Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rt. 50 - Pacific to the Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I laughed when I saw the "next services" 83 miles sign. Taking TX118 south from Alpine (past our house) it is 80 miles to the next fuel at Study Butte/Terlingua and there is no such sign. Some people just know; and some from the east, or the city stop at our house for help because they are running out of gas.
    I, too, smiled at that sign, Paul. There are lots of places west of the Mississippi River with similar stretches but no warning signs. I personally think that 50 is not even on my Top Ten List of "loneliest" highways. The two or three times I have been on it there were plenty of vehicles--at least one every five miles or so.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I, too, smiled at that sign, Paul. There are lots of places west of the Mississippi River with similar stretches but no warning signs. I personally think that 50 is not even on my Top Ten List of "loneliest" highways. The two or three times I have been on it there were plenty of vehicles--at least one every five miles or so.
    Two more gas customers recently. One a local. One from some urban area far far away in a galaxy not from around here. It relates to fuel, phone service, and a whole lot of the comfort zone. The east is not the west, and urban is not rural America. Live and learn. That is why I keep fuel on hand.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    US 64 in NM qualifies if it's your first cross country trip, pre internet and pre GPS, and you think those little circles on the map with names must be towns so you DO NOT fill up in Taos, or Tres Piedras, or Chama, or Dulce. No worries, there are plenty of "towns" ahead.

When out west, including Texas, always fill up if you're near 1/2 tank. It beats staring longingly at dirt road crossings every few miles.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    US 64 in NM qualifies if it's your first cross country trip, pre internet and pre GPS, and you think those little circles on the map with names must be towns so you DO NOT fill up in Taos, or Tres Piedras, or Chama, or Dulce. No worries, there are plenty of "towns" ahead.

When out west, including Texas, always fill up if you're near 1/2 tank. It beats staring longingly at dirt road crossings every few miles.
    Wyoming is the state with the most dots on a map that appear to be towns, but are actually only a double-wide with a neon sign hanging on a pole in the yard. One of my favorite states, I love it!
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

IMG_20170610_123814660.jpg

Along US-50 Nevada

About 85 miles in any direction to another fuel source.. and it's regular-unleaded-unadulterated (no ethanol..)

BTW - besides the occasional car - I've seen scooters (Vespas and BMWs) crossing 50, and a guy on a bicycle.

Hotel Nevada at Ely - is the place to stay - they are "biker friendly":
    20150605_000008.jpg

The one thing I didn't like last time on US-50 - sidewinds from the south all the way from before Eureka NV to Grand Junction CO - 40MPH constant with gusts to 60.. all the tractor-trailers were parked since a few blew over. It made for interesting riding.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Hi Folks,

Many, many thanks for all the input! I appreciate the sentiments on WV 50 - funny story there. I grew up in the DC area and as long as I can remember Rt. 50 was the gateway to camping and fishing, first with my Dad and then on my own. When I got my first BMW (a beautiful red K75S on October 14, 1995) I came over from a 600 Ninja and SRX750, the longest day on either was probably 100 miles. That first weekend I decided to pack a lunch and leave at dawn, hoping for a 150 mile day. I rode west out Rt. 50, which mind you back then was a very lonely road after Middleburg, and I just kept going. I made it to Mt. Storm before I turned south and wandered back (pre-GPS days when the Delorme ruled) making it as far as See’s Motel in Wardensville and about 300 or so miles. It was a revelation, and my (pay phone) call that night to my then girlfriend now wife letting her know I’d gotten a little further than expected became the first of many.

And not long after that ride I met Bob Higdon who had just ridden it coast to coast himself - over the intervening years he has spoken about that ride often. Often enough that for my first coast to coast I knew it had to be it.

I think I have the bike, we will know in the next few days. A 2013 R1200RT with22k miles in magnificent shape with a dutiful original owner who carefully broke it in and had all services done on time as verified by the local dealer’s Service Manager. It is a good days ride up the PCH from the Golden Gate where I hope to start the ride, but it didn’t take long to accept that caveat . I’m a diehard K bike guy and have never ridden an Oilhead any distance, but I understand this particular bike is a nice segue into that world from a K75RT.

(Hey Don, up for riding it again in late May? I think these days I can finally match you in speed ;-)
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

East of Salina. UT, 50 and 70 run on the same slab. If you would like to ride the real "loneliest road", drop down to Torrey (I've enjoyed the Broken Spur Inn & Steakhouse, if your schedule provides for a stop there), continue east on 24 to Hanksville, then take 95 to Blanding. 95 is the real "loneliest road"!!

The entire ride is a great look at western scenery of the National Park type. But did I mention, it is lonely.

From Blanding you can make your way east to Delta, CO, and pick up 50 again there.

If you are into folksy history, stop at the Gunnison Pioneer museum. Our "antecedents" had it tough!

Ride safe.

Ya all got me thinking of doing this trip on 50!

Ironically in the movie “Wild Hogs” were they start their oad trip, there is a road sign showing State Road 50 West, I assume out of Cincinnati. Not sure if the movie was making a statement or not.