• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike on Side Stand - Which Way Do You Turn the Wheel?

I think the real gamblers are those that live in one of our major metro areas.

"You pays your money and you takes your chances." Having lived in both kinds of areas over the years, I've made my choice. For me, the benefits faaaaaar outweigh the disadvantages.

I'm not in denial about the risks associated with living here,

Of course you are, as the facts will soon show.

but we certainly don't have gangs using three vehicles to steal motorcycles.

ROFLMFAO. The gang we arrested, had stolen motorcycles in EVERY STATE except Alaska and Hawaii. See how "denial" works?!

Earlier I wrote,
... Add a chain that's attached to something secure and you've stopped just about all thieves. [Emphasis is added]

Cordless angle grinder.

Or bolt cutters on the lock. Quicker and quieter.

It's about the numbers folks. As I said. "... just about all thieves." MOST motorcycle thieves carry NEITHER, angle grinders nor bolt cutters. It's mostly about making your bike less attractive to thieves. If you make them spend five minutes to take the bike, MOST of them will just go elsewhere. If there are two identical motorcycles parked side by side and one of them does not even have its forks locked, while the other has the forks locked and a heavy duty chain and lock attaching it to a fixed post, and a disc lock that makes a loud noise, which one do you think is more likely to be the target? It's rare that motorcycle thieves target specific makes or models, but of course it does occur. If that's the case, nothing can prevent the theft. BUT AS I SAID, "it's rare."

If someone wants what you have, they'll take it. I had a friend who had a gold plated high end bicycle. Thieves targeted him, but he took the bike indoors with him everywhere he went, at work, at restaurants, and at home. He never left it unattended. They followed him for several months and finally one day when he was riding it, they ran him off the road and took it. You can't make something impossible to steal, just more difficult in the hopes that they'll go looking for an easier target. AGAIN, that's when insurance kicks in.

I've taken more than one MSF course and was never told to mount the bike from the right. When and where did you take the course that taught this? Any Rider Coaches care to comment?

I have observed a Motor Officer mount from the right. Greenwald?

Not Greenwald, but generally that's the training. It has them dismounting so they're facing traffic, rather than with their backs to it. Most of the retired motor officers that I ride with don't do it, only one does and he rides a very short bike. The others have told me that they also didn't do it when they worked, their legs were too short. "Some do, some don't."

I was in the Army. So everything is to the left.

"You're mother was home and you left!"

"You're right!"

"You're brother was home and you left!"

"You're right!"

"You're column is turned to yer left!"

"You're right!"

"You really farked up when you left."

"You're right!"

I've taken more than one MSF course and was never told to mount the bike from the right. When and where did you take the course that taught this? Any Rider Coaches care to comment?

PM coming your way.

Last edited:

It was an experienced rider course (MSF), conducted on the tarmac in Everret, Wa. I think the coach was a LEO. His concept was that should there be a mishap upon mounting/dismounting (on side stand) all the ,injurious action would be on the left side. Makes sense to me--however i'm not 100% compliant ;) b

Just seems awkward to me to get on a motorcycle from the right. I always get on a horse from the left, so why not the bike? If the bike was parked with the left side really close to a deep ditch, etc., then I would get on from the right :laugh.

MSF taught me to mount the bike from the right (high) side , when on side stand. bars to left leave more room for legs and easier to hang hat on right bar end. :) b
Am not sure, but left handed guys can comment on this:is it easier to mount from the right for you? I find that to be rather difficult, and only reason I do that is when the bike is parked right against a wall. Am sure there are, but I don't remember bikes to have side stand on the right side. Maybe some Harleys?
Interesting thread, nice to read points of view, but mine is that no person in his right mind would suggest to mount the bike one way or another, if it is not comfortable for you! And if one is worried about the slight difference for turning the bars right, just cut a 1/4" of the side stand! JMHO

Last edited:
Getting off on the right seems like it would be more difficult. You have to reach farther out to the right to find footing in order to pivot up and away from the bike. Plus, getting off on the left side, your left leg is already closer to the ground. :dunno

Motor officer school teaches on/off on the right side. Works perfect on a Road King, and with the handlebars full left it opens up the bike so it is easy to get on and off.

Back