Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Battery Mantainer

  1. #1

    Battery Mantainer

    Hi Everyone,
    I need to get some input, on my 2016 R1200RS I want to get a battery maintainer. One dealership tells me only the BMW one that plugs into the port can be used because of all the electronics. Another dealerships tells me a battery tender will work fine that's what they use on there sales floor, any input would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    445
    One of the most popular and most recommended of these devices is the Battery Tender, Jr.

    http://a.co/24Icw9L

    You would need to connect the included SAE pigtail to the battery (easy), and could eventually use that same pigtail to power your heated jacket by adding a SAE to Coax adapter.

    The BMW one works well but its main benefit is that you would use the bike's power port, which is not possible with BT Jr.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

  3. #3
    Registered User roger 04 rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida & Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,903
    If you add an SAE 2 pin pigtail to your battery you can use a battery maintainer designed for AGM batteries. Make sure to use one that does NOT have a high voltage desulfation mode, which spikes the voltage too high.

    You want your maintainer to charge at about 14.4-14.8 volts and hold at 13.6 to 13.8.

    I measured my stock RTW last week and it only draws about 1 mA with the key off so only loses about 5% of the battery’s charge every two weeks. So if you ride once every two weeks you may not need a charger.

  4. #4
    Registered User roger 04 rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida & Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    One of the most popular and most recommended of these devices is the Battery Tender, Jr.

    http://a.co/24Icw9L

    You would need to connect the included SAE pigtail to the battery (easy), and could eventually use that same pigtail to power your heated jacket by adding a SAE to Coax adapter.

    The BMW one works well but its main benefit is that you would use the bike's power port, which is not possible with BT Jr.
    The Battery Tender Jr. has too low a trickle charge voltage for an AGM battery. There are other better units.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    445
    FWIW the BT Jr's manufacturer has this to say about use with AGM batteries:

    "Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)."

    A principal difference between this unit and others is that this one is slow, as in overnight or slower. Many riders prefer a more powerful, faster charging model.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

  6. #6
    Now, another option is the Optimate 4 Can Bus edition. I have 2of these and they work great. Amazon for about $79. I also have the Bmw charger as well as a battery tender JR connected with Sae direct to battery and a regular battery tender. As stated previously , the battery tender can not plug into the Bmw port. You need to use the sae pigtail option. Either the Optimate or Bmw charger will plug in and talk to the canbus


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

  7. #7
    DigtlArtst
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    Now, another option is the Optimate 4 Can Bus edition. ...
    I've had one of these for years, on three successive BMW Canbus RTs. Look no further.
    John
    '16 R1200RT - MOA 109871

  8. #8
    Brand X at $29.95 or brand Y at $79.95. One distinction.

    Might charge to 90% vs might charge to 98% on a given battery. Another distinction, based on charger voltage.

    Will charge a depleted (left the GPS on) battery in 4 hours vs might charge it in 10 hours. Another distinction.

    Pick your poison.

    Alas - in the last 5 years battery charger threads have erupted like oil threads or tire threads. Most folks like what they bought

    I have at least 5 different brand/types of chargers for motorcycles. Tender. Tender Junior, Optimate, Schumacher, etc. I keep at least 6 bikes on chargers for parking/storage most of the time. I go out - start the bikes, ride away, and smile. Some are cheap. Some are not. Read the favorites with a grain of salt.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  9. #9
    Registered User roger 04 rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida & Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    FWIW the BT Jr's manufacturer has this to say about use with AGM batteries:

    "Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)."

    A principal difference between this unit and others is that this one is slow, as in overnight or slower. Many riders prefer a more powerful, faster charging model.
    Yes, they do say that. Just measure the voltage at the battery after the charger is in long term maintenance mode. The BT Jr. is in the low 13s, and you want high 13s. If the BT Jr is now high 13s you’re good to go.

    Personally I have no favorite charger to recommend, just one with enough voltage. The less you ride, the more it matters since the charger is doing most of the work to keep your battery healthy.

    Here is my charger, I can set the voltage and monitor the charging current. It works on all my bikes, cars and boats (even an offshore lobster trawler once with 500 lbs. of dead batteries that limped to port). It’s cumbersome to use but always charges to 100%. It cost $44.95 on eBay and delivers up to 10 amps. On an AGM battery I start at 14.6-8 volts and reduce to 13.8 for maintenance charging.

    E1CF1816-82D6-4EAD-9804-1BC0F786BAF5.jpg

  10. #10
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,764
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    915
    I would forget using the bikes plug to connect charger, why to many issues,
    Wire direct to battery with a fuse either a SAE OR POWERLET CONNECTOR, I went with a powerlet and OPTIMATE4 on all my bikes. Also doubles as a power scource for heated gear and Tire inflator, neither of which will function from factory plug, current RT is my 6th Bmw to have this done

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    Yes, they do say that. Just measure the voltage at the battery after the charger is in long term maintenance mode. The BT Jr. is in the low 13s, and you want high 13s. If the BT Jr is now high 13s youíre good to go.

    Personally I have no favorite charger to recommend, just one with enough voltage. The less you ride, the more it matters since the charger is doing most of the work to keep your battery healthy.

    Here is my charger, I can set the voltage and monitor the charging current. It works on all my bikes, cars and boats (even an offshore lobster trawler once with 500 lbs. of dead batteries that limped to port). Itís cumbersome to use but always charges to 100%. It cost $44.95 on eBay and delivers up to 10 amps. On an AGM battery I start at 14.6-8 volts and reduce to 13.8 for maintenance charging.

    E1CF1816-82D6-4EAD-9804-1BC0F786BAF5.jpg
    How well would this work as a "maintenance" charger for a bike parked for 2 or 3 months?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  13. #13
    Registered User ROBERTSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Espanola, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    143

    battery tender plus !

    When inquiring about this subject with my local bmw dealership, he advised to go with the battery tender Plus and not the junior model. Bike at the time was 05 GS and now 2014 1200gsa. ...
    13 years later. ....no issues. Just sayin'

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    How well would this work as a "maintenance" charger for a bike parked for 2 or 3 months?
    Depends on whether the ripple voltage is high enough to achieve desulphation yet low enough to be safe for on-board electronics.

    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

  15. #15
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Brand X at $29.95 or brand Y at $79.95. One distinction.

    Might charge to 90% vs might charge to 98% on a given battery. Another distinction, based on charger voltage.

    Will charge a depleted (left the GPS on) battery in 4 hours vs might charge it in 10 hours. Another distinction.

    Pick your poison.

    Alas - in the last 5 years battery charger threads have erupted like oil threads or tire threads. Most folks like what they bought

    I have at least 5 different brand/types of chargers for motorcycles. Tender. Tender Junior, Optimate, Schumacher, etc. I keep at least 6 bikes on chargers for parking/storage most of the time. I go out - start the bikes, ride away, and smile. Some are cheap. Some are not. Read the favorites with a grain of salt.
    Paul ... this is a great response! Totally agree. My poison for years has been the BWM Tender similar to the Battery Tender plugged into a battery pigtail. Have also used regular Battery Tenders all without fail. Never had a bike fail to fire up. But like oil ... they all work just pick your poison.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Similar Threads

  1. Use BMW gel battery charger with an AGM battery?
    By dbrick in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 03:24 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM
  3. Battery Tender/New Battery
    By benandnick333 in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 02:31 AM
  4. Removing a Battery from the Battery Box R75/6
    By b25bsaboy in forum Airheads
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM
  5. Battery Tender Junior for Gel Battery
    By stevenjmerrill in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •