised by wise riders north, to remain in Florida till May sometime.

Early in the year had high hopes to attend the Fontana gateway.
    Called with intention to make reservation, but had no luck.
    Even had in mind going anyways, sure would find a spot to
    open up the tent. As weather here was miserable, i gave up.
    Am just wondering what have i missed? I didn't notice
    any comments about the event...

A great time was had by all stories and photos to follow.

R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Fontana Getaway review

This was my first MOA Getaway. Prior to this the only other MOA event I attended was the Rally in Hamburg. From my perspective the events are completely different. While I enjoyed the vendor hall and tech sessions at the Rally I did not really make any new friends. At this weekends Getaway it was more about riding and the smaller group made it easier to meet new people. Several folks approached me directly just to chat and get to know me. I really enjoyed this aspect because I made some great new friends. I kept hearing how I was one of the "younger guys" (I am 45) but that was OK. I really wanted to hear some good stories and learn from people who have done more than I have. Meeting Murielle was a highlight for me. I am planning a solo cross country trip and as a fellow solo traveller she had lots of good advice for me. Many other I spoke to also had good advice for what to do and not do for my trip. All in all it was a great weekend for me. The weather was nice and warm and great for riding on Saturday. The incoming rain forced me to depart earlier than I wanted to on Sunday, but I was content with the riding I had done. I am not sure how all the other Getaways are run, but if they are anything like Fontana then I am definitely going to hit a few more this year. Sorry I don't have any pics to share.

A BIG Thank You!

That big thank you goes to all who attended the "Funtana" event this year. I believe the event went very well and all had a great time. The weather was spectacular on Friday and Saturday and allowed almost everyone to get in a full day of riding the area. Once again the staff at the resort did a fantastic job for us and we were pleased to see once again that almost half of those in attendance were participating in their very first MOA event! Mari and I enjoyed working with a great team of volunteers and co hosts that together pulled off another great event!

The even better news is that the Fontana event kicks off the 2018 MOA Getaway season. There are more events than ever this year with 11 total and located around the country in superb riding locations, so make your plans now to attend all that you can. Register early as these events will sell out quickly!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

Well another FUN Fontana Getaway is in the books. This yearís getaway, for me, hit all the buttons. It started with my 468 mile trip from lower Alabama, through beautiful Georgia Pecan orchards, over Eufaula lake, where I was blessed with the an up close and personal view of a bald eagle fishing and a pair of ospreys nesting. As I was tracked on the ďfind a friendĒ app by my wife Rhonda, and my riding buddies that had the good sense to (and free time) to arrive early and get in the quality riding before the crowds arrived, I was greeted by cheers, hugs, and a parking spot as I pulled into the Fontana lodge parking lot. I kinda felt like a celebrity. The guys were all in great spirits as they had been riding and bonding all week.

Friday, John and Jerry joined me and Chris on a trip to Bryson city, from there we split up John and Jerry ran some errands, Chris and Got some gas and headed to Cherokee, 411, Little River Road, and lunch in Townsend. After some great Tennessee Barbecue. It was on a 180 degree hairpin turn on 411 that had a recommend speed of 20mph when I discovered that Dynamic riding mode has the ďleast amount of interventionĒ instead of the most, as the rear wheel locked up for a fraction of a second. It got my attention. On little river road I changed to ďRoadĒ mode on Gretchen, my 2016 R1200RT had Chris increase his interval, and did a couple of hard breaking maneuvers... the ABS I know and love was back. After Lunch, a jaunt over the foothills parkway, lots of motorcycle waves, then down the dragon back to the lodge... no waves on the dragon, concentrating on the turns. We were greeted by our paparazzi, 129photos and killboy.com. Itís fun to feel important, Iím sure their presence puts a lot of folks on that road and a lot of money in the pockets of the locals. It was great to see all those beautiful S1000RRís and their full leathered riders. Wish we could get more those riders in the MOA.

Saturday, was a whole new adventure with Brian and Brandelyne Lewis from North Carolina. Brian had created a .gpx file that we had emailed out to as many of our friends that were attending that might want to use it. The ďLost Sea AdventureĒ route he created turned out to be fantastic. Never under estimate the powerful resource that is your local charter club members. As Brian and I were mounting up, (itís a process, ATGATT and Sena coupling and all) my cabin neighbors in the room to the right stepped out at the same time I was getting the bike ready, I asked them where they were headed, they said, Cherohala Skyway and Tellico Plains, I said, ďWeíre going that way, would you like to join us?Ē To my surprise, they said, ďyes.Ē Our new riders in the group were MOA members from Washington DC, Phil and Karin Ager, Phil on a red K1600 and Karin on a blue F650. Our flight of four bikes and five riders, finally was formed ad hock, and down the hill we went, leaving Fontana for adventure with our new friends. We had never ridden together, and yet, as MOA members and BMW riders, a certain high standard of riding proficiency and discipline can be expected. The ride was very pleasant. As it was cool when we started I was able to try out my new warm and safe base layer on the skyway as the elevation creeped up over 4000í. We arrived in Tellico Plains for breakfast. This was our first time to talk as a group, in short order we quickly determined that we were all retired military officers: Karin Navy, Phil Air Force, Brian Air Force, and myself Army (they didnít hold that against me).

After breakfast we mounted up for the short jaunt over to the Lost sea, and underground adventure in the mountains of Tennessee, the second largest underground lake in the world. We saw stalactites, stalagmites, total darkness, Civil War graffiti, a great turquoise lake, 70 feet deep and stocked with killer rainbow trout. The top ground site was covered with dogwoods, pink and white, in spring bloom, along with azaleas, green grass and honey scented clover.

Back on the bikes, a quick top off at the gas station and we are headed to the dragon. The dragon was crowded as it was Saturday. A lot of riders donít like the crowds, but they donít bother me. Itís not often Iím surrounded by 1000ís of people that love riding as much as I do. (With the exception of the MOA National) I love to see the S1000RR riders in full leathers cornering with the greatest of skills, fellow RT riders, and the myriad of other bikes and riders of all types. All the riders on that trip were not only skilled but courteous. Any local drivers on the road, mostly older gentleman in pickups, would pull over when they could and let us by, and wave. In short order our magic carpet ride was coming to a close and the lodge loomed near.

About 5 miles from the lodge I finally shift up into fourth gear and... my shifter wonít work, itís sloppy, and I have a moment of panic. I work the shifter up and down using shift assist pro, the shifter moves and is sloppy but no gear change, pulling the clutch, I get a little bit better response, the shifter is still sloppy but I can get through the gears. I make it back to the hotel room at the lodge, get off, put the bike on the center stand, and get out of my skid gear.

Because I clean the bike often PMCSing the bike as I do (Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services... an Army acronym) I had discovered in the past the shifter linkage loose and needing tightening. This intel directed my troubleshooting to the shifter, I still had a 468 mile trip home to make tomorrow. Sure enough, the pin bolt was engaged to the gear shifter by only a few threads. No problem, Iíll just snug it up like I had in the past. I pull the 10mm wrench out from underneath my riderís seat, and what do you know, itís too small. A BMW Scooter rider parked to the left of my bike, and my neighbor to the right tells me his other bike is an RT and he has an RT kit bag underneath the seat of his scooter. (Ladies and Gentleman, try getting that lucky out there on your own away from fellow club members and friends. Itís moments like this when I absolutely love the MOA) Greg, I think his name was, if I got it right was the treasurer of he South. Carolina BMW MOA charter club. He had told me he talked to Ted Moyer about our many charter club initiatives in the works. We had a bit of a discussion about Club stuff while I wrenched on my bike with his 12 mm wrench. In short order the gear shifter was fixed thanks to Greg and the bike was set for tomorrow ride. (I re-torqued the shift lever when I got home and installed some blue permatex on the threads, hopefully that will put an end to my sloppy shifter problems.

We finished the evening with dinner, campfire símores, and lots of door prizes to be given away. I bought a couple of MOA hats from the gear store from Adam Stewart, and called it a night, I had a chest cold, and had to get up early in the morning for the long ride home.

If you havenít been to a getaway, a rally (national or local) get out there and do it, youíll be glad you did. Now, about that tornado weather I rode through to get home... Iíll save that for later, hope you enjoy the photos.

Reece
    SECMOA

93B6AEBC-1C6B-4C6F-889A-E8EF6157F0B4.jpg46BDB549-A873-43B8-830C-6EEAC358057A.jpg8C9A887A-EBE3-48F0-B0FD-383F05268E6F.jpg
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Always nice to hear the trip/event report

Thanks Reece.

Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Smile

[QUOTE=Omega Man;1127593]Always nice to hear the trip/event report

Agreed! And look'e at that last homefront arrival picture... no dust or bugs on the bike!

And his bike seat, it looks somewhat custom... or "smaller somehow". It's a Dynamic look though.

"travel'n" john

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post

Agreed! And look'e at that last homefront arrival picture... no dust or bugs on the bike!

And his bike seat, it looks somewhat custom... or "smaller somehow". It's a Dynamic look though.

"travel'n" john
    not sure of the aspect angel the wife took the picture as I rolled in the garage. I included it to show my wet rat status rolling in after riding through tornado warning rains. On the outside I was pretty wet, but it didnít get down to the skin much.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President