• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'17 GS - Edgy at Speed

When I have pulled wheels to check balance and they need weights opposite the current set, I either start all over or rotate the tire 180°.
A few rims that still require a lot of weight will have me balance rim only and mark those weights to be left in place in future. Have found that on cast rims more than spoked.

Had a bud with K1300GT who had a tire replaced out on the road by non BMW shop. The axle was overtorqued and the bearings were very notchy after returning from a multi state trip.

I would, after trying to re-balance, start thinking it's a tire issue and try another.

IMHO Henzilla has it right—it’s time to have the tire dismounted for inspection of both tire and wheel, then remounted in a different orientation and rebalanced. Better yet, try a new tire. If your rim isn’t bent you should not be seeing that much vertical tramp on a properly mounted and seated tire. Some shops won’t take the time to check that, and they end up using balance weights to chase a mounting/concentricity problem.

Best,
DG

Fear of the unknown...?

...well, I've never dealt with a dealer on anything other than recalls on these modern bikes.
After just taking my Toyota Tundra to the dealer to check the window switch during an 80K service and getting charged $130 to have them tell me there is nothing wrong with it, I'm a little gun shy.
So I guess I I'm not clear on how this modern dealership thing works.

My dealer salesman told me via e-mail to just stop by and have 'talk to the service manager'. Sounds easy enough. But with a vibration or wheel issue it seems like a crap shoot.
At this point, I'm wondering if I should have just bought a bike with the cast wheels.

We did a 250 mile loop yesterday and I swapped bikes with my buddy who rides a 2015 R1200RT. That bike will run up to 110 with ease and smooth as silk, and no drama.
My GS starts getting twitchy and disturbed at anything much over 80mph, but it's such a different animal, and the issue seems almost subjective that I wonder if I have a leg to stand on.
Only way I could compare would to ride an identical GS.
Then I'm also thinking about the tire and wheel warranty the salesperson tried to talk me into (not).

Noted, I've tried all the driving and suspension modes, tire pressures, bags/no bags, etc.

An 1/8" runout top to bottom is unacceptable in my opinion. Take it back to the dealer.

Updater - The Good and The Bad.

Hard to believe it, but since I live a good 40 miles away from the dealer, and the service/tech manager suggested that he come on up to my house on Sunday so that we could swap GS's and figure out what's going on instead of me spending a day sitting at, or leaving the bike at the dealer.
What a guy, Justin spent 3 1/2 hours swapping wheels, balancing and test riding our bikes. He has a 2016 Adventure with 20K miles that shows he is a true off-roader.

1) We rode, swapped bikes for comparison.
The Adventure with Shinko 705's was fast and smooth, and felt quicker turning and more panted than my bike...wow, I was impressed.
Justine admitted he thought my bike wasn't as smooth as he would like it to be.

2) He pulled my front wheel and pulled all the weights and re-balanced it, then put his ADV wheel on my bike and my front on his.
While spinning the wheel on the bike I could see it was not completely true, then we sun his wheel and it looked about the same, a bit untrue. Justin explained that a certain amount id acceptable and normal on the wired wheels...
We rode and swapped back and forth to compare. Note I took Justin up one of my favorite canyons that has some good straights and wicked the bikes up to 95.

Riding the Adventure with my wheel felt like my bike, iffy and nervous. That high confidence I had riding his bike disappered. Really felt sketchy. Granted we had two different tires on the bikes.
However, riding my GS with his front wheel and the Shinko felt way better, turned in better, and the 'bumpity' felt nil. Pretty much gone.

3) Then swapped the front wheels back and rode/swapped bikes a third time.
My bike feels quite a bit better than it did, but it's not rock solid smooth, not as easy going as the Adventure with the 80/20 cheap Shinko's (with 5K on them!).

General prognosis per Justin is that the Metzeler Next on my bike may have a slight carcass flaw, and the bad factory balance, and then my counter balancing accentuated the problem even more.
He suggested higher pressure on the Next might help a bit.
After he left I bumped up the pressure and went for a 50 miles test. Overall the GS feels better, but the experience I had riding Justin's Adventure still sticks in my mind.
Though I do know the Adventure has a steeper rake and the Shinko's have a steeper profile that makes them fall in easier, the overall easy handling was very impressive.

That said, BMW does not warranty the tires, that's a manufacturer warranty issue. So I would get to jump through those hoops...
Seems like a pretty sh#tty that there wouldn't be consideration for a bike with2400 miles on it when it comes to the tires.

I will revisit this with Justin on Tuesday and pick his brain. My feeling is the cost of buying a tire from the dealer plus mounting (if I have to pay) is going to outweigh my usual M.O.
Buying a new set of tires online and taking the wheels in and having my local shop mount them.

I'll re-think my tire choice once these skins wear out in about 2K, maybe sooner ;)...

IMG_8971-X2.jpg

IMG_8972-X2.jpg

After that kind of service I would be inclined to return the favor and buy my tire from that dealership. That is how they stay in business to provide that kind of service.

Great service! Repaying that service could build a lifetime relationship with your local dealer which is priceless. I would remove any tire that I did not trust with that little mileage remaining. The last thing I want to do is wonder about my tires while riding a twisty mountain canyon road. YMMV

After that kind of service I would be inclined to return the favor and buy my tire from that dealership. That is how they stay in business to provide that kind of service.

