Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 20-22, 2018

Hey evverbuddy,
    I'm pleased to report that I'll be there too!

Been meaning to make it to this Getaway for ages but y'know...life & all that.

I've really been kind of out of the loop with MOA-life lately so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing everybody and the usual stuff about old and new friends.

Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA; I hope she likes it enough to talk her into going to Des Moines! She's interested so far, so you reprobates please be on your best behaviour!

As of 30 minutes before this post I was able to get a room; no idea how many are left so call now if you haven't yet.

See you at Fontana!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Hey evverbuddy,
    I'm pleased to report that I'll be there too!

Been meaning to make it to this Getaway for ages but y'know...life & all that.

I've really been kind of out of the loop with MOA-life lately so I'm greatly looking forward to seeing everybody and the usual stuff about old and new friends.

Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA; I hope she likes it enough to talk her into going to Des Moines! She's interested so far, so you reprobates please be on your best behaviour!

As of 30 minutes before this post I was able to get a room; no idea how many are left so call now if you haven't yet.

See you at Fontana!
    Good news Veg, I look forward to seeing you...and I will be on my best behavior...now the other "reprobates"...I make no promises!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / Yamaha WR250R "Slim"

Quote Originally Posted by alabeemer View Post
    Good news Veg, I look forward to seeing you...and I will be on my best behavior...now the other "reprobates"...I make no promises!
    Heís lying. Heís a reprobate on probation, sentenced by a probate judge. If Vance and Mari are there all bets are off.
    Getting excited!
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I won't make it this year, but am seriously thinking of starting my 2019 riding season there, then continuing across the southern states to Arizona and Utah before the heat builds, up the Pacific Coast to the Olympic Peninsula, across the North Cascades and then who knows where! I'll be retired, so it'll be just me and Glenlivet (the dog, not the Scotch) checking out the country in our sidecar rig and meeting new friends.

2.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA and '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Pete you would love it. My first year there, I was at the base of the tail of the dragon, coming from the lodge (this would be my first venture on the dragon ever) and we had to stop to let a black bear cub cross the road, the first time I had ever seen a bear in the wild. It was as close to heaven as I think Iíve ever come on this earth. I get to experience spring twice March in the Deep South and April in Fontana. All the dogwoods, redbuds, azaleas, and wild flowers are all in bloom at the same time. Truly, a great event in the getaway series.
    Me on the dragon shortly after bear cub spotting.
    57A20F62-E262-47A0-AB14-D54E29053EE7.jpg
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    My first year there, I was at the base of the tail of the dragon, coming from the lodge (this would be my first venture on the dragon ever) and we had to stop to let a black bear cub cross the road, the first time I had ever seen a bear in the wild.
    Funny, not to drift the thread too much, but my one and only wild bear sighting was also on the bike, but on the way to Hamburg, on a Sunday morning, and the adult bear was perched high on a rock overlooking the PA Turnpike on the outskirts of Wilkes Barre. The bear looked very lazy; must've been fantasising about catching a car (or bike). That trip had several other really cool wildlife sightings, but that's a story for another time...maybe over some drinks at Fontana!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Also this will be Mrs. Veg's first taste of the MOA.....
    Mrs. Veg?

Buddy, we don't talk enough!

A beautiful area, with wonderful roads to experience. After the MOA weekend, if you've got a bit of extra time and enjoy overland travel to interesting and exotic locations, consider coming to the Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting in Virginia just a few days later. From Thursday (April 26) through Sunday (April 29), we'll gather at Appomattox, Virginia to see presentations about trips all over the U.S. and the world. Check out the details at: www.horizonsunlimited.com/virginia and maybe we'll see you there!

Steve Anderson
    Locust Grove, Virginia
    MOA #39248
    Organizer, Horizons Unlimited Virginia

RoomShare?

I've put it late, as I'd planned on the Motorcycles of Charlotte event, but there's no lodging there. If someone is going and might be interested in sharing a room, I don't swear or snore...too much. Hopefully the messaging system on the forum works.
    --Don
    '12 R1200GS Rallye
    '11 F800R

It's Not too Late...But Almost!

The event is basically sold out at this point. However there are a couple of king bed lodge rooms and a few cabins left available as of this morning. Be sure to check with the resort and book your reservations (be sure to mention the BMW MOA). Once that is done register for the event through the MOA website! See you there!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / Yamaha WR250R "Slim"

Do ya get a big steak like it shows on the back of the brochure?

A little help

My first event, got my room booked and paid. Just went to register and its sold out.....Will a phone call Monday morning to MOA help any?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
    My first event, got my room booked and paid. Just went to register and its sold out.....Will a phone call Monday morning to MOA help any?

Thanks
    Yes, please call the office. Iím not sure to what degree you can be accommodated, (swag bag tee shirt and food orders may have had a suspense date for contract) but do not be deterred, call the office they will do what they can to help you.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Yes, please call the office. Iím not sure to what degree you can be accommodated, (swag bag tee shirt and food orders may have had a suspense date for contract) but do not be deterred, call the office they will do what they can to help you.
    Thanks, I will call first thing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
    Thanks, I will call first thing tomorrow.
    Call me and let me know how it goes for you. Myself and Wes will be at Fontana, I look forward to meeting ya.
    Reece Mullins
    334-470-7770
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President