• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rt. 50 - Pacific to the Atlantic

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

I've got two weeks off in June and I've decided to buy a bike in the Bay Area/Sacramento and ride it from San Franciso to Ocean City, MD, entirely (or as much as possible) on Rt. 50. I've been doing a bit of research on the road and will be taking the old/historic track wherever possible, and avoiding the interstates at all cost.

First the bike - I've decided on a '10 to '12 R1200RT, or an '07 - '09 if I can't find a newer one. Budget is $10k tops. Seeking any kind souls willing to keep an eye out, and if a good one is spotted maybe take a look for me. Also seeking any thoughts or suggestions on where to store a bike should I find one until late may.

Gear - RF-1200, CBTs, and my 30-year old Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece :). Bringing along a micro bag and bivy sack, but will plan on motels the whole way, non-chain and funkier the better. Think the Tip-Top outside of Romney, WV, right on Rt. 50 and an old favorite of mine.

Then the trip - seeking all advice on all aspects, the road, great independent motels, can't miss diners and restaurants, don't miss sights along the way, etc. I've extensive touring experience and have been looking forward to a (non-IB) coast to coast for some time, would sure appreciate any Rt. 50 local or "been there" knowledge.

Thanks!

Ted

Good luck on your trip, sounds like fun. On my way to Billings Rally, I dropped down into West Virginia and took US50 all the way to Kansas City before heading Northwest to Montana. Cant help you on funkie motels as I avoid them in favor of state and federal parks. Pacific Brew Haus in Pacific MO is one place I remember, not sure if there still open as Pacific has some pretty severe flooding a year or two ago. Woodyard BBQ in Kansas City is another

A short detour off of US50 comes to mind. A short distance past the Stateline at South Lake Tahoe, turn right on SR207 - Kingsbury Grade. First few miles is a bit of development, but over the crest the views will open up to Carson Valley and the Pine Nut range in the distance. A pleasant ride down through the twisties as you go quickly down the steep east slope of the Sierras. At the valley floor follow the signage to Minden-Gardnerville.

Depending on where you started your journey that day, you’ll probably be around five or six hours into your ride. If that’s enough time in the saddle for the first day, there are a few little non-chain motels around. A couple of them in the south end of Gardnerville are within easy walking distance of the J-T Restaurant, which is HIGHLY recommended for a unique dining experience with their Basque dinner house menu. If you like adult beverages, try a Picon Punch, a very unique Basque drink. If you have two or three of these you will need to be within walking distance of your motel...

From Minden it’s a short ride back to connect with US50 in Carson City. I’d recommend fueling up in Fallon as you head east on The Loneliest Highway. Gas prices are a tad cheaper there then they are until you get to Eureka or Ely. Some long straight stretches along through Nevada, might be a chance to open the throttle a little. :)

Have a great ride!

Cheers,
Bill J

I rode most of US50 westbound in Utah and Nevada in the Fall of 2012 on a 2008 RT. There's a reason that out there it's called "The Loneliest Road in America." I do recall seeing another vehicle approaching from the west about every ninety minutes or so. I practiced my no-hands riding. Interestingly, there was plenty of cellphone service on AT&T.

Here are a couple of photos of the area...one of which is a reminder to keep an eye on your fuel levels:

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

I rode most of US50 westbound in Utah and Nevada in the Fall of 2012 on a 2008 RT. There's a reason that out there it's called "The Loneliest Road in America." I do recall seeing another vehicle approachi serviceng from the west about every ninety minutes or so. I practiced my no-hands riding. Interestingly, there was plenty of cellphone service on AT&T.

Here are a couple of photos of the area...one of which is a reminder to keep an eye on your fuel levels:

View attachment 65956

View attachment 65957

View attachment 65958

I laughed when I saw the "next services" 83 miles sign. Taking TX118 south from Alpine (past our house) it is 80 miles to the next fuel at Study Butte/Terlingua and there is no such sign. Some people just know; and some from the east, or the city stop at our house for help because they are running out of gas.

When I was a kid in Fallon (50’s and early 60’s) and most cars only got around 15mpg or so...the stretch from Fallon to Eureka could be a challenge. There was a gas station at Cold Springs and one in Austin...but you were never quite sure if they would be open. Now it’s not quite as big a deal.

I think Nevada SR6 from Tonopah to Alamo (160 miles) is lonelier. Riding an R1100S you squeeze every drop of fuel into the tank and ride “moderately”. My last trip through there I saw 6 vehicles, two of them being horse trailers. I did see some antelope playing...

