• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

A rather brisk ride has been... or will be had! I just had a look see at the current conditions and forecast for Saturday and Sunday.
A fabulous indoor oriented gathering is in order at this weekend's leafless mountain Get.a.room away... with heating.
Good riding though tomorrow a few minutes either side of 3pm!
Yet with the fireplace, friends, good restaurant and bar.... we all wish we could be there with you's guy's!
May a safe and big time (with sunshine at least) be had by all of you.

"travel'n" john
...advised by wise riders north, to remain in Florida till May sometime.

Early in the year had high hopes to attend the Fontana gateway.
Called with intention to make reservation, but had no luck.
Even had in mind going anyways, sure would find a spot to
open up the tent. As weather here was miserable, i gave up.
Am just wondering what have i missed? I didn't notice
any comments about the event...

Fontana Getaway review

This was my first MOA Getaway. Prior to this the only other MOA event I attended was the Rally in Hamburg. From my perspective the events are completely different. While I enjoyed the vendor hall and tech sessions at the Rally I did not really make any new friends. At this weekends Getaway it was more about riding and the smaller group made it easier to meet new people. Several folks approached me directly just to chat and get to know me. I really enjoyed this aspect because I made some great new friends. I kept hearing how I was one of the "younger guys" (I am 45) but that was OK. I really wanted to hear some good stories and learn from people who have done more than I have. Meeting Murielle was a highlight for me. I am planning a solo cross country trip and as a fellow solo traveller she had lots of good advice for me. Many other I spoke to also had good advice for what to do and not do for my trip. All in all it was a great weekend for me. The weather was nice and warm and great for riding on Saturday. The incoming rain forced me to depart earlier than I wanted to on Sunday, but I was content with the riding I had done. I am not sure how all the other Getaways are run, but if they are anything like Fontana then I am definitely going to hit a few more this year. Sorry I don't have any pics to share.

A BIG Thank You!

That big thank you goes to all who attended the "Funtana" event this year. I believe the event went very well and all had a great time. The weather was spectacular on Friday and Saturday and allowed almost everyone to get in a full day of riding the area. Once again the staff at the resort did a fantastic job for us and we were pleased to see once again that almost half of those in attendance were participating in their very first MOA event! Mari and I enjoyed working with a great team of volunteers and co hosts that together pulled off another great event!

The even better news is that the Fontana event kicks off the 2018 MOA Getaway season. There are more events than ever this year with 11 total and located around the country in superb riding locations, so make your plans now to attend all that you can. Register early as these events will sell out quickly!

Well another FUN Fontana Getaway is in the books. This year’s getaway, for me, hit all the buttons. It started with my 468 mile trip from lower Alabama, through beautiful Georgia Pecan orchards, over Eufaula lake, where I was blessed with the an up close and personal view of a bald eagle fishing and a pair of ospreys nesting. As I was tracked on the “find a friend” app by my wife Rhonda, and my riding buddies that had the good sense to (and free time) to arrive early and get in the quality riding before the crowds arrived, I was greeted by cheers, hugs, and a parking spot as I pulled into the Fontana lodge parking lot. I kinda felt like a celebrity. The guys were all in great spirits as they had been riding and bonding all week.

Friday, John and Jerry joined me and Chris on a trip to Bryson city, from there we split up John and Jerry ran some errands, Chris and Got some gas and headed to Cherokee, 411, Little River Road, and lunch in Townsend. After some great Tennessee Barbecue. It was on a 180 degree hairpin turn on 411 that had a recommend speed of 20mph when I discovered that Dynamic riding mode has the “least amount of intervention” instead of the most, as the rear wheel locked up for a fraction of a second. It got my attention. On little river road I changed to “Road” mode on Gretchen, my 2016 R1200RT had Chris increase his interval, and did a couple of hard breaking maneuvers... the ABS I know and love was back. After Lunch, a jaunt over the foothills parkway, lots of motorcycle waves, then down the dragon back to the lodge... no waves on the dragon, concentrating on the turns. We were greeted by our paparazzi, 129photos and killboy.com. It’s fun to feel important, I’m sure their presence puts a lot of folks on that road and a lot of money in the pockets of the locals. It was great to see all those beautiful S1000RR’s and their full leathered riders. Wish we could get more those riders in the MOA.

Saturday, was a whole new adventure with Brian and Brandelyne Lewis from North Carolina. Brian had created a .gpx file that we had emailed out to as many of our friends that were attending that might want to use it. The “Lost Sea Adventure” route he created turned out to be fantastic. Never under estimate the powerful resource that is your local charter club members. As Brian and I were mounting up, (it’s a process, ATGATT and Sena coupling and all) my cabin neighbors in the room to the right stepped out at the same time I was getting the bike ready, I asked them where they were headed, they said, Cherohala Skyway and Tellico Plains, I said, “We’re going that way, would you like to join us?” To my surprise, they said, “yes.” Our new riders in the group were MOA members from Washington DC, Phil and Karin Ager, Phil on a red K1600 and Karin on a blue F650. Our flight of four bikes and five riders, finally was formed ad hock, and down the hill we went, leaving Fontana for adventure with our new friends. We had never ridden together, and yet, as MOA members and BMW riders, a certain high standard of riding proficiency and discipline can be expected. The ride was very pleasant. As it was cool when we started I was able to try out my new warm and safe base layer on the skyway as the elevation creeped up over 4000’. We arrived in Tellico Plains for breakfast. This was our first time to talk as a group, in short order we quickly determined that we were all retired military officers: Karin Navy, Phil Air Force, Brian Air Force, and myself Army (they didn’t hold that against me).

