Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bike on Side Stand - Which Way Do You Turn the Wheel?

I thought thieves just picked up bike, threw it on trailer, bye, bye?

I thought thieves only stole Harleys
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R1100GS,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    I thought thieves just picked up bike, threw it on trailer, bye, bye?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    I thought thieves only stole Harleys
    Some do. Some don't.

If there is a demand for the parts, they will steal it.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

As common sense should tell us, motorcycle thieves, like any kind of criminal, have varying degrees preparedness. Some are opportunists, and some have very high levels of sophistication. I've stopped thieves who have happened upon parked motorcycles where the owner left his key in the ignition. Before the helmet law, all that these types needed was the ability to show up and know how to ride. Nowadays, where helmet laws exist, those types just need a helmet (unless the cyclist has left his on the bike).

I was involved in the arrest of a m/c theft ring that had a box truck, complete with rails, wheel chocks, and tie downs, a follow van with "muscle," tools, including cutting torches, a generator, a compressor, and pneumatic tools, and a "lure car," who's purpose was to commit traffic violations to draw officers' attention away from the box truck, or in the extreme, to interfere with arrests and/or rescue their crime partners.

A disc lock won't stop the second group of thieves that I mentioned, nothing will. But it sure eliminates the first kind, and they're much more common. Add a chain that's attached to something secure and you've stopped just about all thieves. When locks fail, insurance kicks in. Get the best you can afford.

Thinking that where one lives is a "safe area" and therefore you don't have to lock up your bike or similarly, lock the doors of your home, is, as I alluded to, denial. No doubt we'll hear from some of the gamblers who will say, "I've lived here for 50 years and I've never ..."

I think the real gamblers are those that live in one of our major metro areas. I'm not in denial about the risks associated with living here, but we certainly don't have gangs using three vehicles to steal motorcycles.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdood View Post
    Add a chain that's attached to something secure and you've stopped just about all thieves.
    Cordless angle grinder.

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Cordless angle grinder.

Or bolt cutters on the lock. Quicker and quieter.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by zimmermanj View Post
    Just curious. In my 25+ years of riding I've parked every bike I've owned the same way - I place it on the side stand and I turn the wheel left so the fork can be locked. Yet I've seen many people turn the front wheel to the right when parked on the side stand (where I assume the fork lock does not work - admittedly I never tried to see if it does, though). For those who park with the wheel turned to the right, is there a reason you do this and forego the security of locking the fork? More stability, easier to dismount/mount, habit? Thanks!!
    MSF taught me to mount the bike from the right (high) side , when on side stand. bars to left leave more room for legs and easier to hang hat on right bar end. b

Quote Originally Posted by bp@sr9 View Post
    MSF taught me to mount the bike from the right (high) side , when on side stand. bars to left leave more room for legs and easier to hang hat on right bar end. b
    I've taken more than one MSF course and was never told to mount the bike from the right. When and where did you take the course that taught this? Any Rider Coaches care to comment?

I have observed a Motor Officer mount from the right. Greenwald?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I think the real gamblers are those that live in one of our major metro areas.
    "You pays your money and you takes your chances." Having lived in both kinds of areas over the years, I've made my choice. For me, the benefits faaaaaar outweigh the disadvantages.

I'm not in denial about the risks associated with living here,
    Of course you are, as the facts will soon show.

but we certainly don't have gangs using three vehicles to steal motorcycles.
    ROFLMFAO. The gang we arrested, had stolen motorcycles in EVERY STATE except Alaska and Hawaii. See how "denial" works?!

Earlier I wrote,
    ... Add a chain that's attached to something secure and you've stopped just about all thieves. [Emphasis is added]

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Cordless angle grinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Or bolt cutters on the lock. Quicker and quieter.
    It's about the numbers folks. As I said. "... just about all thieves." MOST motorcycle thieves carry NEITHER, angle grinders nor bolt cutters. It's mostly about making your bike less attractive to thieves. If you make them spend five minutes to take the bike, MOST of them will just go elsewhere. If there are two identical motorcycles parked side by side and one of them does not even have its forks locked, while the other has the forks locked and a heavy duty chain and lock attaching it to a fixed post, and a disc lock that makes a loud noise, which one do you think is more likely to be the target? It's rare that motorcycle thieves target specific makes or models, but of course it does occur. If that's the case, nothing can prevent the theft. BUT AS I SAID, "it's rare."

If someone wants what you have, they'll take it. I had a friend who had a gold plated high end bicycle. Thieves targeted him, but he took the bike indoors with him everywhere he went, at work, at restaurants, and at home. He never left it unattended. They followed him for several months and finally one day when he was riding it, they ran him off the road and took it. You can't make something impossible to steal, just more difficult in the hopes that they'll go looking for an easier target. AGAIN, that's when insurance kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I've taken more than one MSF course and was never told to mount the bike from the right. When and where did you take the course that taught this? Any Rider Coaches care to comment?

Not Greenwald, but generally that's the training. It has them dismounting so they're facing traffic, rather than with their backs to it. Most of the retired motor officers that I ride with don't do it, only one does and he rides a very short bike. The others have told me that they also didn't do it when they worked, their legs were too short. "Some do, some don't."

I was in the Army. So everything is to the left.

"You're mother was home and you left!"

"You're right!"

"You're brother was home and you left!"

"You're right!"

"You're column is turned to yer left!"

"You're right!"

"You really farked up when you left."

"You're right!"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

PM coming your way.
    Last edited by greenwald; 01-13-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track