• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil leak

That appears to be a leaking valve cover gasket to me.

Clean it all up. Spray it with a white powdery antiperspirant spray. then the brown stain in the white powder will become obvious as to its source.

Looks like a pre-'75 head? If those are exposed stud tubes that I see through the head fins, you may have oil leaking around the tubes, between the steel tube and the aluminum. The O-rings under the rocker tower sleeves are supposed to control that. BMW no longer sells the right O-ring for that spot, but I can dig the dimensions out if that is the problem.

You need to pull off one rocker at a time, slide the sleeves off the towers, and see if you have O-rings under there.

Some of this may be described on my website.

Thanks for the help. I've replaced the valve cover, cleaned it up and will watch it. If it's still leaking, I'll check the o rings.

Back