I understand your sentiment P but the issue is with the tire, not the dealer. Of course I'd be up for buying the tire from the dealer, but there should be some consideration for a new $22K vehicle in my book.
I'll do what I consider viable and honorable, but I won't just lay down on the issue.
The dealer will get my service needs as needed because they (Justin) has gone above and beyond. That thanks to Justin, who by the way, just did it because he's an good and enthusiastic young man who happens to be living close to where I do.

littlebriar

Wow, what great service. Who was the dealer. I'd like to visit them.

I prefer not to webi-cize the exact dealer as not to create any waves for anyone involved with such dealer or technician.
PM me if you want to know who. ;) Suffice to say, it's a SoCal dealer.

Great service! Repaying that service could build a lifetime relationship with your local dealer which is priceless. I would remove any tire that I did not trust with that little mileage remaining. The last thing I want to do is wonder about my tires while riding a twisty mountain canyon road. YMMV

Good input and agreed, but did I mention the bike has under 2500 miles on it since this weekend?...

Suffice to say, it's a SoCal dealer.

Figured it out. I'm a bit south of there so I don't think I'll make it up any time soon. But would still love to check them out because of the service. However, I have found many Motorrad dealers have exceptional service. Especially if you're on the road and need timely assistance.

The salesman told me to just stop by and they'd look at it, but that's not real according to Justin.
He told me because of the weather the service department is busier than ever right at the moment. They're swamped.
70-90 degrees for the next 7-10 days in SoCal!
Good for now, but could be another blistering and dry summer...:hungover

EXACTLY! You may save a few $$ buying on line but the relationship and dealer support is priceless!

Figured it out. I'm a bit south of there so I don't think I'll make it up any time soon. But would still love to check them out because of the service. However, I have found many Motorrad dealers have exceptional service. Especially if you're on the road and need timely assistance.

Since BMW Motorrad became so boutiqueified, I haven't had much experience with dealer service. I bought my last new BMW (R1100S) in 2001 from RPM Cycles (previously Reg Pridmore BMW).
Prior to that if I needed something done by a dealer I'd go to Ozzie's in Chico, Johnny's in Bakersfield (long gone), or RPM in Ventura (no longer a BMW dealer), and occasionally West Valley Cycles in Winnetka, maybe Brown's once...the old school shops.
Suffice to say I've pretty much have done all my maintenance myself up til now.

Highly informed and shiny dealers don't necessarily equate to good work or service.
I had a particularly inadequate service experience with (now defunct) Mamba BMW over a simple brake fluid leak, but I won't digress.

Hopefully I've found a good shop now...:)

Since BMW Motorrad became so boutiqueified, I haven't had much experience with dealer service. I bought my last new BMW (R1100S) in 2001 from RPM Cycles (previously Reg Pridmore BMW).
Prior to that if I needed something done by a dealer I'd go to Ozzie's in Chico, Johnny's in Bakersfield (long gone), or RPM in Ventura (no longer a BMW dealer), and occasionally West Valley Cycles in Winnetka, maybe Brown's once...the old school shops.
Suffice to say I've pretty much have done all my maintenance myself up til now.

Highly informed and shiny dealers don't necessarily equate to good work or service.
I had a particularly inadequate service experience with (now defunct) Mamba BMW over a simple brake fluid leak, but I won't digress.

Hopefully I've found a good shop now...:)

I will be the contrarian again, I guess. Many years of good vibes, followed by one or more bad experiences at a shop no longer open does not make today's dealerships, as a group, bad. Yes, indeed some 5-line multi-brand shops do slight BMW but that does not make the vast number of BMW dealerships bad. I too do most of my own work but still support "my dealership - Engles in Kansas City" and several other dealers. I find most of the dealers I visit to be quality places. YMMV

....no, not contrarian at all. There is no argument here P. I am happy for you all that have a good shop you can depend on.
I'm fully admitting, I'm looking for a local shop I can count on. And one that's not out to sell me, like a Tesla dealer or other boutique brand.
But maybe that's just a SoCal thing... :wow

If it was closer, I'd still be going to Ozzie's BMW where I bought the first BMW, but it's a good trek from where I live, though I have done it just to have a trusted wrench work on my bike, in lieu of a 'BMW Technician' locally.
No, they're not all bad...evidently.

New Skins

So,
Pretty much put all this issue down to the NEXTies showing more wear as it goes.
IMG_9065-S.jpg

At 3K the rear is down to the wear bars, the front is showing some scalloping, so I'm tossing these for a new set this weekend.
I've been reading loads of info on the interwebs on what to try.

Last weekend I did a couple hundred miles, and actually did some of my favorite county maintained dirt roads through the desert.
Not sure how much it was the LCGS or the NEXT or a combo of both but the bike handle admirably, stable and swift across desert washboard dirt.
...Inspiring me to do more....

I pretty much ride 90-95% canyons and highway at a brisk pace. I like to scrub off speed in the turns, thus revealing front-end chatter from the scalloped NEXT skins.
Really thought about PR4s or the new Road 5. But dirt calls so I'm getting something a bit more 80/20.
I'll be curious how they work out, but everyone says the work very well for light dirt and admirably in the canyons.

No recent tire threads here so I'll ask for R12GSW owners for their experience here...
Pirelli Rally STR

pirelli_tire_scorp_rally_str_750x750.jpg

Back