• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rt. 50 - Pacific to the Atlantic

Hi Folks,

Many, many thanks for all the input! I appreciate the sentiments on WV 50 - funny story there. I grew up in the DC area and as long as I can remember Rt. 50 was the gateway to camping and fishing, first with my Dad and then on my own. When I got my first BMW (a beautiful red K75S on October 14, 1995) I came over from a 600 Ninja and SRX750, the longest day on either was probably 100 miles. That first weekend I decided to pack a lunch and leave at dawn, hoping for a 150 mile day. I rode west out Rt. 50, which mind you back then was a very lonely road after Middleburg, and I just kept going. I made it to Mt. Storm before I turned south and wandered back (pre-GPS days when the Delorme ruled) making it as far as See’s Motel in Wardensville and about 300 or so miles. It was a revelation, and my (pay phone) call that night to my then girlfriend now wife letting her know I’d gotten a little further than expected became the first of many.

And not long after that ride I met Bob Higdon who had just ridden it coast to coast himself - over the intervening years he has spoken about that ride often. Often enough that for my first coast to coast I knew it had to be it.

I think I have the bike, we will know in the next few days. A 2013 R1200RT with22k miles in magnificent shape with a dutiful original owner who carefully broke it in and had all services done on time as verified by the local dealer’s Service Manager. It is a good days ride up the PCH from the Golden Gate where I hope to start the ride, but it didn’t take long to accept that caveat :). I’m a diehard K bike guy and have never ridden an Oilhead any distance, but I understand this particular bike is a nice segue into that world from a K75RT.

(Hey Don, up for riding it again in late May? I think these days I can finally match you in speed ;-)

East of Salina. UT, 50 and 70 run on the same slab. If you would like to ride the real "loneliest road", drop down to Torrey (I've enjoyed the Broken Spur Inn & Steakhouse, if your schedule provides for a stop there), continue east on 24 to Hanksville, then take 95 to Blanding. 95 is the real "loneliest road"!!

The entire ride is a great look at western scenery of the National Park type. But did I mention, it is lonely.

From Blanding you can make your way east to Delta, CO, and pick up 50 again there.

If you are into folksy history, stop at the Gunnison Pioneer museum. Our "antecedents" had it tough!

Ride safe.

Ya all got me thinking of doing this trip on 50!

Ironically in the movie “Wild Hogs” were they start their oad trip, there is a road sign showing State Road 50 West, I assume out of Cincinnati. Not sure if the movie was making a statement or not.

Back