• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting there is half the fun!

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
Minus 20F this morning here in northern Vermont. I've used up 75% of the firewood for my shop's woodstove, so am saving the rest for warmer days when the stove only has to take the edge off the chill. Fortunately the winter overhaul of the sidecar rig is nearly complete: new lights, new wheel bearing, new shock, new paint for the subframe, all fasteners and wiring connections checked. All that's left is to clean and wax the beast...and wait for the end of this bitterly cold winter!

To keep my sanity and ward off PMS, I spend a lot of time in winter planning my route to and from the Rally. One could ride straight there and back, but there's no fun in that. Because we'll be visiting friends on the way out, our route and timeline is locked down. Vermont to Rochester NY to visit a friend and former co-worker who lost his sight. From there to Ludington MI for a ride across Lake Michigan then down to southern Wisconsin for a reunion of Glenlivet's littermates on their second birthday. West to Prairie du Chein then angling SW to Des Moines for a reunion of my MOA family.

Leaving the rally is a different story, and since I'll be retired by then for the first time in my life I don't actually have to be anywhere at a specific time. Well, except for the RA Rally in Wellsboro PA the following Friday. So the rough plan is to drop SE from the national, meander through farm country from Moravia to Farmington IA, then south on Missouri 19 before heading east and crossing the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau. That will leave us perfectly positioned to ride the scenic roads of southernmost Illinois and Indiana, across the top of Kentucky to southern Ohio, then into West Virginia and up through Maryland and Pennsylvania to the RA.

Pouring over ride reports, Butler Maps, and Google Earth it was fairly easy to pick a meandering route west to east...until I reach West Virginia. Holy cow there are SO MANY incredible roads in that state that I don't know where to begin! I'll enter WV near Clarksburg and exit north into Maryland near Hancock so I can ride PA 655 through the Big Valley. Between those two points, however, it doesn't seem like there's a bad route. So many choices!

The other unknown is which dog will ride with me. I'm hoping it will be Glenlivet, but his training was cut short by a seized wheel bearing and unless winter ends early he might not have enough miles under his collar to handle a multi-week adventure. In that case it will be Tulliver's third MOA rally and his first RA rally. My big red dog is a dream on the road and seems to blossom when he has me to himself, so again there are no bad options.

1.jpg

Moravia to Farmington IA,

I've worked in that area a couple months at a time and liked it.
Keosauqua, Bentonsport and Bonaparte on the Des Moines River are nice little towns to visit.

Used to have lunch at the Hotel Mannings in Keosauqua when I worked south of town. Not sure if it's still open.
http://villagesofvanburen.com/directory.html?item=1496

http://showcase.netins.net/web/manning/

Bentonsport
https://www.traveliowa.com/destination/bentonsport-national-historic-district/7376/

Boneaparte
https://www.traveliowa.com/destination/bonaparte-historic-riverfront-district/7377/

Thanks, Lee!

It's things like those that keep me from planning each stop on the way back east. Thanks to not having to rush back to my job I'll have the luxury of lingering and exploring places I find along the way. And when the RA Rally ends I have the option of riding home in one day...or heading for the Ozarks, Rockies, Cascades, Key West or ..?

Minus 20F this morning here in northern Vermont. I've used up 75% of the firewood for my shop's woodstove, so am saving the rest for warmer days when the stove only has to take the edge off the chill. Fortunately the winter overhaul of the sidecar rig is nearly complete: new lights, new wheel bearing, new shock, new paint for the subframe, all fasteners and wiring connections checked. All that's left is to clean and wax the beast...and wait for the end of this bitterly cold winter!

To keep my sanity and ward off PMS, I spend a lot of time in winter planning my route to and from the Rally. One could ride straight there and back, but there's no fun in that. Because we'll be visiting friends on the way out, our route and timeline is locked down. Vermont to Rochester NY to visit a friend and former co-worker who lost his sight. From there to Ludington MI for a ride across Lake Michigan then down to southern Wisconsin for a reunion of Glenlivet's littermates on their second birthday. West to Prairie du Chein then angling SW to Des Moines for a reunion of my MOA family.

