• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2019 BMWMOA location?

It would be a simple matter to add a section to this forum that is only for board members to make announcements on. Just like www.bmwsporttouring.com has.
Very simple, no members can post or comment on it and the message gets posted here on the forum as it should.

I like this idea.
Announcements can now be listed on the home page, but an Announcement Sub Forum would give board members a quick and easy way to announce a new event or a change.

It would be a simple matter to add a section to this forum that is only for board members to make announcements on. Just like www.bmwsporttouring.com has.
Very simple, no members can post or comment on it and the message gets posted here on the forum as it should.

I like this idea.
Announcements can now be listed on the home page, but an Announcement Sub Forum would give board members a quick and easy way to announce a new event or a change.

We have the clubhouse section now. If any of the board members would like to post, they only need to get the information to a Moderator and we can post it in a closed thread......
Perhaps a “sticky” with the title “From the Board” or “From the Home Office”.
Gary

I got my BMWMOA Weekly Digest this morning. The 2019 Rally didn't make the news :(

I got my BMWMOA Weekly Digest this morning. The 2019 Rally didn't make the news :(

2019 Rally promotion doesn't begin until the 2018 Rally Closing Ceremonies...same thing every year. Simple announcement followed by silence. See you at a rally somewhere.

We have the clubhouse section now. If any of the board members would like to post, they only need to get the information to a Moderator and we can post it in a closed thread......
Perhaps a “sticky” with the title “From the Board” or “From the Home Office”.
Gary

Unfortunately that process may take too long to satisfy some members.

At first I thought the idea of making a sub forum available to board members like the admins or moderators use would be simple.
The big snag with that, other members can not read a admin or moderator forum :)
Nothing is ever simple.

I can't think of a good way for board members to make announcements, then instantly lock the thread, unless you're willing to give all board members moderator powers.

I'm fine with announcements being made on the home page as long as it's done in a timely manner.
Not a big deal to me who wins the race to break the news.

2019 Rally promotion doesn't begin until the 2018 Rally Closing Ceremonies...same thing every year. Simple announcement followed by silence. See you at a rally somewhere.

Chuck, I think that misses a point. It was not "announced" on the official web site. It was not "announced" on the MOA's own Forum. It was posted on Facebook and the first dozen or so responses didn't believe Tracy, until I pointed out she was a Board member and a reliable source who would be expected to know what was going on. Then Sue Rihn posted it to the Ambassadors page on Facebook. So I, a mere civilian since 2001 posted it to the MOA Forum. So to this moment it was not "announced" by MOA anywhere. Reece did confirm what I posted to the Forum but that is hardly an announcement to the membership.

And let's be realistic. The deal was essentially done, ready to be ratified at the Board meeting. The "announcement" of this should have been in the can ready to go active on the Website and Forum right after the Board meeting. This is not rocket surgery.

Last edited:
I am done forever with Facebook, and twitter etc. Selling information is enough. But proliferation of fake and false news, some is simply idiots, some is simply evil.

We have an official web site. First post should always be here.

Rod

Unfortunately that process may take too long to satisfy some members.

At first I thought the idea of making a sub forum available to board members like the admins or moderators use would be simple.
The big snag with that, other members can not read a admin or moderator forum :)
Nothing is ever simple.

I can't think of a good way for board members to make announcements, then instantly lock the thread, unless you're willing to give all board members moderator powers.

I'm fine with announcements being made on the home page as long as it's done in a timely manner.
Not a big deal to me who wins the race to break the news.
All they would have to do with something urgent is to post in the Clubhouse section.
This is all academic.....really. If “they” all didn’t get on board with this concept, chances are it would look rather goofy 🙃
OM

I am done forever with Facebook, and twitter etc. Selling information is enough. But proliferation of fake and false news, some is simply idiots, some is simply evil.

We have an official web site. First post should always be here.

Rod

Ditto.

My brother and I have pulled our business and personal accounts from fakebook as well.:dance

Technically speaking, the announcement, was first made to the membership in person at the board meeting. All members are welcome and were welcomed to attend. At the conclusion of the board meeting anyone in attendance that is not board or staff could post anything that was said in their social media of choice, including Lee who was in attendance.

It seems appropriate for a board member to make a post as soon as practicable to get in front of the information in an official manner. The information was posted within the hour on our club’s two major social networks Facebook (for members and non members) and the forums (for members only).

