• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Replacement Question, Gel? Lithium, Li-Ion, CCA? 2010 R1200RT

Paul, you are a wrench, so that puzzles me. Why do you need more Ah and CCA when the stock battery works fine and you know how many years I get out of mine.

Provided your battery is on good heath, if you have starting issues, track down the issue which lies elsewhere.

The little 9AH battery just lacks reserve capacity. Here is an example. Voni and I both went for a ride the other day. When we got home in our rush to wash our hands and decontaminate things we both left our GPSs on the bikes, turned off but still connected which means they could charge. About 36 hours later I noticed this. Her R1100RS with a 20AH battery started right up. My G310GS with its 9AH battery wouldn't even light the headlight. That battery was new last September. Sure, I screwed up. That happens. I stand by the notion that a higher capacity battery would be a good idea, and easy to achieve with a Li-Ion unit.

Last edited:
Odyssey

The Odyssey 680 is very popular with the experimental aircraft crowd. It is capable of spinning a 200hp four cylinder aircraft engine easily. The reason only in experimental aircraft is that is not FAA certified, which doesn’t apply to home built aircraft.

The little 9AH battery just lacks reserve capacity. Here is an example. Voni and I both went for a ride the other day. When we got home in our rush to wash our hands and decontaminate things we both left our GPSs on the bikes, turned off but still connected which means they could charge. About 36 hours later I noticed this. Her R1100RS with a 20AH battery started right up. My G310GS with its 9AH battery wouldn't even light the headlight. That battery was new last September. Sure, I screwed up. That happens. I stand by the notion that a higher capacity battery would be a good idea, and easy to achieve with a Li-Ion unit.

Here is a Shorai LFX21L6-bs12 Rated 21AH that I tested a few years ago.
It did not perform well on my 1150GS at the 40F mark.

I was surprised to find this label on the bottom.

Attachments

• 7ah.JPG
    7ah.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 74
Here is a Shorai LFX21L6-bs12 Rated 21AH that I tested a few years ago.
It did not perform well on my 1150GS at the 40F mark.

Well personally I would not consider a LiFePo4 battery for countless reasons. I've worked in a battery lab long enough not to drink the Cool-Aid.

But I looked into some of the specifications and this one I find confusing. I have written Anti Gravity about it for an explanation as to how they calculate the capacity of the battery and under what conditions.

12 Amp Hours (PbEq)/ 6.1Ah (Actual)

As for my 1150GS Adventure that sits in Europe idle for 10.5 months a year, the factory GEL cell seems to be doing just fine. Last summer the battery was 6 years old and who knows how it is maintained while I am away.

Back