Leaving the rally is a different story, and since I'll be retired by then for the first time in my life I don't actually have to be anywhere at a specific time. Well, except for the RA Rally in Wellsboro PA the following Friday. So the rough plan is to drop SE from the national, meander through farm country from Moravia to Farmington IA, then south on Missouri 19 before heading east and crossing the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau. That will leave us perfectly positioned to ride the scenic roads of southernmost Illinois and Indiana, across the top of Kentucky to southern Ohio, then into West Virginia and up through Maryland and Pennsylvania to the RA.

Pouring over ride reports, Butler Maps, and Google Earth it was fairly easy to pick a meandering route west to east...until I reach West Virginia. Holy cow there are SO MANY incredible roads in that state that I don't know where to begin! I'll enter WV near Clarksburg and exit north into Maryland near Hancock so I can ride PA 655 through the Big Valley. Between those two points, however, it doesn't seem like there's a bad route. So many choices!

The other unknown is which dog will ride with me. I'm hoping it will be Glenlivet, but his training was cut short by a seized wheel bearing and unless winter ends early he might not have enough miles under his collar to handle a multi-week adventure. In that case it will be Tulliver's third MOA rally and his first RA rally. My big red dog is a dream on the road and seems to blossom when he has me to himself, so again there are no bad options.

View attachment 65951

Is 644 in PA worth riding? We go up to Americade in Lake George, NY each June and each year look for destination points along the way. This year on the return we are going to hit the Zippo Lighter / Case Knife factory and museum in Bradford, PA. Looks like we could hook up with 655 on the way home. OR on the way up when we'll stay in Danville to hit Bills Old Bike Barn.

Also, you mentioned scenic roads in southern IL and IN .... tell me more!

Is 644 in PA worth riding? We go up to Americade in Lake George, NY each June and each year look for destination points along the way. This year on the return we are going to hit the Zippo Lighter / Case Knife factory and museum in Bradford, PA. Looks like we could hook up with 655 on the way home. OR on the way up when we'll stay in Danville to hit Bills Old Bike Barn.

Ed - I'm not familiar with PA 644 and the PA webpage says the number was never assigned. Is it a secondary road or..?

I don't have the big map with me ATM so can't give you the names of the roads, but my tentative route is south along Iowa's Historic Byway (Moravia to Bonapart) then thru Missouri's Mark Twain Forest to Cape Girardeau. If you have a map in front of you go north from there to Wolf Lake, Alta Pass, Makanda, Goreville, Ozark, Herod, Garden of the Gods in Illinois. Then up to Evansville IN to catch a tour of a WWII LST like those my father road. Then we follow the Ohio River to Tell City, take a meandering route north thru Hoosier NF generally following 37 to Paoli, then east on 56 to Madison where we cross the Ohio into Kentucky. Cross KY on a variety of twisty rural roads and cross back into Ohio at Maysville. Up to Hocking Hills, then east into West Virginia. If you connect those dots on the map you'll have a good idea of our path.

I'll schedule no hard stops, no "must reach by sundown" goals, as I want to embrace the freedom of retirement!

Ed - I'm not familiar with PA 644 and the PA webpage says the number was never assigned. Is it a secondary road or..?

I don't have the big map with me ATM so can't give you the names of the roads, but my tentative route is south along Iowa's Historic Byway (Moravia to Bonapart) then thru Missouri's Mark Twain Forest to Cape Girardeau. If you have a map in front of you go north from there to Wolf Lake, Alta Pass, Makanda, Goreville, Ozark, Herod, Garden of the Gods in Illinois. Then up to Evansville IN to catch a tour of a WWII LST like those my father road. Then we follow the Ohio River to Tell City, take a meandering route north thru Hoosier NF generally following 37 to Paoli, then east on 56 to Madison where we cross the Ohio into Kentucky. Cross KY on a variety of twisty rural roads and cross back into Ohio at Maysville. Up to Hocking Hills, then east into West Virginia. If you connect those dots on the map you'll have a good idea of our path.

I'll schedule no hard stops, no "must reach by sundown" goals, as I want to embrace the freedom of retirement!

Sorry if you look at my note I mistyped the first time but 2nd time got 655 correct. That is what I was asking about.

Totally agree about retirement. Last year I rode solo to the Rally in Salt Lake .... 21 days and about 6500 miles. I had reservations for about 12 nights. The rest was where ever I ended up at the end of the day. On that trip I rode a lot of what you mention above just not the IL l and ID parts. Will take a look. And living in Charlotte NC we ride a lot in VA and WV and you are correct ... not many bad roads at all! Stopped in Bowling Green KY at the Corvette Museum too. If you get anywhere near Matewan, WV you should stop for lunch and see the WV Mine Wars Museum.

