• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Policy change in my HD shop, something for you to consider

dieselyoda

We have variety of HD repairs on a variety of HD equipment and is seems that my comeback rate got over the magic 8% to almost 12% in the last few months.

We use iPads for tracking time, parts etc. We now use the picture app and take pictures of every piece of equipment during the inspection, take pictures of every hose, nut/bolt during the repair and then pics of the finished machine. Everything gets uploaded to the Cloud.

Adds about 45-60 minutes per 8 hour job. My comeback rate dropped to 2% this last week and only one customer complaint that we missed something.

My thoughts were to add this process, lose the billable time but make it up on the back end by not having comebacks. To my surprise, in a two week period, we went from 66% productivity to 70%.

I have found that almost anything that helps keep the rhythm of a repair (or project) is worth it. I’m currently involved with a group that decided to do some sprucing up of a (Kenworth) 10 wheeler body. The project mutated from there to evenreplacing the frame rails. It’s been apart for a year and a half :scratch :banghead
I suspect it might look great, if it ever gets back together..........but never be the same.
OM

PM me if you need help. I got software for what you are doing. Just need the VIN.

It’s not really my job, I just look at it and ask ‘em “ when are you gonna take that out for a push”? While I could have done the job.........with every nut and bolt out of a 10-wheeler, letting the job go this long is tough on the outcome.

OM

icon_lurker.gif

This comes a tad late for me, but would have been nice to have when I was oiling/maintaining a road building crew a couple of years ago. I kept a ring binder on each vehicle, it was a nightmare, my rig looked like a library after a tornado blew through it.

We have variety of HD repairs on a variety of HD equipment and is seems that my comeback rate got over the magic 8% to almost 12% in the last few months.

We use iPads for tracking time, parts etc. We now use the picture app and take pictures of every piece of equipment during the inspection, take pictures of every hose, nut/bolt during the repair and then pics of the finished machine. Everything gets uploaded to the Cloud.

Adds about 45-60 minutes per 8 hour job. My comeback rate dropped to 2% this last week and only one customer complaint that we missed something.

My thoughts were to add this process, lose the billable time but make it up on the back end by not having comebacks. To my surprise, in a two week period, we went from 66% productivity to 70%.

So Yoda, what did the documentation change? Didi it make the techs more careful/thorough etc?

So Yoda, what did the documentation change? Didi it make the techs more careful/thorough etc?

Thorough. We miss very little now. What they do is look at something, say the interior of the cab and now they notice missing switch labels, torn seats, frayed seat belts. Taking pictures of the pre-inspection and the post inspection has also completely eliminated the dreaded, "well it wasn't broken when I brought it in".

As well, pics through out a particular process, in the best example I can think of was a charge pump replacement on a loader. My mech was in a rush to do the job but during his pre-inspection, he took pictures of the hose routing. When it didn't work, we went back to the pictures we saw he reversed the drain and PPT lines.

Thorough. We miss very little now. What they do is look at something, say the interior of the cab and now they notice missing switch labels, torn seats, frayed seat belts. Taking pictures of the pre-inspection and the post inspection has also completely eliminated the dreaded, "well it wasn't broken when I brought it in".

As well, pics through out a particular process, in the best example I can think of was a charge pump replacement on a loader. My mech was in a rush to do the job but during his pre-inspection, he took pictures of the hose routing. When it didn't work, we went back to the pictures we saw he reversed the drain and PPT lines.

I was trying to figure out what the "interior of the cab" is on a Harley Davidson when I finally realized your original post was about a Heavy Duty equipment shop not a Harley shop.

I think its a brilliant idea and good advice. A few well angled pictures have helped me immensely on several jobs. And I'm sure it's more than a little gratifying when someone gives you the "it wasn't broke when I left it speech" to see the look on their face as they scan the pre-inspection photo's.

Being a RA Instructor, I see behind the scenes of our local H-D Dealerships and they have done this for sometime now. They take photos of the bike before it even gets in the shop with the customer and the photos/videos don't stop there.
Before the bike is even delivered to the customer on the back end, it even gets detailed.... at no charge! You can eat off the floor of the shop and each workstation.... think it's right about 16-20 lifts with 2 three-wheel lifts, is like a picture perfect photo. My Beemer dealership.... not so much!! :scratch

Back