• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav VI - How Do I Stop Small Craft Warning Alerts-------

river-runner

Small Craft alerts, Gale Warning Alerts, Rough Bar Warnings - What, Is my GSA gunna do, sprout pontoons? I rode down to the coast today and back to Portland and was pestered by weather related warnings from the Nav VI.

Seriously, how does a guy stop this? I get a Ding in my ear every time one of these alerts come up - I've had Weather Inversion warnings, you name it. There has to be a way to toggle it.

Thanks.

I turned off the Garmin smartlink option. Solved the problem for me (I have a Nav V).

On a Garmin 595LM, the warnings seem to occur if your phone's GPS is not turned on. Smartlink is a phone app and uses the phone's location to provide weather warnings. When I turned on the phone GPS, I got the appropriate warnings.

I suspect the Nav VI is similar in function.

Chris

River-Runner/Tanker rendez-vous

I usually make the DVR, but have bailed on the Payonia Top of the Rockies event the last few years cause I don't do well in hot weather.
Huge desert crossing from SoCal!
This year I plan going even if it takes hauling a bike to Flagstaff or Durango.
If its a single malt your talkin about, I might be altering course & steering the Tanker on a Northwesterly course instead!
Barnacle Bill

Last edited:
I called the OEM Desk at Garmin this am. Told the guy about getting "Marine Alerts" in addition to weather alerts and traffic alerts. I signed up for both weather and traffic via the Nav VI/Android app.

My Garmin guy had not heard of getting small craft warnings and could not give me a way to toggle that alert off. I'd like to continue getting the weather and traffic alerts - they have value to me.

So I will continue to be updated on status of the Columbia Bar Crossing for Small Craft and Air Inversion Alerts! You just can't make this stuff up!

So this is the sixth version of the BMW Navigation device. What did version one do if we have seen at least six software updates? If it wasn't for a bunch of people with way too much money - this thing wouldn't fly. Can you imagine if Honda came out with this for their demographics - it would get an immediate Dead Cat Bounce......

I called the OEM Desk at Garmin this am. Told the guy about getting "Marine Alerts" in addition to weather alerts and traffic alerts. I signed up for both weather and traffic via the Nav VI/Android app.

My Garmin guy had not heard of getting small craft warnings and could not give me a way to toggle that alert off. I'd like to continue getting the weather and traffic alerts - they have value to me.

So I will continue to be updated on status of the Columbia Bar Crossing for Small Craft and Air Inversion Alerts! You just can't make this stuff up!...
This appears to be an issue with either a) the settings of your Nav-VI and others that are having the same issue, or b) a bug that is affecting only a small number of Nav-VI units. I've not had this issue on any of mine and I'm not aware of any of the dozens of riders that I know with these units having that issue. Nor have I seen it mentioned with any frequency here (outside this post), or in other Forums that I follow.

I know that doesn't help, but it certainly is not a common issue.

... this is the sixth version of the BMW Navigation device. What did version one do if we have seen at least six software updates? ...
I believe you are referring to it being the sixth model of the BMW Navigator - Navigator VI or Nav-VI for short.
The current software for the Nav-VI is at v4.90

What exactly is it that you are asking? If you're wanting to know what changes were made from the BMW Nav-I to Nav-VI models, to answer it would take a ton of time and space. Even just addessing the changes in software revisions for the Nav-VI from v1.0 to the current v4.90 would take up pages and pages and likely not address whatever it is you'd actually like to know.

The previous software versions worked fine for most things, but there were, as always, some issues with various features, compatibilities, etc. One of the most recent software updates dealt with issues that Apple created when they changed versions of iOS. The Nav-VI worked properly with the previous iOS but had issues with the newer release. Unlike Android systems, Apple's iOS is extremely proprietary and therefore can be difficult to fix if issues between iOS versions (not that Android isn't also a pain in that regard from time to time - just not as big a pain).

Here is an overview of the changes made from the previous Nav-VI software (v4.70) versus the current v4.90:
Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.90:
Allow the media player to be accessed on all motorcycles, including models with a radio (GT, GTL, GTLE, RT)
Added the option to erase all personal user data from device
Allow the streaming of album cover art
Fixed issue with Indexing music from certain iOS devices
Fixed freeze caused by connection to certain iOS devices
Fixed issue where the Automatic Skip Waypoint feature would skip all remaining points in a route
Fixed issue where Smartphone Link! would not reconnect after a quick power cycle of the motorcycle
Fixed an issue where the use of Pandora or Spotify triggered the BMW Motorrad Communication system to go into intercom mode
Improved call quality when communication with iOS devices
Improved Round Trip routing behavior with Toll Road avoidances
Improved Automatic display brightness when the Navigator is installed on compatible motorcycles
Improved Bluetooth connection

Some will look at that and complain that these things don't work well, or are over-priced for what they do. I would counter that they work as well or better than, and are priced similar to, anything comparible. You will find tons of apples-to-oranges comparisons that aren't of much value. On an apples-to-apples comparison, these units work well. That doesn't mean there aren't issues. There certainly are. But any fair and proper comparison of the alternatives will likely show what I have found, The Garmin GPS units are amoung the best available and work as well or better than their comparible competition for pricing that is also comparible.

