• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike on Side Stand - Which Way Do You Turn the Wheel?

Just curious. In my 25+ years of riding I've parked every bike I've owned the same way - I place it on the side stand and I turn the wheel left so the fork can be locked. Yet I've seen many people turn the front wheel to the right when parked on the side stand (where I assume the fork lock does not work - admittedly I never tried to see if it does, though). For those who park with the wheel turned to the right, is there a reason you do this and forego the security of locking the fork? More stability, easier to dismount/mount, habit? Thanks!!

I cannot recall ever locking the steering. Maybe long ago and lost in time, but not that I can recall. I tend to turn the wheel to the right. Seems more stable to me.

I believe MSF teaches left.

Depends

The 3 BMWs I have owned could be locked left or right. I generally put my current R1200RT on the center stand and when parking overnight in a strange place turn the wheel in the direction that will make stealing it (moving it) more difficult - like pointed into a curb to the right.

Since the road contact of the tire is behind the projection of the steering/forks (this is the trail dimension), it would seem to me that if the bars are turned to the left, the point of rubber contact moves slightly out to the right, thus creating more distance to the side stand contact point. This should equate to more stability. If the bars are turned to the right, that rubber contact moves towards the side stand contact, less distance, and thus less stable.

I never use it but the manual shows you can lock the bars when turned left or right on a R1200RS and K1300S.

The following is copied from the K1300S manual.

Locking handlebars
If the motorcycle is on the
side stand, the surface
of the ground will determine
whether it is better to turn the
handlebars to the left or right.
However, the motorcycle is more
stable on a level surface with the
handlebars turned to the left than
with the handlebars turned to the
right.
On level ground, always turn the
handlebars to the left to set the
steering lock.

IIRC the BMW Performance School in SC teaches turning the bars to the right on level ground. They termed it "open and inviting"; i.e. easier to grab the right bar and mount the mc from the left side.

Since the road contact of the tire is behind the projection of the steering/forks (this is the trail dimension), it would seem to me that if the bars are turned to the left, the point of rubber contact moves slightly out to the right, thus creating more distance to the side stand contact point. This should equate to more stability. If the bars are turned to the right, that rubber contact moves towards the side stand contact, less distance, and thus less stable.

True - and this can be used to obtain more lean (left) or less lean (right).

Interesting responses already! My owners manual says turn the handlebars left to lock the fork (this is a BMW F800GT) - it offers no option to lock the fork by turning the wheel to the right but you know I will try it later. I like the science 20774 provides, it makes sense, but I am going to have to try the BMW Performance School suggestion that 129654 provided to see if it does make a difference when mounting the bike. And I envy AKBeemer who lives someplace where he sees no need to lock the steering!

So I just braved the falling debris from the roofers who are rebuilding the roof on my condo building to get to the garage and try a few things based on the great responses. I can definitely say the BMW F800GT fork can only be locked by turning the wheel to the left. I also observed that the science 20774 noted is backed up by reality - the bike does not lean over as far with the wheel turned to the right as it does to the left. Whether it's more stable as a result is open to argument since stability seems more affected by the skinny, flexible side stand of the F800GT (I've never before seen a side stand that literally flexes when the weight is on it - and it's the side stand shaft itself that flexes, not the mounting). But if "leaned a bit more and more separation between the side stand and wheel contact point" means "more stable" then it would appear the science is correct. As for mounting the bike, I noted it sure felt funny when mounting the bike with the wheel turned to the right, but that's just a case of it being different from my 25 years of practice. But the less lean was noticeable when climbing on, though it wasn't an earth-shattering difference. I'd assume if you were very short of inseam and right on the verge of the bike being too tall for you it might make a difference.

Thanks for the great responses so far!!

And I envy AKBeemer who lives someplace where he sees no need to lock the steering!

Well, in my lifetime living in North Dakota, Iowa, Kansas and Texas; and traveling for prolonged summer periods (in all 50 states and Canadian Provinces reachable by road) I have never locked the forks on my bikes except once by accident.

Well, in my lifetime living in North Dakota, Iowa, Kansas and Texas; and traveling for prolonged summer periods (in all 50 states and Canadian Provinces reachable by road) I have never locked the forks on my bikes except once by accident.

Same here. I don't remember ever using a fork lock since I started riding in 1977.

A very interesting thread! Never thought about it, as I always turn the bars to the right.
Is just a force of habit, since my first bikes were with a steering lock that required the
bars to be turned to the right. And yes, it is also easier to mount the bike, since am a
shorter person. But an excellent point by Kurt 2o774 that by turning left creates a larger
triangle and the bike is more stable. I don't think it maters much, but sure will keep in
mind next time will board a ferry and tie my bike down! As far as locking the forks on
modern bikes is nothing but and extra effort by the owner. When the bike is on the list,
it is gone!

I've never locked mine on any bike I have ever owned. Seems a waste of time to me & extra work. Also, there is a part of me that is afraid I won't be able to get it unlocked :bluduh. I am glad I don't live in a place where it is even needed.:)

So I just braved the falling debris from the roofers who are rebuilding the roof on my condo building to get to the garage and try a few things based on the great responses. I can definitely say the BMW F800GT fork can only be locked by turning the wheel to the left. I also observed that the science 20774 noted is backed up by reality - the bike does not lean over as far with the wheel turned to the right as it does to the left. Whether it's more stable as a result is open to argument since stability seems more affected by the skinny, flexible side stand of the F800GT (I've never before seen a side stand that literally flexes when the weight is on it - and it's the side stand shaft itself that flexes, not the mounting). But if "leaned a bit more and more separation between the side stand and wheel contact point" means "more stable" then it would appear the science is correct. As for mounting the bike, I noted it sure felt funny when mounting the bike with the wheel turned to the right, but that's just a case of it being different from my 25 years of practice. But the less lean was noticeable when climbing on, though it wasn't an earth-shattering difference. I'd assume if you were very short of inseam and right on the verge of the bike being too tall for you it might make a difference.

Thanks for the great responses so far!!

You call it science.... I call it Voodoo. :evil

Effective and safer than a disc lock........IMO.
OM

Many years ago I thought so . However, one day I noticed a screw driver was driven thru the ignition.
The fork lock was gone. Key was still usable, so just thought the thief's gave up , as their method didn't work.
Two days later I realized that I was wrong. As far as disc locks...they work with heavy bikes and amateurs!

Many years ago I thought so . However, one day I noticed a screw driver was driven thru the ignition.
The fork lock was gone. Key was still usable, so just thought the thief's gave up , as their method didn't work.
Two days later I realized that I was wrong. As far as disc locks...they work with heavy bikes and amateurs!

If you are using a fork lock, chances are it’s disengaged before you ride off. A bit different if you ride off with a disc lock in place.
OM

If you are using a fork lock, chances are it’s disengaged before you ride off. A bit different if you ride off with a disc lock in place.
OM
That is so true! However, a motion activated alarm disc lock will remind you that it is activated. Yes, if batteries are still good..
As I mentioned, only thing to keep the bike in your possession is common sense!

Back