After breakfast we mounted up for the short jaunt over to the Lost sea, and underground adventure in the mountains of Tennessee, the second largest underground lake in the world. We saw stalactites, stalagmites, total darkness, Civil War graffiti, a great turquoise lake, 70 feet deep and stocked with killer rainbow trout. The top ground site was covered with dogwoods, pink and white, in spring bloom, along with azaleas, green grass and honey scented clover.

Back on the bikes, a quick top off at the gas station and we are headed to the dragon. The dragon was crowded as it was Saturday. A lot of riders don’t like the crowds, but they don’t bother me. It’s not often I’m surrounded by 1000’s of people that love riding as much as I do. (With the exception of the MOA National) I love to see the S1000RR riders in full leathers cornering with the greatest of skills, fellow RT riders, and the myriad of other bikes and riders of all types. All the riders on that trip were not only skilled but courteous. Any local drivers on the road, mostly older gentleman in pickups, would pull over when they could and let us by, and wave. In short order our magic carpet ride was coming to a close and the lodge loomed near.

About 5 miles from the lodge I finally shift up into fourth gear and... my shifter won’t work, it’s sloppy, and I have a moment of panic. I work the shifter up and down using shift assist pro, the shifter moves and is sloppy but no gear change, pulling the clutch, I get a little bit better response, the shifter is still sloppy but I can get through the gears. I make it back to the hotel room at the lodge, get off, put the bike on the center stand, and get out of my skid gear.

Because I clean the bike often PMCSing the bike as I do (Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services... an Army acronym) I had discovered in the past the shifter linkage loose and needing tightening. This intel directed my troubleshooting to the shifter, I still had a 468 mile trip home to make tomorrow. Sure enough, the pin bolt was engaged to the gear shifter by only a few threads. No problem, I’ll just snug it up like I had in the past. I pull the 10mm wrench out from underneath my rider’s seat, and what do you know, it’s too small. A BMW Scooter rider parked to the left of my bike, and my neighbor to the right tells me his other bike is an RT and he has an RT kit bag underneath the seat of his scooter. (Ladies and Gentleman, try getting that lucky out there on your own away from fellow club members and friends. It’s moments like this when I absolutely love the MOA) Greg, I think his name was, if I got it right was the treasurer of he South. Carolina BMW MOA charter club. He had told me he talked to Ted Moyer about our many charter club initiatives in the works. We had a bit of a discussion about Club stuff while I wrenched on my bike with his 12 mm wrench. In short order the gear shifter was fixed thanks to Greg and the bike was set for tomorrow ride. (I re-torqued the shift lever when I got home and installed some blue permatex on the threads, hopefully that will put an end to my sloppy shifter problems.

We finished the evening with dinner, campfire s’mores, and lots of door prizes to be given away. I bought a couple of MOA hats from the gear store from Adam Stewart, and called it a night, I had a chest cold, and had to get up early in the morning for the long ride home.

If you haven’t been to a getaway, a rally (national or local) get out there and do it, you’ll be glad you did. Now, about that tornado weather I rode through to get home... I’ll save that for later, hope you enjoy the photos.

Reece
SECMOA

93B6AEBC-1C6B-4C6F-889A-E8EF6157F0B4.jpg46BDB549-A873-43B8-830C-6EEAC358057A.jpg8C9A887A-EBE3-48F0-B0FD-383F05268E6F.jpg

Always nice to hear the trip/event report :thumb

Agreed! And look'e at that last homefront arrival picture... no dust or bugs on the bike!

And his bike seat, it looks somewhat custom... or "smaller somehow". It's a Dynamic look though.

"travel'n" john

Agreed! And look'e at that last homefront arrival picture... no dust or bugs on the bike!

And his bike seat, it looks somewhat custom... or "smaller somehow". It's a Dynamic look though.

"travel'n" john

not sure of the aspect angel the wife took the picture as I rolled in the garage. I included it to show my wet rat status rolling in after riding through tornado warning rains. On the outside I was pretty wet, but it didn’t get down to the skin much.

YES... Speed x "aspect angle" + Braking Force = Dynamic Pucker Factor

End result: Custom Fitted Seat

... Don't assk me how I know.
"travel'n" john

Some folks might not be aware, but if you rode on the "Dragon" route near Deals Gap or the nearby road that was the back way to the Fontana Resort, you likely got your photo taken by Killboy. He has a commercial website and posts small images of bikes on these routes; they are organized by date, time and type of bike (e.g., sport bike, dresser, sport tourer, etc.) He will sell you larger images for a small fee (around $6). See link below -

http://www.killboy.com/

Following is a small, edited image from this website of a smart looking 2018 RT with a feller and his missus headed for some Friday evening BBQ at the Fontana Resort.

rt180420-1.JPG

Some folks might not be aware, but if you rode on the "Dragon" route near Deals Gap or the nearby road that was the back way to the Fontana Resort, you likely got your photo taken by Killboy. He has a commercial website and posts small images of bikes on these routes; they are organized by date, time and type of bike (e.g., sport bike, dresser, sport tourer, etc.) He will sell you larger images for a small fee (around $6). See link below -

http://www.killboy.com/

That is nice of you to share. Am sure many didn't know about it and it helps if you ride alone!

Thanks, Reece, for the lengthy report and pictures.
As the days past, was wondering why no one has
posted pictures about the trip. Am glad all went well
and mother weather was in a better mood!

Back