• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dell Computers Flash Sale - MOA Members only

Visian

look out!!!
And possibly Facebook only? :ha

https://bmwmoa.club/2DgGsji

8 hours only, this Friday. Dell Computers flash sale for MOA members. If you are in the market for a new computer, save 20% on Dell laptops, desktops and accessories.

Attachments

• flashsale.jpg
    flashsale.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 187
One caution...be careful you aren't buying the computer solely because it is a "good deal" that is going away in a few hours. Computer prices go down constantly. Thoughts of my mother come to mind and the "good deals" she got. ;)

I was curious on how good a deal we were getting, so I did a real quick search. Dell didn't seem to offer a Inspiron 5000 with only 4GB of RAM. The minimum they'll provide is 8GB. Amazon has a similar one with a smaller hard drive for $335.

When I worked at Boeing, we were offered a corporate discount on Dell computers. It seemed like a good deal. But it didn't come out much different than if I went to Costco and picked up one there with double the warranty.

I'm not saying to not take advantage of the sale...just do your homework. :)

Chris

I would rather make payments on a Macbook than be given a WinDoze computer.

The hay is always cheaper once it has been run through the horse.

You know what they say about opinions. As a system administrator for a very large K-12/church network for the last 15 years I have used hundreds of Dell and Apple devices of every flavor. There have been periods when each caused me more grief then the other for awhile. The last 5 years I have repaired many more of the apple variety. Each has its pros and cons. I couldn't make such general statements about either myself based on my experience. Wonder how you can?

You know what they say about opinions. As a system administrator for a very large K-12/church network for the last 15 years I have used hundreds of Dell and Apple devices of every flavor. There have been periods when each caused me more grief then the other for awhile. The last 5 years I have repaired many more of the apple variety. Each has its pros and cons. I couldn't make such general statements about either myself based on my experience. Wonder how you can?

I'm a user...not an expert; that's how.
Wonder no more, grasshopper.
Now you know and you can system administrate yourself into oblivion.

Wonder how you can?

User experience. Enjoyment vs. aggravation for me because of the operating system. Most would say that a Honda is more trouble-free than a BMW. But we are here because we value the BMW experience in total (warts and all) vs. what the alternatives provide.

Popeye the Sailor Man said:
Ya pays ya nickel, and ya takes ya choice.

Best deal available on a Dell is to buy an IMac. :dance

I agree.:hide

We use Dells at the office for our inventory and book keeping as well as one in the warehouse for shipping etc.
My 8 year old MacBook pro boots up fast enough that I'm on-line in 10 sec from a cold start whereas the PC requires :coffee and sweet talk depending on the day of the week.. Let alone all those updates on a daily basis.:banghead
Now I must say that the Dells are generally decent computers but for personal use I'm sticking with Mac's.... YMMV

I conducted a highly scientific research project to determine which is the better computer. When I was responsible for the dorms at a university we would get scores of computers shipped to us at the start of the academic year. The computers shipped were almost all Dell, Gateway (remember them) and Apple. I asked our UPS, FedEx and DHL drivers about the computers they picked-up for shipment, ostensibly for return for some problem. Gateways, unsurprisingly, were returned the most and Apples the least, with Dell nestled in the middle. I know there are unaccounted for variables in my study, but the results fit my bias, so I'm good.

Microsoft seems destined to have hits and misses with its operating systems. Windows 98 was a winner. Vista and 2000 not so much. XP was wonderful. Windows 7 was great. 8 was aggravating and Windows 10 is awful. I just spent $200 to get two computers "fixed" with a new installation of the operating system after they were killed by a Windows update. Then the next update corrupted one of them shortly after I got it back. It is going back to the tech to have the hard drive wiped and Windows 7 installed.

Last edited:
Paul -

Are you familiar with the system restore feature in Windows? I had an update go bad on me a while back, and used the restore feature to return my machine to the state it was before the update. Windows always makes a "copy" of the system at the start of any update for exactly this purpose. Turns out my problem wasn't the Windows update but rather an old driver for one of the system on the machine. When the update was completed, the old driver was incompatible. Once I got the correct driver, it was smooth sailing.

That is interesting because when I did get to Windows Restore it told me there were no restore points. None. Nada.

Windows restore worked great for me on all the older operating systems, but like you I would get the no restore point message with Windows 10. I did the free upgrade from 8.1 to 10.

Using Google I was able to find a work around. It will be interesting to see if it works the next time.

FWIW- I'm a fan of cleaning out the day to day crap the computer picks up along the internet highway and then backing it up to an external hard drive that is only connected during the backup.
OM

FWIW- I'm a fan of cleaning out the day to day crap the computer picks up along the internet highway and then backing it up to an external hard drive that is only connected during the backup.
OM

I use CClean for that every couple of days. Sometimes there is over 750 meg worth of junk. Machine runs a lot faster.
I back up to an external drive weekly. Windows does this automatically as soon as I connect to the External drive.

Joe

Back