The Basin and Range across Nevada and Utah is some of the most interesting topography I have ever seen. It is a great place. I have ridden through there on two cross country motorcycle trips and worked all over that part of the country doing field work.

Somewhere in West Virginia, a gas station attendant told me the road was so tight you could see your own tail lights!

Enjoy!

Voni
sMiling

Rt. 50 Eats

In the Annapolis area close to Rt. 50/ 301 on west side of bay a restaurant called Cantler's it is very good get the crab cake sliders on the appetizer menu very tasty. Be on the lookout, on the road to Cantler's there are several traffic calming areas/ speed bumps with appropriate signs that say traffic calming, you may want to stop and meditate if you have ridden Rt. 50 thru D.C.

At the eastern end of a long Nevada stretch (Loneliest Road in America) like the one in the prior post is a left turn. Many moons ago there was the largest hawk I'd ever seen having lunch by the roadside. (Golden eagle actually, but we'd never seen one before.) The eagle flew up as we approached and I slowed the K75s to take a better look. The eagle must have thought we were after it's lunch because it turned and dive bombed us, actually striking Susan's helmet with its talons. Super cool! There is lodging in Ely (as in Robert).

In Colorado you need to take 347 down into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Look for it just east of Montrose. It's a short side trip down into the canyon ad well worth a few minutes of your time.

And ditto to what Voni said. The West Virginia, Virginia section is beautiful as well. Enjoy the ride!

Route 50

This looks to me like a great ride and adventure; with the added bonus of seeing and experiencing our great country from the Pacific to Atlantic Oceans. Now, I want to do this ride. Keep us posted and as usual; ride and enjoy. :wave

RT 50, WV Restaurants

I live in Bridgeport, WV and recommend either Twin Oaks Restaurant or Gourmet Cafe. Both restaurants are right on Route 50. Twin Oaks is Italian and serves full meals and hoagies. Gourmet Cafe is more of a sandwich place. Both places are popular with locals. If you want something classier with higher quality try Provence Market. It is only a mile or two off of Rt 50.
There are many motels in the area but most are chain.

I laughed when I saw the "next services" 83 miles sign. Taking TX118 south from Alpine (past our house) it is 80 miles to the next fuel at Study Butte/Terlingua and there is no such sign. Some people just know; and some from the east, or the city stop at our house for help because they are running out of gas.

I, too, smiled at that sign, Paul. There are lots of places west of the Mississippi River with similar stretches but no warning signs. I personally think that 50 is not even on my Top Ten List of "loneliest" highways. The two or three times I have been on it there were plenty of vehicles--at least one every five miles or so.

I, too, smiled at that sign, Paul. There are lots of places west of the Mississippi River with similar stretches but no warning signs. I personally think that 50 is not even on my Top Ten List of "loneliest" highways. The two or three times I have been on it there were plenty of vehicles--at least one every five miles or so.

Two more gas customers recently. One a local. One from some urban area far far away in a galaxy not from around here. It relates to fuel, phone service, and a whole lot of the comfort zone. The east is not the west, and urban is not rural America. Live and learn. That is why I keep fuel on hand.

US 64 in NM qualifies if it's your first cross country trip, pre internet and pre GPS, and you think those little circles on the map with names must be towns so you DO NOT fill up in Taos, or Tres Piedras, or Chama, or Dulce. No worries, there are plenty of "towns" ahead. :dunno

When out west, including Texas, always fill up if you're near 1/2 tank. It beats staring longingly at dirt road crossings every few miles. :dance

US 64 in NM qualifies if it's your first cross country trip, pre internet and pre GPS, and you think those little circles on the map with names must be towns so you DO NOT fill up in Taos, or Tres Piedras, or Chama, or Dulce. No worries, there are plenty of "towns" ahead. :dunno

When out west, including Texas, always fill up if you're near 1/2 tank. It beats staring longingly at dirt road crossings every few miles. :dance

Wyoming is the state with the most dots on a map that appear to be towns, but are actually only a double-wide with a neon sign hanging on a pole in the yard. One of my favorite states, I love it!

IMG_20170610_123814660.jpg

Along US-50 Nevada

About 85 miles in any direction to another fuel source.. and it's regular-unleaded-unadulterated (no ethanol..)

BTW - besides the occasional car - I've seen scooters (Vespas and BMWs) crossing 50, and a guy on a bicycle.

Hotel Nevada at Ely - is the place to stay - they are "biker friendly":
20150605_000008.jpg

The one thing I didn't like last time on US-50 - sidewinds from the south all the way from before Eureka NV to Grand Junction CO - 40MPH constant with gusts to 60.. all the tractor-trailers were parked since a few blew over. It made for interesting riding.

Back