Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: 2019 BMWMOA location?

Quote Originally Posted by fmdualexhaust View Post
    Anybody know where the rally will be on 2025? I will be 72 that year and would like to start planning my route now.
    I heard Kalihiwai, Hawaii...and there will be a Rally Train!!!
    2008 RT
    MOA #46783

While I will readily admit to not being a rally rat, the current kerfuffle has raised a couple of questions for me.

In the dim dark past I thought the next rally site was revealed at the rally BoD and generally to the membership at closing. If this is correct, when did this change and why. The change seems a dubious marketing strategy.

Was it announced in open session? If so being leaked, by anyone attending, to Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pintrest would be a matter of time much shorter than the time to the delivery of May ON.

The bylaws state ON and the Website [Homepage] shall be the primary means of communication. The the board may establish other means but forum is not on the list of official vehicles to communicate this type of announcement; nor are Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pinterest.

Did the professional staff ever
    a.Remind the BoD of the delay between announcement in the April meeting and the publication timing for announcement in ON?
    b. Why did it take until Monday the 16th to get it in the Latest News section of the Website?
    It is my understanding that for over a decade we have had the ability to remote manage and update the webpage. In 2018 I do not see having the meeting where the announcement being made as any explanation or excuse for the resulting membership kerfuffle and BoD embarrassment. It appears the volunteer part of the circus did their job but the rest took a break.

From the bylaws
    BMW MOA bylaws
    SECTION 3. PUBLICATIONS OF BMW MOA

3.1: The official publications of BMW MOA shall be BMW Owners News and the officially authorized BMW MOA website bmwmoa.org. BMW Owners News shall be published on a monthly basis in a printed format. Both the BMW Owners News and the BMW MOA website page bmwmoa.org shall be the primary means of communicating information regarding BMW MOA to the members. (Revised November 29, 2017)
    3.2: BMW Owners News shall be sent to all individual members, except as otherwise provided in these Bylaws.
    3.3: The Board of Directors ("Board") may establish other publications, in printed format or otherwise, as deemed appropriate. The Board has the sole authority to authorize BMW MOA publications.

As an individual, I too am a little dubious about Facebook. With some changes my footprint there would shrink dramatically and perhaps all together. However, the BMW MOA is another story. WIth a shrinking membership and the cost of exposure a more aggressive strategy for it and the other online communication vehicles make sense.

Facebook
    17309 followers
    Description
    Welcome to the Facebook Group for the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America… the MOA. For BMW motorcycle enthusiasts, the MOA means thousands of new friends and an endless number of resources for your ride. Whether you need tech advice, ride planning or simply to connect socially with BMW motorcycle riders, please join us at www.bmwmoa.org

The rules for the group are fairly standard. Be polite, avoid divisive topics and enjoy some BMW motorcycle related conversations with your friends. The moderators will take action on anything that is not in the best interest of the group. If you need more specifics, visit our forum guidelines: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?fa...tingguidelines.

Have fun, make some new friends and enjoy the ride!

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/bmwmoa
    6074 followers

Linkedin
    https://www.linkedin.com/groups/932787/profile

Pintrest
    https://www.pinterest.com/bmwmoa/
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Mika, always with the well researched post.

The bylaws state ON and the Website [Homepage] shall be the primary means of communication. The the board may establish other means but forum is not on the list of official vehicles to communicate this type of announcement; nor are Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pinterest.

Very nice post. As the author of the current bylaw change; a couple of explanatory comments:

You are right on all accounts with a slight nuanced exception. The website and ON are the primary means of communication from the board, indicating that there are alternate forms of established communication to be used.

Regarding the forums: the forums are the website: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/newreply.p...6389&noquote=1

In the URL I just highlighted for this page, one can clearly read bmwmoa.org. So technically, the forums are the website. Anyone who can access the forums can access the website home page with one click. Posting information, as I often do with the minutes, linking a news page from the website to a forums thread, is an excersise in redundancy, made by me, in an over abundance of desire to transmit information to the membership above and beyond the minimum requirements.

Mika, thanks for taking the time to make a well researched and thoughtful post.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    All they would have to do with something urgent is to post in the Clubhouse section.
    I was trying to refer to the post about having a locked forum available to the board members.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Walking through a lobby, it’s hard to “post on the forums” with a smart phone. (Doing so now PIA).
    Same for me, I don't like to post from my phone.
    I was waiting to get back to my room and use my tablet which is slightly better.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wonder if it hit FaceBook from a Cray or a phone
    on
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Tapatalk app.... does it still work for this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post

As an individual, I too am a little dubious about Facebook.

Facebook
    17309 followers
    Our Facebook Group members have a *lot* of suspect individuals. Many people with zero moto on their page, let alone BMW. And... there are many fakes that have a few bike pics in their profile and belong to a million different moto groups, where they can build lists for their own purposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Yes Ian, some have had trouble after an upgrade or server change but Ted gets them back up pretty quick.
    Overall, people seem happy with TapaTalk. I'm not really familiar with it.
    Sent from my iphonium
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    This is one of the reasons I only had family and other people I physically knew, as 'friends' on fakebook.
    It may be a good idea to filter access to the MOA fakebook page by asking for current valid MOA member numbers and thus reducing/eliminating fakes.
    It will be a bit of work but, IMHO, worth it to keep some semblance of integrity on there...
    I was one of 6 admins for a large MTB group here in S.Florida and we started by adding those people we all knew for real and slowly added more people who where vetted by the group.
    On occasion a faker would get in and spam the page, but they were quickly eradicated like the rats they were. YMMV just my 2 pennies....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I was one of 6 admins for a large MTB group here in S.Florida and we started by adding those people we all knew for real and slowly added more people who where vetted by the group.
    On occasion a faker would get in and spam the page, but they were quickly eradicated like the rats they were. YMMV just my 2 pennies....
    Exactly how it currently works on our group page. As we have a demonstrated model of active recruitment to non members (I have personally recruited six members on the group page in the last 12 months); I have, and will continue to advocate strongly that it remains an open site.

As so many here have voiced their concern about our membership numbers, it follows that every recruitment tool available should be used to its fullest extent.

The key to keeping our Facebook presence viable is the continued policing of gross violations not just by our moderators and admins, but also by members that observe the transgressions and report them in a timely manner to admins.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Yes

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Exactly how it currently works on our group page. As we have a demonstrated model of active recruitment to non members (I have personally recruited six members on the group page in the last 12 months); I have, and will continue to advocate strongly that it remains an open site.

As so many here have voiced their concern about our membership numbers, it follows that every recruitment tool available should be used to its fullest extent.

The key to keeping our Facebook presence viable is the continued policing of gross violations not just by our moderators and admins, but also by members that observe the transgressions and report them in a timely manner to admins.
    That is great!! Thank you!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA