• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How about that weather?

chiba

hack'd
Can't believe the temps & snowfall totals up & down the east coast. Where I live in VA we got about 4 inches of snow - less of it the further from the coast you live - and the sub-freezing temps kept it hanging around all weekend. In a rare display of foresight, I cleaned out my shed and got my bike in out of the weather before the snow actually fell. Hoping this coming week of warmer temps & rain will wash all the crap off the road and I can break my bike out next weekend.

Anyway, hope everybody is safe & warm, especially in those places that rarely get any snow. It wreaks havoc in a lot of places!

I lived in Virgina Beach in my youth and was stationed in Hampton while in the Army. The mere mention of snow in a weather forcast resulted in closures, panic and hysteria. Four inches of snow must be viewed as the End Times befalling Richmond.

The mere mention of snow in a weather forcast resulted in closures, panic and hysteria. QUOTE]

It is absolutely insane here in Mississippi if there is a hint of snow. Long lines at the grocery store, which is quickly sold out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. However, in all fairness, we are just not prepared for any accumulation of ice or snow.The power lines quickly freeze and NO ONE( including moi) know how to drive in either. Absolutely crazy when it happens. We are much more prepared for a tornado destroying everything we own, than a little ice & snow :D.

IMG_20180108_125942.jpgIMG_20180108_125930.jpg

The views from our driveway. We had a bit of snow lately. Four snow snow tires, traction control and all wheel drive comes in handy in southern Ontario. :thumb

Our neighbours north of us get much more snow than this. :laugh

Crazy

Temptures climbed above freezing Sunday and we had a light rain but ground and hard surfaces so cold nice layer of ice. However January 10 or 11 temps forecast to be in mid 50's or low 60's, so first ride of 2018! Depending on what day I decide to work morning temperature 37 or 53 (forecast) ride 150 miles south work a few hours than bring work truck, trailer and bike home . Did reverse December 21 hauled stuff down looked at job rode bike back ( stopped at Amish food store for wife's xmas present do not think they had ever seen someone in a roadcrafter ). Crazy weather two 150 mile rides end of December and first of January 50 or 60 degree temperature with 3 weeks of not nice in between.

Crazy weather or not it is winter after all. Just didn't like to see the flooding though... We did get a bit of a cold spell down in S.Fl but compared to the rest of the nation it really wasn't much. Didn't see many motorcycles out when it was cold (40F for us) and people looked at me like I was crazy to be out riding... Little did they know about heated gear, grips and seats...:lol

More Crazy

Temptures climbed above freezing Sunday and we had a light rain but ground and hard surfaces so cold nice layer of ice. However January 10 or 11 temps forecast to be in mid 50's or low 60's, so first ride of 2018! Depending on what day I decide to work morning temperature 37 or 53 (forecast) ride 150 miles south work a few hours than bring work truck, trailer and bike home . Did reverse December 21 hauled stuff down looked at job rode bike back ( stopped at Amish food store for wife's xmas present do not think they had ever seen someone in a roadcrafter ). Crazy weather two 150 mile rides end of December and first of January 50 or 60 degree temperature with 3 weeks of not nice in between.

January 10 it was, temps 40F to 50F for ride, roads foggy, wet, salt covered. Than the stretch past the coal mine about 5 miles of coal slurry, than the 10% chance of rain translated to light mist for about 1/3 of ride. The 20 to 30 mph wind kept most of the salt water spray from passing trucks away ( those rubber squeegee things on the aerostich gloves work well ) . It was one of those days when the speed limit seemed plenty fast I had to go around corners like I was on a Harley, if I ever have to ride 150 miles on a snot covered road I now have some training IMG_1906.jpg
Made it to the Little Grassey Lake Fish Hatchery ( near Giant City State Park a nice riding area in southern Illinois)
IMG_1910.jpg

Gratuitous winter shot of Crab Orchard Lake
Sorry this Illinois stuff in mid south forum the weather is not the only thing crazy !
P.S. Still a great ride on January 10, 2018

Marion, Ar.

IMG_0537.jpg
We got about 2-3 inch snow dusting and the temps in the teens. Typical Yankee weather, just kidding.:)

The mere mention of snow in a weather forcast resulted in closures, panic and hysteria. QUOTE]

It is absolutely insane here in Mississippi if there is a hint of snow. Long lines at the grocery store, which is quickly sold out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. However, in all fairness, we are just not prepared for any accumulation of ice or snow.The power lines quickly freeze and NO ONE( including moi) know how to drive in either. Absolutely crazy when it happens. We are much more prepared for a tornado destroying everything we own, than a little ice & snow :D.

Wife and I lived in Mississippi, Hattiesburg, about 14 years ago, company I was working for built a few power plants. I rode my motorcycle most everyday to work. I used to laugh at the coonass' from south Louisiana, they found it hard to believe that someone wouldn't die of the cold. Temps in the mid 30's were the coldest we saw and only for a couple days, didn't even need electric gear at those temps. This Yankee loves the south ..... cant wait to live there again.

Yep, it's cold. 11 degF when I got up this am in B'ham, AL! Of course, all the schools in the state are closed, and the grocery stores were hit hard (as expected) yesterday.

We were 13° this morning, last time this cold was seven years ago. Rare here for sure and the slick icy patches have gotten our attention a few times on the stairs and decks . Didn't even try to leave property with iced over hill just outside the gate.
We missed the major ice issues Houston and San Antonio dealt with from non believing expert drivers.

We had another snap last week and my remote outhouse heater decided to quit overnight...no underpinning insulation because who needs that the other 362 days...result was a shattered pressure assisted toilet bowl:banghead. Always shut water off to that side of property...just didn't plan on two days under freezing and a busted heater.

supposed to be 80° Saturday

A few years ago we had three straight days with the highs in single digits or low teens. It became impossible to buy any 1/2" or 3/4" pipe fitting within 200 miles. Luckily I had a box full of stuff left over from my bunkhouse bathroom project. When it is 53 miles to the hardware store a person is inclined to buy a few extra things. :) It helped me with one broken pipe and helped out a couple of neighbors too.

Been a little foggy during the morning commutes with temps in the mid/upper 40's, but afternoon rides home have been nice -- low/mid 60's for the last couple days.

Back