Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

Hopefully the rockslide on HWY 28 nearby will be cleared by then they are working up to 24 hours a day on it.
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Quote Originally Posted by temesvar View Post
    Thanks you all, Reece, Vance H, and John Gamel. I see am to late to book a room at Fontana Village.
    This is a gamble for me, as late April we can still have bad weather or even snow here. Only room left is $160/night
    Way to much for me to book for a three nights stand! Would have loved to attend, but it all seams like a cash grab for the locals,
    Is that what this is all about?
    Make sure you call them. The website only has the high priced rooms indicated because the MOA has blocked off rooms for the event; the reservation page does not reflect that. A lot of the rooms are two queen size beds you may be able to share a room with someone. I would throw out my room for sharing but Iím holding it for the National rally chair if he can get away and come.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Make sure you call them. The website only has the high priced rooms indicated because the MOA has blocked off rooms for the event; the reservation page does not reflect that. A lot of the rooms are two queen size beds you may be able to share a room with someone. I would throw out my room for sharing but Iím holding it for the National rally chair if he can get away and come.
    Thanks again, Reece! Been calling them for 6 hours, and is busy! 828 498 2211 or 800 849 2258

Quote Originally Posted by temesvar View Post
    Thanks again, Reece! Been calling them for 6 hours, and is busy! 828 498 2211 or 800 849 2258
    Those are the right numbers, be persistent...
    MOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Hopefully the rockslide on HWY 28 nearby will be cleared by then they are working up to 24 hours a day on it.
    It probably will, but just in case... there is a really nice (and paved) back way in and out of the Fontana Lodge. News articles about the slide take you on this huge detour that isn't necessary.

The route below is one that I created for the first couple events... and while it features a lot of dirt road riding, it also shows this way in.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2180268

(what happened to the embed function here?)

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    It probably will, but just in case... there is a really nice (and paved) back way in and out of the Fontana Lodge. News articles about the slide take you on this huge detour that isn't necessary.

The route below is one that I created for the first couple events... and while it features a lot of dirt road riding, it also shows this way in.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2180268

(what happened to the embed function here?)

Ian,
    It looks like it doesn't like the transition through your Smuggy. Try a direct screen-shot. OR- it just needed a
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks Ian, yes that is another way in there but be advised that road is tight and narrow with lots of houses with blind driveways. Again it is a nice ride but a necessarily slow one. I know they are working hard to clear 28 and really hopeful that will be all cleared by the time we get there!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / Yamaha WR250R "Slim"

Killboy.com has posted some video and photos. Everyone quoted is speaking optimistically about how quickly the work can be done. See: http://www.killboy.com/moonshiner-28...ean-up-week-1/
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Thanks John... Iím going to have to actually do some route planning to get there this time.
    MOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Killboy.com has posted some video and photos. Everyone quoted is speaking optimistically about how quickly the work can be done. See: http://www.killboy.com/moonshiner-28...ean-up-week-1/
    Thanks for that link John. Puts perspective on what I had read/heard.Have enjoyed that run several times thru the years and would not like to round a corner and come up on that when it happened.

Three thousand truckloads cannot do nice things to existing road surface!

Reese...adjust the flight plans friend
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Thanks for that link John. Puts perspective on what I had read/heard.Have enjoyed that run several times thru the years and would not like to round a corner and come up on that when it happened.

Three thousand truckloads cannot do nice things to existing road surface!

Reese...adjust the flight plans friend
    FWIW the contractor appears to be a huge operation and perhaps is pleased to do this to support the local economy and make costs, anyway. I'm looking forward to zipping along some very nice pavement in April to get to Fontana Village. With Killboy.com taking an interest, there should be lots of visibility and news updates about progress. Really, after all, it's a little under two months until the MOA Getaway, and the weather gets warmer every day...
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Ian,
    It looks like it doesn't like the transition through your Smuggy. Try a direct screen-shot. OR- it just needed a
    Gary
    No, I was trying to embed a screen from RideWithGPS.com - I used to be able to do this with the embed code from that site.

Now I get:

<iframe src='https://rwgps-embeds.com/embeds?type=route&id=2180268&sampleGraph=true' style='width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 700px; border: none;' scrolling='no'></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    Thanks Ian, yes that is another way in there but be advised that road is tight and narrow with lots of houses with blind driveways. Again it is a nice ride but a necessarily slow one. I know they are working hard to clear 28 and really hopeful that will be all cleared by the time we get there!
    There are houses for the first mile as you exit out of Fontana village... then very few. It's almost all woods.

And... what could possibly be wrong with "tight and narrow" ???