• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Replacement Question, Gel? Lithium, Li-Ion, CCA? 2010 R1200RT

jsoque

Cousins,

Living on the water on Long Island, it's been pretty darn cold since before Xmas.

Started my lady up on a 20 degree morning over the weekend, probably just to hear the purr of her boxer motor.

Even though I had my tender plugged into her, she still started a little wearily, and so, I'm thinking my 4 year old battery needs replacement.

Surfing around though, there are so many choices out there!

Firstly I've seen sealed, which is my go to, then there is Gel, Lithium, Li-Ion, and so on. Does a Li Ion battery charge differently than a Lead Sealed Battery?

How many Cold Cranking Amps would suffice me here? I never really start her below 25 degrees, or until March, which ever comes first.

I am thinking that I should definitely shoot for higher CCA, on the low side I've see 170 cca, but I think I should go higher, more like 240, 300, 400, or even higher for colder weather?

I'll do a 4, 5, or 600 mile weekend come May thru October. Slab, occasional camping, some rain, no tornados, even fewer mountains. IBA 2000 on the schedule, but not in the books yet.

The usual electronics plugged into her, radar, iPhone, Givi lighted trunk, and electric trunk lid release, PIAA 1100, Gerbings heated x 2, seldom 3.
Fuse Block = Fuze Block professionally installed under the pillion.

LMK your thoughts, and let's pray for a swift winter to be over and done with!

Jim

Last edited:
Battery Replacement

I just finished replacing my original battery from my 2011 R1200RT. I knew it was time to replace this year but waited. Always on a battery tender when not being ridden. I was all set to ride off and had the click instead of a start. I had already research batteries and was going to get an AGM Wesco like what I have in my Miata. I instead went with the Odyseey PC680 AGM. 170CCA if I recall and just a tad shorter than OEM. Made up a spacer and all went in just fine. My battery tender trickle charges it at 13.5 V. The minimum that Odyssey calls for.
Bought it off of Amazon. Best price, two day delivery and free shipping. Hope to get at least 5 years out of it.

At 20 degrees its probably thick oil slowing things down.
I live in Minnesota...ask me how I know.
Odysey PC680 seems to be the battery of choice for us K16 guys.

Whats an IBA 2000? Never heard of that.

Joe

I'm in the same situation. I've been looking at the Odyseey PC680 also. Seems to be the safest bet without the worries of lithium.

Dr Neo is right, Iron Butt Ride, aka - Saddle Sore 2000, which is 2000 miles in under 48 hours.

Gonna spin up the numbers on that Odyssey PC 680 next!

I' looking at a True Gel Battery #51913, recommended for R1200 bikes, but does a gel battery require a different charge style
than a conventional lead acid sealed battery. All I know is that trickle chargers all put out about 13.5+ volts, but, I'd better do some more homework.

Nice prices on Yuasa High Perform Maint Free Batt YT19BS-BS too, but, requires adding acid from a sealed parallel container.

Thanks guys and will let you know.

Jim

Dr Neo is right, Iron Butt Ride, aka - Saddle Sore 2000, which is 2000 miles in under 48 hours.

Gonna spin up the numbers on that Odyssey PC 680 next!

I' looking at a True Gel Battery #51913, recommended for R1200 bikes, but does a gel battery require a different charge style
than a conventional lead acid sealed battery. All I know is that trickle chargers all put out about 13.5+ volts, but, I'd better do some more homework.

Nice prices on Yuasa High Perform Maint Free Batt YT19BS-BS too, but, requires adding acid from a sealed parallel container.

Thanks guys and will let you know.

Jim

Over the years I have bought several VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) "sealed" AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries that came with the lid off and acid in a separate container. To install the acid you take the acid container which has 6 compartments and nozzles that line up with the cells, invert, allow the acid to flow into the battery, and install the tight press-fit lid. Charge the battery and you are ready to go. It really isn't a big deal installing the acid at all.

I went with an EarthX 36L on my 2013 R12GS. I had a disappointment with a Shorai on a different bike and I like the BMS on the EarthX. EarthX recommends a 24L for the bike, but I think that the lithium guys all undersize using their "Pb equivalent" ratings. It has been faultless for a couple of years, and a bottomless pit of electrons. No issues in the coldest of weather starting the bike. But I can't recommend it for the price. Even if it last ten years, it would have been cheaper to buy a couple of Odysseys or Dekas. Different charger needed for sure with LeFePO4. I don't regret it for my application but that doesn't turn it into a general recommendation. I find the AGM's to be more tolerant than Gel batteries and the current best value choice. There are cheaper AGM's that a number of people have good experience with as well. The question has been thoroughly hashed and re-hashed as has the best charger for each technology.

On a side note with any battery you fill yourself. Let the battery sit for the recommended time in the instructions before charging. This is something people do not read the instructions on. Typically the battery needs a few hours for the acid and lead plates to adjust or "absorb" in basic terms. Filling and charging right away will lead to reduced battery life. I'm sure I could go into a long explanation, on why.. I'm hoping you just read the instructions like I suggested. I've worked at a few motorsports dealerships and have filled hundreds of those batteries.

Yeah, but who picked the color? In bikes where the batteries show they look horrible! Orange Odysseys look bad enough unless it is on a KTM.

Guess you could paint them.

Well, I guess a black brand of battery will be more aesthetically pleasing while waiting in the parking lot for a jump or tow... :) :)

Black Gorilla tape, signmaker’s vinyl, etc. etc. Lots of ways to camouflage that color.

Best,
DG

Ok, so I've been watching this battery post trying to figure out what battery I wanted also. (almost bought the odyseey)
I've wanted to go lithium to save weight and try new technology. If anyone is interested Walmart has the Deltran Battery Tender BTL14A240C for our bikes for $109.95. (online)

I ordered one and will be giving a review on it once I install it and use it for a couple weeks. I've read a lot about these batteries and have been on the fence about them. The best part is that it weights 1.7 lbs compared to the 14-15lbs the stock battery weights. Plus it has a 240cca rating and 4 post for extra accessories. I've owed several battery tender products and I've had good luck with them. The battery tender lithium battery also comes with a 3 yr warranty. :)

So, I'm hoping it's everything it's supposed to be. At the same price as the odyssey, it became to much to resist to try.

Worst case, it will end up in my lawn mower if I don't like it in the RT.

I used a Battery Tender Plus LiIon in my 2014 Triumph Trophy for a couple of years without issues including use in 110 degree weather. While cold may stress battery capacity, heat kills batteries. Amazon sells them as well.

I watched that evaluation purely for the entertainment value of the presenter. :thumb

Just keep in mind that this is not an independent channel. F9 is an online store.

Good online store though and generally good reviews

https://fortnine.ca/en/

I installed a Generic AGM battery in my 07 5 years ago and it still rates 13v+ ($40 CDN + shipping)
I always keep it on a tender when parked in my garage.

YMMV

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that this is not an independent channel. F9 is an online store.

Good online store though and generally good reviews

Yes, I've bought items through them that I could not source locally. :thumb

As well, I've got a Shorai battery in my V-twin 1,000cc sportbike and its been cranking just fine for 5 years. Saved around 8 pounds over an AGM battery. And no, I do not ride in the winter which around here is December through February.

Last edited:
Back