• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav V Update - BMW Dealers

alegerlotz

I updated my Nav V unit to the latest software a few days ago.

Today I was headed to the closest BMW Motorrad dealer for my 6K service, so I figured instead of typing in the address, I'd just use the BMW Dealer shortcut on the Nav system. The dealer doesn't show up (its about a year old) but the one in my city that closed about 11 months ago is still there.

Apparently the software updates only deal with the Map, not the rest of the info. Fine, I know where the dealers are near me, but what about if you're on a trip and break down in the middle of nowhere. Why isn't this device, which was not cheap, updated on a regular basis to be accurate?

The guy at the dealer said that the list of dealers is baked into the GPS when its imaged but that there's a way to update it which it involves downloading something from either garmin or bmw, uploading it to the device through a computer and then loading it on the GPS through a DOS prompt.

Has anyone done this procedure? No, I haven't looked it up because I want to whine about it. ;)

Oh, and BTW, even though I told them not to reset my tire pressure (and it was written on the service order) my tires are low and I get to spend 10 minutes tomorrow screwing around with the compressor and resetting them. So much for reading the service order!

Yes, you can update the BMW dealer database on your Nav V. I'm going by memory, so you'll have to fill in a few of the gaps. First off, go to BMW Motorrad USA's website, and navigate to: Gear and Parts--Navigation and Comms--Nav VI--Downloads--Dealer Database. Download that ZIP file to your computer. Unzip it to find the dealer database POI file (I believe it's a ".GPI" file. Then, connect your Nav V to your computer. Once it's recognized, navigate to the POI folder and replace the appropriate file with the newer version of that file you downloaded from BMW's website. Don't keep the old, and new files on the GPS. You have to remove the old file, and replace it with the new one.

I see on BMW's website that they only list the Nav VI, not the Nav V. That said, everything should work the same way. However, when you "remove" the old file from your GPS's POI folder, I wouldn't delete it. I'd simply move it somewhere on your computer where you can find it again, if needs be.

I've done this on my Mac, but not on a PC. I'm sure there's absolutely nothing that involves a DOS prompt. What year is this, anyway? :)

Yes, you can update the BMW dealer database on your Nav V. I'm going by memory, so you'll have to fill in a few of the gaps. First off, go to BMW Motorrad USA's website, and navigate to: Gear and Parts--Navigation and Comms--Nav VI--Downloads--Dealer Database. Download that ZIP file to your computer. Unzip it to find the dealer database POI file (I believe it's a ".GPI" file. Then, connect your Nav V to your computer. Once it's recognized, navigate to the POI folder and replace the appropriate file with the newer version of that file you downloaded from BMW's website. Don't keep the old, and new files on the GPS. You have to remove the old file, and replace it with the new one.

I see on BMW's website that they only list the Nav VI, not the Nav V. That said, everything should work the same way. However, when you "remove" the old file from your GPS's POI folder, I wouldn't delete it. I'd simply move it somewhere on your computer where you can find it again, if needs be.

I've done this on my Mac, but not on a PC. I'm sure there's absolutely nothing that involves a DOS prompt. What year is this, anyway? :)

When I tried this a couple years ago the list on the BMW website was very old and I ended up downloading a list from the POI Factory and loading it to my Nav V as a Custom POI.
I access the list on my Nav by going to POI not the BMW Icon on the Nav.
Here's the link for POI Factory http://www.poi-factory.com/
You will also need Garmin POI Loader on your computer.

There used to be a member here who would provide a updated list but when I did a search to find the thread, the last list he provided was 2015.

Last edited:

On the BMWLT forum (where I also posted) someone provided a link to the BMW Motorrad International web site and it had a download for the Nav V and the Nav VI. The files are identical, so it looks like the .gpi files are in the same format for both units.

Thanks for the info, I'll update the my unit.

Link to the download page: BMW Motorrad International Dealer database downloads

The file is dating back to 2015. The one for the Nav VI is of a latter date.

Will this place the dealer list in the location that's accessed by pressing the BMW icon?
Looking at the instructions it appears to place the list in the Custom POI location.

I just updated my Custom POI list to a file that was updated July 2017.
For now I'll stick with that list.

Will this place the dealer list in the location that's accessed by pressing the BMW icon?
Looking at the instructions it appears to place the list in the Custom POI location.

I just updated my Custom POI list to a file that was updated July 2017.
For now I'll stick with that list.

Yes, it's the April '17 dealer list. I just installed it and my local dealer now appears.
All fuel stations and other POIs are still on my GPS.
I also have a custom POI file and it too still works.

Yes, it's the April '17 dealer list. I just installed it and my local dealer now appears.
All fuel stations and other POIs are still on my GPS.
I also have a custom POI file and it too still works.

Thanks
I updated the list accessed by the BMW Icon.
First I tried the list for the Nav V and it was not up to date.
Next I tried the Nav VI list and it's newer than what I had.

Here's the link to the Nav-VI POI download page: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/equipment/navigation_2016/navigator_vi/navigator_vi_downloads.html&prm_action=&notrack=1

This link should be used whether you have a Nav-IV, Nav-V or Nav-VI. As Lee found out BMW Motorrad, for some unknown reason, don't update the Nav-IV or Nav-V POI files. As all three Nav units can use the Nav-VI files (just a GPI file) it makes sense to use that source.

I've used this in the past but forgot to bookmark it. Unfortunately, because of the somewhat archaic and convoluted way BMW have always handled their websites, it can't be linked to by simply bookmarking where you navigate to, you have to open each link in a new tab.

This leads me to another issue for BMWMOA to put in front of BMW International / Garmin.
AFAIK, Garmin has the ability to have the Motorrad Dealer POI added to any "software/map" update done via Garmin Express. Shouldn't we be requesting that this be an automatic and constant thing?

This should be simply based on Garmin's release of 3 Map updates per year (I think):
  1. BMW Motorrad International sends Garmin a POI file 3 times a year with pertinent current Motorrad Dealer info, the one they place on their website, while continuing to maintain it on their website for non-Nav-xx owners.
  2. Garmin bundles that POI into the software/map update for Nav-xx
  3. Nav-xx owners automatically get updates for what was loaded initially from the factory

Here's the link to the Nav-VI POI download page: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/equipment/navigation_2016/navigator_vi/navigator_vi_downloads.html&prm_action=&notrack=1

This link should be used whether you have a Nav-IV, Nav-V or Nav-VI. As Lee found out BMW Motorrad, for some unknown reason, don't update the Nav-IV or Nav-V POI files. As all three Nav units can use the Nav-VI files (just a GPI file) it makes sense to use that source.

I've used this in the past but forgot to bookmark it. Unfortunately, because of the somewhat archaic and convoluted way BMW have always handled their websites, it can't be linked to by simply bookmarking where you navigate to, you have to open each link in a new tab.

This leads me to another issue for BMWMOA to put in front of BMW International / Garmin.
AFAIK, Garmin has the ability to have the Motorrad Dealer POI added to any "software/map" update done via Garmin Express. Shouldn't we be requesting that this be an automatic and constant thing?

This should be simply based on Garmin's release of 3 Map updates per year (I think):
  1. BMW Motorrad International sends Garmin a POI file 3 times a year with pertinent current Motorrad Dealer info, the one they place on their website, while continuing to maintain it on their website for non-Nav-xx owners.
  2. Garmin bundles that POI into the software/map update for Nav-xx
  3. Nav-xx owners automatically get updates for what was loaded initially from the factory

That makes too much sense. They will never do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This leads me to another issue for BMWUSA to put in front of BMW International / Garmin.

Sure would be nice if it worked that way.

Back