Thread: New Policy change in my HD shop, something for you to consider

New Policy change in my HD shop, something for you to consider

We have variety of HD repairs on a variety of HD equipment and is seems that my comeback rate got over the magic 8% to almost 12% in the last few months.

We use iPads for tracking time, parts etc. We now use the picture app and take pictures of every piece of equipment during the inspection, take pictures of every hose, nut/bolt during the repair and then pics of the finished machine. Everything gets uploaded to the Cloud.

Adds about 45-60 minutes per 8 hour job. My comeback rate dropped to 2% this last week and only one customer complaint that we missed something.

My thoughts were to add this process, lose the billable time but make it up on the back end by not having comebacks. To my surprise, in a two week period, we went from 66% productivity to 70%.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have found that almost anything that helps keep the rhythm of a repair (or project) is worth it. I’m currently involved with a group that decided to do some sprucing up of a (Kenworth) 10 wheeler body. The project mutated from there to evenreplacing the frame rails. It’s been apart for a year and a half
    I suspect it might look great, if it ever gets back together..........but never be the same.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

PM me if you need help. I got software for what you are doing. Just need the VIN.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    PM me if you need help. I got software for what you are doing. Just need the VIN.
    Thanks
    It’s not really my job, I just look at it and ask ‘em “ when are you gonna take that out for a push”? While I could have done the job.........with every nut and bolt out of a 10-wheeler, letting the job go this long is tough on the outcome.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

This comes a tad late for me, but would have been nice to have when I was oiling/maintaining a road building crew a couple of years ago. I kept a ring binder on each vehicle, it was a nightmare, my rig looked like a library after a tornado blew through it.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

We have variety of HD repairs on a variety of HD equipment and is seems that my comeback rate got over the magic 8% to almost 12% in the last few months.

We use iPads for tracking time, parts etc. We now use the picture app and take pictures of every piece of equipment during the inspection, take pictures of every hose, nut/bolt during the repair and then pics of the finished machine. Everything gets uploaded to the Cloud.

Adds about 45-60 minutes per 8 hour job. My comeback rate dropped to 2% this last week and only one customer complaint that we missed something.

My thoughts were to add this process, lose the billable time but make it up on the back end by not having comebacks. To my surprise, in a two week period, we went from 66% productivity to 70%.
    So Yoda, what did the documentation change? Didi it make the techs more careful/thorough etc?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    So Yoda, what did the documentation change? Didi it make the techs more careful/thorough etc?
    Thorough. We miss very little now. What they do is look at something, say the interior of the cab and now they notice missing switch labels, torn seats, frayed seat belts. Taking pictures of the pre-inspection and the post inspection has also completely eliminated the dreaded, "well it wasn't broken when I brought it in".

As well, pics through out a particular process, in the best example I can think of was a charge pump replacement on a loader. My mech was in a rush to do the job but during his pre-inspection, he took pictures of the hose routing. When it didn't work, we went back to the pictures we saw he reversed the drain and PPT lines.

Thorough. We miss very little now. What they do is look at something, say the interior of the cab and now they notice missing switch labels, torn seats, frayed seat belts. Taking pictures of the pre-inspection and the post inspection has also completely eliminated the dreaded, "well it wasn't broken when I brought it in".

As well, pics through out a particular process, in the best example I can think of was a charge pump replacement on a loader. My mech was in a rush to do the job but during his pre-inspection, he took pictures of the hose routing. When it didn't work, we went back to the pictures we saw he reversed the drain and PPT lines.
    I was trying to figure out what the "interior of the cab" is on a Harley Davidson when I finally realized your original post was about a Heavy Duty equipment shop not a Harley shop.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

I think its a brilliant idea and good advice. A few well angled pictures have helped me immensely on several jobs. And I'm sure it's more than a little gratifying when someone gives you the "it wasn't broke when I left it speech" to see the look on their face as they scan the pre-inspection photo's.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Being a RA Instructor, I see behind the scenes of our local H-D Dealerships and they have done this for sometime now. They take photos of the bike before it even gets in the shop with the customer and the photos/videos don't stop there.
    Before the bike is even delivered to the customer on the back end, it even gets detailed.... at no charge! You can eat off the floor of the shop and each workstation.... think it's right about 16-20 lifts with 2 three-wheel lifts, is like a picture perfect photo. My Beemer dealership.... not so much!!