• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

Registration Is Open!

Registration is now open for all the 2018 MOA Getaways. First up will be Fontana (AKA Funtana) is first up on the list. Check out the details for all the great locations this year. https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/moagetaway18 and be sure to click the link below each picture for complete details on the event and how to register for your lodging. Register early as this one always sells out! See ya in the mountains!

Booked and Ready

Information about this event can be found at:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/event/fontana18

Hi Folks... new-ish member here. This will be my first Getaway. I am travelling from Wilmington, NC headed out Thursday (for a little extra riding). I'm looking forward to meeting some folks and getting in some riding. I'm planning on staying in Little Switzerland, NC Thursday night. If anyone is interested in riding up with me, please let me know.

Hi Folks... new-ish member here. This will be my first Getaway. I am travelling from Wilmington, NC headed out Thursday (for a little extra riding). I'm looking forward to meeting some folks and getting in some riding. I'm planning on staying in Little Switzerland, NC Thursday night. If anyone is interested in riding up with me, please let me know.

Hello Roy, great to hear you will be at Fontana. This will be the fifth year for this one and it seems to get better every year. Ride safe and I look forward to seeing you there!

Roy, make sure you introduce yourself. I always look forward to meeting and talking to new members at their first Getaway. Your first beer is on me. I’ll be getting in Thursday night staying at the lodge. I look like this guy.

3D4F9874-4012-4AA1-9FFC-D74B4F80722E.jpg

I live in Windsor, Ontario. That is just south of( yes, south!) Detroit.
I intend to be at the Fontana gateway. Is my first, will ride alone, as far I know
nobody is willing to go that way just yet. Am not sure what these gateways are all about,
I don't know what to be prepared for, and any help is much more than appreciated!

I'm planning on staying in Little Switzerland, NC Thursday night. If anyone is interested in riding up with me, please let me know.

Hi Roy - I'm coming down from Massachusetts through Hendersonville, NC. I expect to be at Fontana a bit earlier than you. If you're planning to come down the BRP from Little Switzerland you should know that the Linn Cove Viaduct is going to be closed for a couple of months. Also, there may be other closures in the mid-April time period too. You can always check at this URL: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Once in Fontana, you'll have a fine time riding the roads and also with the BMW MOA Crew. You've heard from "Mr. Party!" Reece Mullins. Our pal Chris Wilhelm will be coming down from Michigan. Look for me in this disguise and I'll buy your second beer:

JB motorcycle getup.jpg

Am not sure what these gateways are all about,
I don't know what to be prepared for, and any help is much more than appreciated!

Hi temesvar - You are going to have a great time at the Fontana Getaway! Friendly people, great roads on which to ride, gorgeous scenery, and some mighty good food. Nothing not to like.

Considering possible routes, the logical and probably fastest way to Fontana Village will bring you from Windsor down to Knoxville, TN on major routes, and then the last few miles will be the most interesting. US129 includes the "Tail of the Dragon." You'll probably be there on a weekday which will make the transit of those 11 miles more benign. Nonetheless, it'll be fun.

Again, you'll have a great time!

JG

John Gamel

Ever the consummate Ambassador of good will, is our kind and humble John Gamel. I’m looking forward to seeing my old friends again, and making some new ones. Please ride safe everyone coming to the getaway. We are going to have some fun.

Hello temesvar: I live just south of Lansing Michigan (north west of Detroit and Windsor) and will also be traveling to the Fontana Getaway. It will be my first one. I bought my 2017 RT at the end of August last year and was not able to get much other than a ride to the UP on it before winter came. You can PM me with your plans for the trip, we may be able to connect up somewhere along the way.

Hi temesvar - You are going to have a great time at the Fontana Getaway! Friendly people, great roads on which to ride, gorgeous scenery, and some mighty good food. Nothing not to like.

Considering possible routes, the logical and probably fastest way to Fontana Village will bring you from Windsor down to Knoxville, TN on major routes, and then the last few miles will be the most interesting. US129 includes the "Tail of the Dragon." You'll probably be there on a weekday which will make the transit of those 11 miles more benign. Nonetheless, it'll be fun.

Again, you'll have a great time!

JG

Thanks for the reply, John.
Bringing together people with the same passion, riding, is already a great event. Now riding the same kind of a bike, makes it even better!
And mighty good food, you said? Am a proof that am all for it! My question is: do I bring a tent, do I book a motel, will I find one, if I don't?
Late April I have seen snow! Getting there I was going to take the Appalachians, and the "Tail" would be included. Any advise is welcome!

Bringing together people with the same passion, riding, is already a great event. Now riding the same kind of a bike, makes it even better!
And mighty good food, you said? Am a proof that am all for it! My question is: do I bring a tent, do I book a motel, will I find one, if I don't?
Late April I have seen snow! Getting there I was going to take the Appalachians, and the "Tail" would be included. Any advise is welcome!

The lodge that is our host venue has rooms, cabins, and tent sites. I’ve stayed at the camping site for about $10 a night, the rooms are $90 per night, ($70 for non weekends) if you call make sure you inform registration you are with the BMW MOA group.

There are other places to stay in nearby towns, but as this is my third time attending, I recommend the lodge properties... getting away from the venue site becomes somewhat challenging as the site is remote, and it’s a twisty, curvy, hike to get to anywhere. Deals gap motor lodge may be available or the iron horse lodge for rooms, but book early they, fill up fast during riding season.

As Reece points out the tent sites are a couple miles away from the resort itself at the base of the dam so if you want to camp that is available. Again as Reece did I recommend the lodge property too as that allows you to have great accommodations and stay close to the group and the fellowship. Riding out of there after dark....it's dark...and twisty. Give them a call at the lodge as they have rooms and cabins available...but don't wait too long, this event sells out the property! Glad you are planning to make it...ride safe and we'll see you there!

Thanks you all, Reece, Vance H, and John Gamel. I see am to late to book a room at Fontana Village.
This is a gamble for me, as late April we can still have bad weather or even snow here. Only room left is $160/night
Way to much for me to book for a three nights stand! Would have loved to attend, but it all seams like a cash grab for the locals,
Is that what this is all about?

Hopefully the rockslide on HWY 28 nearby will be cleared by then they are working up to 24 hours a day on it.

Thanks you all, Reece, Vance H, and John Gamel. I see am to late to book a room at Fontana Village.
This is a gamble for me, as late April we can still have bad weather or even snow here. Only room left is $160/night
Way to much for me to book for a three nights stand! Would have loved to attend, but it all seams like a cash grab for the locals,
Is that what this is all about?

Make sure you call them. The website only has the high priced rooms indicated because the MOA has blocked off rooms for the event; the reservation page does not reflect that. A lot of the rooms are two queen size beds you may be able to share a room with someone. I would throw out my room for sharing but I’m holding it for the National rally chair if he can get away and come.

Make sure you call them. The website only has the high priced rooms indicated because the MOA has blocked off rooms for the event; the reservation page does not reflect that. A lot of the rooms are two queen size beds you may be able to share a room with someone. I would throw out my room for sharing but I’m holding it for the National rally chair if he can get away and come.

Thanks again, Reece! Been calling them for 6 hours, and is busy! 828 498 2211 or 800 849 2258

Hopefully the rockslide on HWY 28 nearby will be cleared by then they are working up to 24 hours a day on it.

It probably will, but just in case... there is a really nice (and paved) back way in and out of the Fontana Lodge. News articles about the slide take you on this huge detour that isn't necessary.

The route below is one that I created for the first couple events... and while it features a lot of dirt road riding, it also shows this way in.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2180268

(what happened to the embed function here?)

Screen%20Shot%202018-02-19%20at%207.52.22%20AM-X3.png

Back