• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Replacement Question, Gel? Lithium, Li-Ion, CCA? 2010 R1200RT

Yes, I've bought items through them that I could not source locally. :thumb

As well, I've got a Shorai battery in my V-twin 1,000cc sportbike and its been cranking just fine for 5 years. Saved around 8 pounds over an AGM battery. And no, I do not ride in the winter which around here is December through February.

For us in QC there is no riding between Dec1 and March 15. All vehicles are required by law to have snow tires during this period.

Not exactly "motorcycle"-related, but definitely battery-related -

My Camry needed a new battery back in June of 2010, so I went to my local O’Reilly’s and got one of their “Super Start Extreme” 35EXTJ units. This is an old-fashioned "wet cell" unit. This is not the largest one that will fit on the car's battery shelf.

The car had recently been exhibiting “symptoms” for a while – taking a little longer to turn over at startup, lower idle if I had accessories on (especially the air conditioner!), drinking up from my charger... then finally it started just clicking the solenoid.

I have a MicroStart battery backup, so that wasn’t even an issue.

Considering the old battery had lasted NINE YEARS – I had No problem at all buying the same thing again. The new one was made in Mexico (per its sticker); I neglected to note where the old one was made.

Yes I did keep it topped up with distilled water and yes I sometimes put it on a trickle charger, since it's not my primary transportation.

Interestingly, there are a few snow tires made for motorcycles:
http://www.anlas-tyres.co.uk/winter-grip-plus/

Even with 'winter' tires I would not ride during these months
I watched the video and the lowest temp they show in the de demo is 0c (32F)

Before the 'winter' hits,I still ride when the temp is around -6/-10c. But once the ground freezes (usually around Dec 1st), I put the bike in storage until spring (We sometimes get down to - 30c during the winter months)

Riding in the winter months would also mean riding with all the salt they use to de-ice the roads getting in the bike and eating it from the inside.

YMMV

My Odyssey is now going on year 8. I never charge it but I do ride frequently, at least once a week. Not sure anything can top that lifespan so they won my loyalty.

My Odyssey is now going on year 8. I never charge it but I do ride frequently, at least once a week. Not sure anything can top that lifespan so they won my loyalty.

I'm at almost eight years on my PC680 so far, still going strong. If I won't be riding regularly (more than once in three weeks), it gets a full charge on an old Schumacher charger that has a 14.7V setting, and then goes on the Optimate 4 (13.6V) to maintain it according to Odyssey's recommendations. I'm thinking of getting a CTEK or Noco charger to avoid changing the chargers so much. Somehow, since I retired, I find I have four batteries that need "tending"- for the RT, the CB175 I'm storing for my niece, a compact tractor, and a minivan (AGM battery) that isn't used very often.

I thought that six and a half years on the original battery was pretty decent, though I would have liked a little warning before it just quit. Started easily after work, stopped a half mile later for gas, and it would not even light up the dash. Got going with a jump, but could not restart at home.

The original conventional lead-acid battery on our Camry is still working fine at nine years. I do notice that it is building up corrosion on the positive terminal rather quickly this year, in spite of several attempts to clean and prevent it. Keeping our MicroStart clone under the seat now in case it dies.

Last edited:
battery choice

I tried a Shorai a few years back it lasted 2 years, I got a pro rated replacement, at a substantial cost and it lasted 3 years.
I even spent the money on their charger.
Not a big fan of theirs ,they claim long life.
I'm back to AGM

Update on Deltran Lithium battery. I bought one almost 2 years exactly now and it's done. Checked on the bike today and the battery has no voltage. I put my bike up at the end of November and everything was fine. Jan 1st, I put the charger on it for about 15 min and topped it off. Went today to check the voltage and top off again and it's dead. I put the charger on it for about 10 min and nothing. I'm using a deltran battery charger for it also.

Update: I email Deltran to express my battery issue. For some reason the website says 1 year warranty on batteries, but the lithium's have a 3 year. (I must have over looked that) They sent me a new updated battery in a few days with no issue. My new battery looks different and is built a lot better than the old one. I can't wait to try it out. It even has more cranking amp than the old one.

Last edited:
There's a guy here in Canada with a very helpful and honest youtube channel. Check out Ryan F9... Some battery-related research...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ywopGAXP-I

Gotta love the weight savings advertizers and owners use of Li-Ion batteries. Hell, the majority of motorcycles weigh at least 500 pounds and owners are worried about a worst case 8.7 pound saving? :laugh :scratch

Then the batteries don't have the same form factor. I now need to shim it up so it doesn't slide around in the battery tray.

Why would I bother when the factory installed battery works just fine? Mine quit in the 9th year and cost me less than half of a specialty battery. Therefore I would expect at least 18 years from a specialty battery...yeah right.

Oh and there is a difference between CCA and CA. The specs are different.

Here is a really good one (not that most people would get that confused)...

Check out the + and - molded into the black casing.

Now check out the + and - in the product label.

I think someone should have flipped the label 180 degrees. lol

4-terminal-motorcycle-battery-antigravity-restart.jpg

Gotta love the weight savings advertizers and owners use of Li-Ion batteries. Hell, the majority of motorcycles weigh at least 500 pounds and owners are worried about a worst case 8.7 pound saving? :laugh :scratch

On the other hand, there are those of us who have bikes which weigh considerably less than 500 pounds and who can appreciate a significant weight reduction which costs much less than ti axles, bolts, etc. and who can actually feel the difference. If you can't, that's ok, I won't laugh at you.

Battery decision...

Good question - almost as contentious as an oil thread... Here's an opinion - Fortnine's youtube sensation giving you the goods about the pros and cons of each battery type... very informative channel for those who haven't heard of it yet.

Ryan F9 - no BS, and calls it like he sees it...

Good question - almost as contentious as an oil thread... Here's an opinion - Fortnine's youtube sensation giving you the goods about the pros and cons of each battery type... very informative channel for those who haven't heard of it yet.

Ryan F9 - no BS, and calls it like he sees it...

He is a salesman working for FortNine and lets look at one aspect (of many) in his demonstration.

Battery self-discharge. WTF cares. None of my batteries are sitting on a shelf. They are connected to any of my vehicles and the drain currents are hundreds of times more than the self-discharge.

Weight savings: 5 to 8 pounds in a 400 to 800 pound bike. 50 pounds on a 3400 car. Wow!

And every single BMW I have owned since new, the factory battery started every one of them and for years. If you have starting issues, do some diagnosis.

Then the batteries don't have the same form factor. I now need to shim it up so it doesn't slide around in the battery tray.

Why would I bother when the factory installed battery works just fine? Mine quit in the 9th year and cost me less than half of a specialty battery. Therefore I would expect at least 18 years from a specialty battery...yeah right.

True Dat

I can understand it if you are trying to squeeze all the performance you can out of a motorcycle, but for the typical street rider battery weight is my last concern. Touring bike? Even less of a concern as most riders pack up the backs then toss on a tail bag, more weight carried high. I just want to make sure the motorcycle will start when I am far from home. Plus I get a kick out of the guy that spends the bucks for some fancy low weight battery then tosses his 250 pounds on board! Can a rider tell the difference in the ten pounds? Perhaps, if the battery is carried high enough. On a current model RT the battery is carried pretty low, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.
I am not convinced that these Lithium-ion, or what ever the latest buzz word batteries are dependable yet.

When I ordered a shock from The Beemershop Ted told me to pack the bike for a trip and weigh the luggage and stuff. When it came in at 155 pounds, as much as like having a pillion passenger, he built the shock accordingly. I'm pretty sure I would not notice a 5 pound difference in the weight of a battery. YMMV

As for batteries my K75 came with a 30 amp hour (AH) battery. The little one available for the same bike was 19 AH. Voni's F800 came with a 14AH battery. Now our G310GSs have measly 9AH batteries. I certainly wish I could have a few more pounds of battery on the 310s. This actually might be a really good application for a Lithium Ion battery because I could pack more amp hours and cold cranking amps into the tiny space provided for a battery.

This actually might be a really good application for a Lithium Ion battery because I could pack more amp hours and cold cranking amps into the tiny space provided for a battery.

Paul, you are a wrench, so that puzzles me. Why do you need more Ah and CCA when the stock battery works fine and you know how many years I get out of mine.

Provided your battery is on good heath, if you have starting issues, track down the issue which lies elsewhere.

Back