• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thanks Tuk

TravellingTartar

Dear fellow MOA riders. This spring I'll be riding my GS up to Tuktoyaktuk on the new portion of the Dempster Highway. In collaboration with the Tuktoyaktuk Office of Economic Development, I've come up with a campaign to help raise funds for them. I invite you to check out the details at http://gofundme.com/thankstuk. I hope that you can support it or help spread the word. We all want to go up there, they want us there, but we have to help them to face the likely hordes of new visitors. Thanks Tuk for having us and thanks to all of you for your potential support. Cemil (Jim) Alyanak - #37395

Made it to Tuk sticker - 480.png

I've been to Inuvik. I'd love to go.

View attachment 66102

BTW, HF from Tuk? E-M-E?

EME would be fun indeed. Hadn't thought of it. I'll think about it. Definitely HF though, likely on 20M, maybe 40M. I doubt anything above that will be open but I can always dream. Hey, as far as going up with me, I think a few people might join up with me in Dawson City around third week of May and then, weather permitting, head up slowly and wait it out right by the Ferry and then dart up to be among the first to make it up!!

... I think a few people might join up with me in Dawson City around third week of May and then, weather permitting, head up slowly and wait it out right by the Ferry and then dart up to be among the first to make it up!!

Now that has the making of either an adventure or a disaster. But then, sometimes an adventure is just a disaster fondly remembered.

Thank You

First fundraising weekend done. $700 raised, a long ways to go. Thank you to the MOA Members who have supported us so far. I hope more will follow. :wave

This was me on my way up the Alaska Highway in 2015.

Can't wait for the 2018 run ALL THE WAY up to Tuk! My GSA looks at me every day asking: "Can we just leave now!" And this time I'll have a nice reward at the end of the run... an I Made it to Tuk sticker. Thanks to all who have been donating to the Thanks Tuk campaign!!

Dawson Creek.jpg

Happy

HAPPY!!! The first batch of I MADE IT TO TUK stickers, several thousand, are now IN TUKTOYAKTUK!! They have arrived! Annie has told me how pleased they are with them. They will be going on sale shortly. She has promised me that she would be the very first client!! Annie and I are going to talk tomorrow about what else we can do together for Tuk. Maybe patches? Reflective stickers? We'll see... In any case, THANK YOU to all who have contributed and please, if you still believe in this project, share it with others. We'd like to keep going and give Tuk that little bit of extra help. Really very happy right now!! For those who have not yet donated, if you'd like to, gofundme.com/thankstuk

Annie with Stickers.jpg

See you in June

I just contributed a small amount to the Tuk fund, I'm very glad to see this happening. A group of us from Kenai are planning to ride up to Tuk prior to D2D this year. We're getting excited, and the snow is finally starting to melt here in Alaska. See you all in June! We'll be sure to contribute to the economy along the way and in Tuk also. I'm pleased to have helped make some stickers available for purchase to adventure riders headed on the new road this year. I hope there are still some left when we get there!

The Road to Tuktoyaktuk

It’s done. My very long, boring for some, dizzying for others, time-lapse covering my Spring 2018 ride from D.C. to Tuktoyaktuk.

Should you choose to watch the whole film, you will subject yourself to a 55-minute ride across America and up to the Arctic Ocean

The film starts where I started, in Washington D.C. and makes its way across the entire U.S.A., up through Alberta, along the entire mythical Alaska Highway, through Whitehorse where I met up with Anne and Eddie, and finally up the Dempster from Dawson to Tuk, passing through Eagle Plains and Inuvik. If you like long distance riding, I encourage you to watch the whole thing. If, however, you'd like to just watch portions, by all means, no offense taken, I have listed the milestones below.

The first 11 minutes take us from Washington D.C. to Dawson Creek, B.C., in Canada.
The Alaska Highway portion starts at: 11:40.
The Dempster Highway portion starts at: 24:06.

I list my thank you's in the film, but allow me here to especially thank all those who donated to the Thanks Tuk campaign and to those who bought an 'I Made It To Tuk' sticker once they got to Tuktoyaktuk.

I hope this film will inspire you to travel up the Dempster. If you do, be respectful of it and thank all those you come into contact with; remember, they live there.

Enjoy, but I repeat, watch at your own risk and please, don’t tell me it’s too long, I know, I was there!

Back