• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear guard Bars

Hi all , my first post. I have a 2012 RT and was thinking about some rear bars, bike came w what I think is a Touratech engine guard, The wunderlich bars look stronger but look like they would interfere w passengers legs, Ilium are lower but don't seem as sturdy , Any input especially from a passenger point of view . Thanks

I'm there right now!

Pebble Slip in Nov 2017.
I'm exactly where you are now Kurt.
Probably going with an eBay selection after this mishap!
T 1 .jpgT 2.jpgt 3 c bars 12 rt.JPG
Not too concerned about leg room for a passenger because I seldom have, but, mine has Ilium pass floor boards and lower feature.
Will be watching this thread for the next month!
Stay Tuned....
Jim

passenger and rear bars on my 2011RT

Hi all , my first post. I have a 2012 RT and was thinking about some rear bars, bike came w what I think is a Touratech engine guard, The wunderlich bars look stronger but look like they would interfere w passengers legs, Ilium are lower but don't seem as sturdy , Any input especially from a passenger point of view . Thanks

My wife says she doesn't know the W. bars are on the bike when she is riding. She is 5'5". I was worried about that too, but is not a problem..

Thanks, yes I saw the previous thread, I know I'm getting some, my main question is , if the Wunderlich bars interfere w passenger comfort / leg room. They are a little more expensive, but have one more attachment point, look a little stronger, and seems like could be more useful for lifting onto center stand and as a tie down point for extra gear. Thanks everyone for the help in making this decision.

Last edited:
Wow jsoque I looked up the bars you were talking about on E-Bay the bars from GZYF and HEED look just like the Wonderlich bars but a half the price, but beside the fact that they are Chinese knock off's there is also mention of customs and shipping fees not included in price , but tempting nonetheless. But my main question is does anyone have input on passenger comfort w the Wonderlich style bars. Reading all the reviews on the Wonderlich site I think there are two stating that they took the bars off because of passenger leg interference , but also 2 that stated there was no such interference. So that is what I would like to find out, from this forum, it may be one of those items that the community will just be split on. As it stands now I have the one positive response from dpmonk. Thanks ! I guess while asking has anyone bought the GZYF or HEED bars from China ?

about those W. bars

I did not think about this, but Wife is also riding on a Sargent seat. It may be just a little higher and wider than the stock seat. Don't know if that would make a difference. Incidentally, she says the Sargent seat is very comfortable too.

Wow jsoque I looked up the bars you were talking about on E-Bay the bars from GZYF and HEED look just like the Wonderlich bars but a half the price, but beside the fact that they are Chinese knock off's there is also mention of customs and shipping fees not included in price , but tempting nonetheless. But my main question is does anyone have input on passenger comfort w the Wonderlich style bars. Reading all the reviews on the Wonderlich site I think there are two stating that they took the bars off because of passenger leg interference , but also 2 that stated there was no such interference. So that is what I would like to find out, from this forum, it may be one of those items that the community will just be split on. As it stands now I have the one positive response from dpmonk. Thanks ! I guess while asking has anyone bought the GZYF or HEED bars from China ?

It really depends on the passenger. Short/ short legged and the bars will rub the back of their legs and bouncing over bumps and what not. Taller / longer legged won’t have much issue.

GZYF bars

I recently purchased a set of the GZYF bars. Very pleased with them. Good quality, fit, good packaging and fast shipping. I had them within a week of purchasing from China!

These might be worth looking at: https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=1401
N236LGDisplay3web.jpg

I just recently became aware of this company, but I think these are the only "low" pannier guards available for the hex/camhead bikes. I'd ruled out the higher Wunderlich/Heed designs because they would definitely interfere with my wife's short legs.

any installation issues?

I recently purchased a set of the GZYF bars. Very pleased with them. Good quality, fit, good packaging and fast shipping. I had them within a week of purchasing from China!

Haleyes,

Would you be able to attach some pics of your protection bars? I'm interesting in ordering a pair, but I'd like to see them on the bike.

Was installation very easy? Did it require much disassembly?

Please feel free to PM me if that's easier.

Daryl

Hey guys has anyone had any issues with t rex racing? their crash bars looked to be just the ticket for my RT and my vertically challenged spouse so I ordered a set. they were delivered in about a week. so far, so good. when I un-packed them I noticed that only one side had the metal slider bar attached to it. So I installed them anyway. I have emailed t rex and got no reply. I have tried to call them and the voice mail box is full. Don't know what to do from this point. This is why I am old fashioned and leery of buying stuff on the internet !!

rear guard

does anyone know if you can put t-rex luggage guards on a 2011 rt with oilium passenger floor boards

Back