• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Question R1200GS

altaflyer

Good Morning-Forgive any unintended slurs, faux pas, or errors from an inexperienced poster...

I wonder how long the battery will last unattended and ignored on my '15 R1200 GSA? Does anyone have any experience? Ideally, I would leave it on a battery tender when the weather here in SLC does not lend itself to riding, but I left the machine in an unpowered storage facility 300 miles away and forgot to disconnect the battery. I will be returning in about a month, but know how batteries hate inattention and depletion.

Driving back is not really an option-$100 in gasoline.

Any input appreciated.

Welcome altaflyer:wave
We all were new at this at some point...c'mon in!
Is alta in reference to the ski area?

You have asked one of those "it depends" questions with no perfect answer. Battery age, temperature average for the time period and just plain luck/anguish all factor in.
A month in my shop this time of year is no big deal while the same time in a frozen environment for others will deplete a charge.Some models have a parasitic draw or from an accessory added, not aware of a lot of compalints on the Wethead GS's .
Just take a set of m'cycle jumper cables and a battery source when you retrieve just in case and smile at your preparedness if you do not need it and happier that you did if needed.

Good Morning-Forgive any unintended slurs, faux pas, or errors from an inexperienced poster...

I wonder how long the battery will last unattended and ignored on my '15 R1200 GSA? Does anyone have any experience? Ideally, I would leave it on a battery tender when the weather here in SLC does not lend itself to riding, but I left the machine in an unpowered storage facility 300 miles away and forgot to disconnect the battery. I will be returning in about a month, but know how batteries hate inattention and depletion.

Driving back is not really an option-$100 in gasoline.

Any input appreciated.

Based on measurements on my 2017 R1200RTW, if it has the same parasitic (key off) current of about 1 mA, and you have to other add-on electrics, your battery will only discharge about 10%.

If that’s your case, you don’t have a problem. Even at twice that you’ll still be fine. Just charge the battery fully with an AGM charger when you get there.

Based on measurements on my 2017 R1200RTW, if it has the same parasitic (key off) current of about 1 mA, and you have to other add-on electrics, your battery will only discharge about 10%.

If that’s your case, you don’t have a problem. Even at twice that you’ll still be fine. Just charge the battery fully with an AGM charger when you get there.

Hey Roger:wave

I read no power in storage spot

and is your RT in Massachusetts or Florida? :D

Having had a battery failure on a 3 year Old Bmw C650gt I might take one one two options when I next visit the bike. One being one of those mini start batteries or the second option is bring a new battery with you change it out
With my luck battery would be dead and no dealers open for 2 days, just saying

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll bring jumper cables with me when I return in February and hope that the battery isn't damaged. I was so pleased with myself, having completed the 36,000 mile service in a remote location and not forgetting any of the required tools that I completely spaced the battery disconnect. Fingers crossed and hope for the best (prepare for the worst).

JW

Battery

I would expect it to be fine after six weeks, even two months. But as someone mentioned I do carry a lithium power pack all the time. Cost me $90 and will just start a diesel engine and charge all my toys when camping. :)

Back