• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Land Rover Defender.....It's back!

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
And looking good-

Land-Rover-Defender-Works-V8-front-three-quarters.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-Works-V8-rear-three-quarter.jpg

I missed a chance to purchase one some years back....I was at an event in Maryland where one of the sponsors was Land Rover. I guess it was as as advanced as it could have been, I seem to remember an all aluminum engine. I can't remember if The Prince of Darkness (Lucas) was the wiring back then.

They are and have an iconic look and were the choice for much of the real outback areas.

280px-Defender90.JPG

It's a limited edition in it's new production running at £150,000 in the UK. Around here with all the "fees", probably closer to $185,00.

Pretty cool anyway.

More at Motor Trend

OM

Always liked the look, never really thought about owning one. My closest was a1981 Jeep CJ-7:dunno

After watching the scene from The Gods must be Crazy, I can't look at one without thinking about it:rofl

We rode in a couple in the National Parks in southern Africa in 2004. They don't allow motorcycles in most national parks because the wildlife might eat or trample you. They were a premium vehicle back then too.

Always liked the look, never really thought about owning one. My closest was a1981 Jeep CJ-7:dunno

After watching the scene from The Gods must be Crazy, I can't look at one without thinking about it:rofl

I have a friend who thinks this movie is an all time great

It's a limited edition in it's new production running at £150,000 in the UK. Around here with all the "fees", probably closer to $185,00.

You left out a zero on that US price...Brings to mind a saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

We had a Land Rover Series II, the Defender precursor when I spent time in East Africa in the 70s. The IL 4 engine and drive train seemed indestructible. The electrics were another story. My memories of our adventures in it are priceless; however, $185 K to reprise them with a V8 Defender is way beyond belief.
:lurk

Around here, a Rover is purely a status symbol - I've never seen a dirty one. ("Drive defensively - buy a tank!")

A while ago, one of my neighbors had one, I don't recall the year or model (I'm really not a "car guy"). To say it had multiple and continuing electrical problems is a polite understatement (another manufacturer more concerned with doodads and geegaws than getting you there and back). One day, after a couple of hours of tracking down one of the issues (yay!), we had to push it backwards up a very small hill into his driveway for the night. Since I was the smallest of the group, I took the driver's seat. As we were rolling back and up, I twisted to look over my left shoulder to verify alignment into his driveway. As I twisted, I took my left hand off the steering wheel, and lightly "slapped" the turn signal stalk. That stalk (with all of its other functions) snapped clean off, right at the base where it goes into the steering column. Totally my fault, and certainly embarrassing, but the owner told me not to worry about it, there were several other issues much more major. We fixed it with a sleeve, two little pins, and JB Weld. But this is what they send out into the African bush??? Sheesh...

And now a pick-up truck?

land-rover-defender-pickup-by-kahn-design.jpg

Probably a big seller in the Urban "Mall Terrain" class. They are selling Jeeps with just about every off road accessory imaginable in this area.

OM

I guess it was as as advanced as it could have been, I seem to remember an all aluminum engine.

That would be the Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac aluminum V8 from the early 1960s. All tooling purchased by Land Rover in the late '60s or early '70s. Used in Rover cars and the Range Rover, not really in the base Land Rover until the V8 Defenders. This engine, modified by Repco, is a former Formula One World Champion ... think Dennis Hulme iirc

Back in the day when I was doing head work, all day every day. Did a lot of head work on the original rover aluminum V8 engines. Those were the nastiest looking heads I had ever seen. Those heads came in filled with sludge. I'm sure I was told what caused it, but I forgot. Got on the net and did a little reading. Apparently the factory used a sub standard gasket on the engine assembly in combination with a wrong torque setting during assembly. Anyway those heads were really terrible looking when they came in to be processed. After I did my rebuild procedure and finished the head work, those heads looked really good. Small compact light weight V8 engine. Hope Rover has got those little details finally figured out. For the amount of money one pays for a Rover, they should have it figured out by now. :)

Back