Sorry if you look at my note I mistyped the first time but 2nd time got 655 correct. That is what I was asking about.

Ah! The northern section of 655 is called The Big Valley by the locals. It's just that, a big valley with no technical riding but incredible farmland with stands offering home baked goods. It's Amish country and judging from the buggy styles there are two, maybe three, distinct Old Orders in the valley. Some forest, scenic sweepers. Just a gentle, relaxing ride. Watch for the horse puckies in the road from the Amish.

Last year we were on a fun stretch of Hwy 150 in southern Indiana with sections in tree tunnels.
If I remember right it was between Prospect and Paoli.

I like the southern parts of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

Ah! The northern section of 655 is called The Big Valley by the locals. It's just that, a big valley with no technical riding but incredible farmland with stands offering home baked goods. It's Amish country and judging from the buggy styles there are two, maybe three, distinct Old Orders in the valley. Some forest, scenic sweepers. Just a gentle, relaxing ride. Watch for the horse puckies in the road from the Amish.

Your description sounds much like some of my favorite rides here in western Montana. Long & wide valleys, sparsely populated by ranchers and farmers, with a lightly traveled road running along a river carving its way through the landscape. Certainly not technical rides, but not straight either, generally with gentle sweepers and changes in elevation. I enjoy seeng the sometimes snow capped mountains on either side of the valley, elk and antelope herds and the agricultural operations. Very relaxing. One of our favorite day rides takes us through the Boulder, Madison and Jefferson River Valleys.

Hwy 41 north out of Maysville is a good road.

Holt BMW in Athens Ohio is a good stop. I like it because it's not a big fancy dealership.

That's the route we'll take, maybe zigzagging on the way up, or maybe straight up 41 to Chillicothe, then loop thru Hocking Hills SP before heading SE and crossing into WV south of Parkersburg.

Will have to work on this as one of the guys in our group wants to go through Springfield IL so that may take some creative routing.

In the December Rider magazine, Jenny Smith had a good article on the back roads of southern Indiana.

If you're going to be anywhere near Athens Ohio you gotta do the triple nickel (route 555). It's awesome. There's many great rides in the area. Athens is catering to the motorcycle crowd. They have a great brochure showing 9 good rides in the area.

If you're going to be anywhere near Athens Ohio you gotta do the triple nickel (route 555). It's awesome. There's many great rides in the area. Athens is catering to the motorcycle crowd. They have a great brochure showing 9 good rides in the area.

+1 on SE Ohio! We did some of those roads including the Triple Nickel (555) in 2016 on our way to the rally in Hamburg. Great roads and beautiful rolling hills and farmland.

Premium no alcohol hard to find in some areas.

Last summer when riding to Des Moines from Joplin on highway 65, I was unable to find any premium between Sedalia Missouri and Indianola IA. I could only get the Caseys 89 octane alcohol laced crap. The Old RS pinged some. Other than that, it was a relaxing ride thru farm country.

Rod

Last edited:
I'm planning to hit the rally on my way home from Tuk. Pretty direct route there on secondary roads. I think it will be pretty, mostly on roads I've never ridden. From Des Moines heading due east also on secondary roads which will all be new until Calais, ME then pretty much the drone home to Newfoundland from there. Should be plenty to burn up a new set of tires.:)

Last summer when riding to Des Moines from Joplin on highway 65, I was unable to find any premium between Sedalia Missouri and Indianola IA. I could only get the Caseys 89 octane alcohol laced crap. The Old RS pinged some. Other than that, it was a relaxing ride thru farm country.

Rod

Non-ethanol premium is very rare here in the southeast. But we can find 89 or 90 octane relatively easy and my '12 and '16 run perfect on that mid-grade stuff.

Non-ethanol premium is very rare here in the southeast. But we can find 89 or 90 octane relatively easy and my '12 and '16 run perfect on that mid-grade stuff.

Almost all stations in Iowa have non-ethanol 87 AKI.
Unless it's a small town of a couple thousand or less you can find non-ethanol 91 AKI.
89 AKI almost always has 10% ethanol.

Back