... If it wasn't for a bunch of people with way too much money - this thing wouldn't fly ...
The BMW Garmin unit is less expensive than the Honda Garmin unit. Also, don't make the same mistake that most folks do - comparing a "basic" automotive GPS unit to a motorcycle/marine/aviation specific unit. There are significant differences between these. I have automotive, marine and motorcycle GPSs and there is a significant premium to be paid if you want motorcycle/marine/aviation specific units.

If you don't care to spend the money necessary for units designed for those environments than get an automotive unit or rig up a smartphone GPS app. Those are very little outlay if any.

... Can you imagine if Honda came out with this for their demographics - it would get an immediate Dead Cat Bounce...
I don't have a Wing anymore, but they were, and I think still are, Garmin units just as the BMW Nav-VI and it's predecessors.

Hope you can find a cure to stop the Small Craft Warnings. That would almost drive me crazy. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

So I will continue to be updated on status of the Columbia Bar Crossing for Small Craft and Air Inversion Alerts! You just can't make this stuff up!

So this is the sixth version of the BMW Navigation device. What did version one do if we have seen at least six software updates? If it wasn't for a bunch of people with way too much money - this thing wouldn't fly. Can you imagine if Honda came out with this for their demographics - it would get an immediate Dead Cat Bounce......

So did you try what I suggested?

Chris

Don't blame the GPS, blame the Garmin Smartlink app. The small craft warning have little to do with with the Nav VI, I get them on my Nav V.
They are what you get when you sign up for weather alerts in the SmartLink app.
Although they call it a premium service, (you pay a small one time premium) it's a very basic function.
There is no way to filter out the alerts or turn them off.
The strong gale warning does get old after a while, specially if it gets repeated every 20 minutes or so.

The Smartlink app picks up on the location on your phone. Turn on the GPS on your smartphone, and Smartlink (a phone app) will provide the alerts based on where you are...not a tri-state area.

Chris

The Smartlink app picks up on the location on your phone. Turn on the GPS on your smartphone, and Smartlink (a phone app) will provide the alerts based on where you are...not a tri-state area.

Chris

Yes, I have the GPS on my phone activated. That is not the issue. I live less than an hour from the St-Lawrence Seaway. The app sends small crafts warnings anytime I ride in the area and it's windy. That is all fine and dandy except, I'm not in a small boat on the river, I'm riding a bike.
I had the alerts when I rode along the US eastern seaboard. I also had them, repeatedly, when I rode around Lake Superior.

Having the alert once, not a problem, repeating it makes it annoying. It makes the app useless, you just want to turn it off. Then you miss all the other alerts.

If the app designers can't figure a way to get only the alerts related to your type of activity or GPS, a simple filter to hold or remove unwanted alerts would do.

Until they do, the premium option is useless to me.

Sorry it isn't working. I live very close to Puget Sound and we get high wind warnings all the time...but they don't come across my Garmin 595 like they used to. Turning on the phone's GPS seemed to take care of that.

One thing I did find entertaining that I'm sure is in the Nav V and VI. I was headed through South Dakota and there were thunderstorms all around me. I got the warning on the GPS as you'd expect. I brought up the weather app and it tracked the thunderstorms with my planned route. I could also add the animation which showed the movement of the thunderstorms. In one case, I slowed up a bit and was able to watch as the thunderstorm moved away from the road as I came up to it.

Chris

As long as you use the Garmin Smart Link app -- and have subscribed to the weather service -- you will get weather alerts. Depending on where you are, those alerts may well include small craft advisories. I get them all the time on my Nav VI (just like I did on my Nav V), because I live in the Washington, D.C., area, relatively close to the ocean. This is a common complaint, by the way, and as pointed out already, it's not related to the Navigator per se. It's the Smart Link app, and its weather service. If anyone thinks it's only discussed on the MOA Forums, they obviously haven't spent time on ADVRider. I know if I delete the Smart Link app from iPhone, and then download it again, I will be asked whether I want to receive alerts. I've always said yes. I don't know what would happen if I said no. Would I lose all weather alerts, including small craft advisories? I have no idea, and I don't plan on trying. Something tells me I might appreciate getting a tornado alert, as I'm cruising down the highway out west someday.

As long as you use the Garmin Smart Link app -- and have subscribed to the weather service -- you will get weather alerts. Depending on where you are, those alerts may well include small craft advisories. I get them all the time on my Nav VI (just like I did on my Nav V), because I live in the Washington, D.C., area, relatively close to the ocean. This is a common complaint, by the way, and as pointed out already, it's not related to the Navigator per se. It's the Smart Link app, and its weather service. If anyone thinks it's only discussed on the MOA Forums, they obviously haven't spent time on ADVRider. I know if I delete the Smart Link app from iPhone, and then download it again, I will be asked whether I want to receive alerts. I've always said yes. I don't know what would happen if I said no. Would I lose all weather alerts, including small craft advisories? I have no idea, and I don't plan on trying. Something tells me I might appreciate getting a tornado alert, as I'm cruising down the highway out west someday.

When it’s totally driving me crazy, I do a force stop (android) on the smartlink app and that takes care of it. I live near Lake Ontario and the small craft advisories on non stop and completely interrupts audio. Not to mention the flood alerts for every possible creek that might be running high.

Back