It will also be announced on the website in the minutes soon. It takes me about 20 man hours to produce the minutes and they have to be approved, you’ll see those in a month. The staff, probably Wes Fleming, will hang this and other information on the website when appropriate.

Also released in open session; we added two new Getaway locations. One that I’m very excited about, as Rhonda and I may be able to host it in Destin Florida, the other in Pocono Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
While I will readily admit to not being a rally rat, the current kerfuffle has raised a couple of questions for me.

In the dim dark past I thought the next rally site was revealed at the rally BoD and generally to the membership at closing. If this is correct, when did this change and why. The change seems a dubious marketing strategy.

Was it announced in open session? If so being leaked, by anyone attending, to Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pintrest would be a matter of time much shorter than the time to the delivery of May ON.

The bylaws state ON and the Website [Homepage] shall be the primary means of communication. The the board may establish other means but forum is not on the list of official vehicles to communicate this type of announcement; nor are Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pinterest.

Did the professional staff ever
a.Remind the BoD of the delay between announcement in the April meeting and the publication timing for announcement in ON?
b. Why did it take until Monday the 16th to get it in the Latest News section of the Website?
It is my understanding that for over a decade we have had the ability to remote manage and update the webpage. In 2018 I do not see having the meeting where the announcement being made as any explanation or excuse for the resulting membership kerfuffle and BoD embarrassment. It appears the volunteer part of the circus did their job but the rest took a break.

From the bylaws
BMW MOA bylaws
SECTION 3. PUBLICATIONS OF BMW MOA

3.1: The official publications of BMW MOA shall be BMW Owners News and the officially authorized BMW MOA website bmwmoa.org. BMW Owners News shall be published on a monthly basis in a printed format. Both the BMW Owners News and the BMW MOA website page bmwmoa.org shall be the primary means of communicating information regarding BMW MOA to the members. (Revised November 29, 2017)
3.2: BMW Owners News shall be sent to all individual members, except as otherwise provided in these Bylaws.
3.3: The Board of Directors ("Board") may establish other publications, in printed format or otherwise, as deemed appropriate. The Board has the sole authority to authorize BMW MOA publications.

As an individual, I too am a little dubious about Facebook. With some changes my footprint there would shrink dramatically and perhaps all together. However, the BMW MOA is another story. WIth a shrinking membership and the cost of exposure a more aggressive strategy for it and the other online communication vehicles make sense.

Facebook
17309 followers
Description
Welcome to the Facebook Group for the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America… the MOA. For BMW motorcycle enthusiasts, the MOA means thousands of new friends and an endless number of resources for your ride. Whether you need tech advice, ride planning or simply to connect socially with BMW motorcycle riders, please join us at www.bmwmoa.org

The rules for the group are fairly standard. Be polite, avoid divisive topics and enjoy some BMW motorcycle related conversations with your friends. The moderators will take action on anything that is not in the best interest of the group. If you need more specifics, visit our forum guidelines: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_postingguidelines.

Have fun, make some new friends and enjoy the ride!

Twitter
https://twitter.com/bmwmoa
6074 followers

Linkedin
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/932787/profile

Pintrest
https://www.pinterest.com/bmwmoa/

Mika, always with the well researched post.

The bylaws state ON and the Website [Homepage] shall be the primary means of communication. The the board may establish other means but forum is not on the list of official vehicles to communicate this type of announcement; nor are Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or Pinterest.

Very nice post. As the author of the current bylaw change; a couple of explanatory comments:

You are right on all accounts with a slight nuanced exception. The website and ON are the primary means of communication from the board, indicating that there are alternate forms of established communication to be used.

Regarding the forums: the forums are the website: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/newreply.php?p=1126389&noquote=1

In the URL I just highlighted for this page, one can clearly read bmwmoa.org. So technically, the forums are the website. Anyone who can access the forums can access the website home page with one click. Posting information, as I often do with the minutes, linking a news page from the website to a forums thread, is an excersise in redundancy, made by me, in an over abundance of desire to transmit information to the membership above and beyond the minimum requirements.

Mika, thanks for taking the time to make a well researched and thoughtful post.

Walking through a lobby, it’s hard to “post on the forums” with a smart phone. (Doing so now PIA).

Same for me, I don't like to post from my phone.
I was waiting to get back to my room and use my tablet which is slightly better.

Back