Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

Information about this event can be found at:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/event/fontana18
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Registration Is Open!

Registration is now open for all the 2018 MOA Getaways. First up will be Fontana (AKA Funtana) is first up on the list. Check out the details for all the great locations this year. https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/moagetaway18 and be sure to click the link below each picture for complete details on the event and how to register for your lodging. Register early as this one always sells out! See ya in the mountains!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

Booked and Ready

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Information about this event can be found at:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/event/fontana18
    Hi Folks... new-ish member here. This will be my first Getaway. I am travelling from Wilmington, NC headed out Thursday (for a little extra riding). I'm looking forward to meeting some folks and getting in some riding. I'm planning on staying in Little Switzerland, NC Thursday night. If anyone is interested in riding up with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by roy_reuter View Post
    Hi Folks... new-ish member here. This will be my first Getaway. I am travelling from Wilmington, NC headed out Thursday (for a little extra riding). I'm looking forward to meeting some folks and getting in some riding. I'm planning on staying in Little Switzerland, NC Thursday night. If anyone is interested in riding up with me, please let me know.
    Hello Roy, great to hear you will be at Fontana. This will be the fifth year for this one and it seems to get better every year. Ride safe and I look forward to seeing you there!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair

Roy, make sure you introduce yourself. I always look forward to meeting and talking to new members at their first Getaway. Your first beer is on me. Iíll be getting in Thursday night staying at the lodge. I look like this guy.

3D4F9874-4012-4AA1-9FFC-D74B4F80722E.jpg
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

I live in Windsor, Ontario. That is just south of( yes, south!) Detroit.
    I intend to be at the Fontana gateway. Is my first, will ride alone, as far I know
    nobody is willing to go that way just yet. Am not sure what these gateways are all about,
    I don't know what to be prepared for, and any help is much more than appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by temesvar View Post
    Am not sure what these gateways are all about,
    I don't know what to be prepared for, and any help is much more than appreciated!
    Hi temesvar - You are going to have a great time at the Fontana Getaway! Friendly people, great roads on which to ride, gorgeous scenery, and some mighty good food. Nothing not to like.

Considering possible routes, the logical and probably fastest way to Fontana Village will bring you from Windsor down to Knoxville, TN on major routes, and then the last few miles will be the most interesting. US129 includes the "Tail of the Dragon." You'll probably be there on a weekday which will make the transit of those 11 miles more benign. Nonetheless, it'll be fun.

Again, you'll have a great time!

JG
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Roy, make sure you introduce yourself. I always look forward to meeting and talking to new members at their first Getaway. Your first beer is on me. Iíll be getting in Thursday night staying at the lodge. I look like this guy.
    Thanks Reece I will definitely be on the lookout for you and that beer. I appreciate the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by roy_reuter View Post
    I'm planning on staying in Little Switzerland, NC Thursday night. If anyone is interested in riding up with me, please let me know.
    Hi Roy - I'm coming down from Massachusetts through Hendersonville, NC. I expect to be at Fontana a bit earlier than you. If you're planning to come down the BRP from Little Switzerland you should know that the Linn Cove Viaduct is going to be closed for a couple of months. Also, there may be other closures in the mid-April time period too. You can always check at this URL: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Once in Fontana, you'll have a fine time riding the roads and also with the BMW MOA Crew. You've heard from "Mr. Party!" Reece Mullins. Our pal Chris Wilhelm will be coming down from Michigan. Look for me in this disguise and I'll buy your second beer:

JB motorcycle getup.jpg
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Hi Roy - I'm coming down from Massachusetts through Hendersonville, NC. I expect to be at Fontana a bit earlier than you. If you're planning to come down the BRP from Little Switzerland you should know that the Linn Cove Viaduct is going to be closed for a couple of months. Also, there may be other closures in the mid-April time period too. You can always check at this URL: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Once in Fontana, you'll have a fine time riding the roads and also with the BMW MOA Crew. You've heard from "Mr. Party!" Reece Mullins. Our pal Chris Wilhelm will be coming down from Michigan. Look for me in this disguise and I'll buy your second beer:
    Thanks for the heads up. I will look for the closings and adjust around them. I look forward to catching up and having that second beer. Just starting to wonder if this is the beginning of a haze the new guy tradition? Iím looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hey evverbuddy,
    I'm pleased to report that I'll be there too!

Been meaning to make it to this Getaway for ages but y'know...life & all that.

I've really been kind of out of the loop with MOA-life lately so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing everybody and the usual stuff about old and new friends.

Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA; I hope she likes it enough to talk her into going to Des Moines! She's interested so far, so you reprobates please be on your best behaviour!

As of 30 minutes before this post I was able to get a room; no idea how many are left so call now if you haven't yet.

See you at Fontana!
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Hey evverbuddy,
    I'm pleased to report that I'll be there too!

Been meaning to make it to this Getaway for ages but y'know...life & all that.

I've really been kind of out of the loop with MOA-life lately so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing everybody and the usual stuff about old and new friends.

Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA; I hope she likes it enough to talk her into going to Des Moines! She's interested so far, so you reprobates please be on your best behaviour!

As of 30 minutes before this post I was able to get a room; no idea how many are left so call now if you haven't yet.

See you at Fontana!
    Good news Veg, I look forward to seeing you...and I will be on my best behavior...now the other "reprobates"...I make no promises!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA.....
    Mrs. Veg?

Buddy, we don't talk enough!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I won't make it this year, but am seriously thinking of starting my 2019 riding season there, then continuing across the southern states to Arizona and Utah before the heat builds, up the Pacific Coast to the Olympic Peninsula, across the North Cascades and then who knows where! I'll be retired, so it'll be just me and Glenlivet (the dog, not the Scotch) checking out the country in our sidecar rig and meeting new friends.

2.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Pete you would love it. My first year there, I was at the base of the tail of the dragon, coming from the lodge (this would be my first venture on the dragon ever) and we had to stop to let a black bear cub cross the road, the first time I had ever seen a bear in the wild. It was as close to heaven as I think Iíve ever come on this earth. I get to experience spring twice March in the Deep South and April in Fontana. All the dogwoods, redbuds, azaleas, and wild flowers are all in bloom at the same time. Truly, a great event in the getaway series.
    Me on the dragon shortly after bear cub spotting.
    57A20F62-E262-47A0-AB14-D54E29053EE7.jpg
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President