Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How about that weather?

How about that weather?

Can't believe the temps & snowfall totals up & down the east coast. Where I live in VA we got about 4 inches of snow - less of it the further from the coast you live - and the sub-freezing temps kept it hanging around all weekend. In a rare display of foresight, I cleaned out my shed and got my bike in out of the weather before the snow actually fell. Hoping this coming week of warmer temps & rain will wash all the crap off the road and I can break my bike out next weekend.

Anyway, hope everybody is safe & warm, especially in those places that rarely get any snow. It wreaks havoc in a lot of places!
    --
    - '05 R1200GS - '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar - '07 KTM 990 Adventure -

It can be traced back to old airheads not having catalytic converters. A joke not political.

I lived in Virgina Beach in my youth and was stationed in Hampton while in the Army. The mere mention of snow in a weather forcast resulted in closures, panic and hysteria. Four inches of snow must be viewed as the End Times befalling Richmond.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

[QUOTE=akbeemer;1115292] The mere mention of snow in a weather forcast resulted in closures, panic and hysteria. QUOTE]

It is absolutely insane here in Mississippi if there is a hint of snow. Long lines at the grocery store, which is quickly sold out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. However, in all fairness, we are just not prepared for any accumulation of ice or snow.The power lines quickly freeze and NO ONE( including moi) know how to drive in either. Absolutely crazy when it happens. We are much more prepared for a tornado destroying everything we own, than a little ice & snow .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

RK Ryder
    IMG_20180108_125942.jpgIMG_20180108_125930.jpg

The views from our driveway. We had a bit of snow lately. Four snow snow tires, traction control and all wheel drive comes in handy in southern Ontario.

Our neighbours north of us get much more snow than this.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

Crazy

Temptures climbed above freezing Sunday and we had a light rain but ground and hard surfaces so cold nice layer of ice. However January 10 or 11 temps forecast to be in mid 50's or low 60's, so first ride of 2018! Depending on what day I decide to work morning temperature 37 or 53 (forecast) ride 150 miles south work a few hours than bring work truck, trailer and bike home . Did reverse December 21 hauled stuff down looked at job rode bike back ( stopped at Amish food store for wife's xmas present do not think they had ever seen someone in a roadcrafter ). Crazy weather two 150 mile rides end of December and first of January 50 or 60 degree temperature with 3 weeks of not nice in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    IMG_20180108_125942.jpgIMG_20180108_125930.jpg

The views from our driveway. We had a bit of snow lately. Four snow snow tires, traction control and all wheel drive comes in handy in southern Ontario.

Our neighbours north of us get much more snow than this.
    This is how you clear around a fire hydrant. Good job, you don't see that around here so much.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Crazy weather or not it is winter after all. Just didn't like to see the flooding though... We did get a bit of a cold spell down in S.Fl but compared to the rest of the nation it really wasn't much. Didn't see many motorcycles out when it was cold (40F for us) and people looked at me like I was crazy to be out riding... Little did they know about heated gear, grips and seats...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

More Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Temptures climbed above freezing Sunday and we had a light rain but ground and hard surfaces so cold nice layer of ice. However January 10 or 11 temps forecast to be in mid 50's or low 60's, so first ride of 2018! Depending on what day I decide to work morning temperature 37 or 53 (forecast) ride 150 miles south work a few hours than bring work truck, trailer and bike home . Did reverse December 21 hauled stuff down looked at job rode bike back ( stopped at Amish food store for wife's xmas present do not think they had ever seen someone in a roadcrafter ). Crazy weather two 150 mile rides end of December and first of January 50 or 60 degree temperature with 3 weeks of not nice in between.
    January 10 it was, temps 40F to 50F for ride, roads foggy, wet, salt covered. Than the stretch past the coal mine about 5 miles of coal slurry, than the 10% chance of rain translated to light mist for about 1/3 of ride. The 20 to 30 mph wind kept most of the salt water spray from passing trucks away ( those rubber squeegee things on the aerostich gloves work well ) . It was one of those days when the speed limit seemed plenty fast I had to go around corners like I was on a Harley, if I ever have to ride 150 miles on a snot covered road I now have some training IMG_1906.jpg
    Made it to the Little Grassey Lake Fish Hatchery ( near Giant City State Park a nice riding area in southern Illinois)
    IMG_1910.jpg

Gratuitous winter shot of Crab Orchard Lake
    Sorry this Illinois stuff in mid south forum the weather is not the only thing crazy !
    P.S. Still a great ride on January 10, 2018

Marion, Ar.

IMG_0537.jpg
    We got about 2-3 inch snow dusting and the temps in the teens. Typical Yankee weather, just kidding.

[QUOTE=shortythorne;1115296]
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The mere mention of snow in a weather forcast resulted in closures, panic and hysteria. QUOTE]

It is absolutely insane here in Mississippi if there is a hint of snow. Long lines at the grocery store, which is quickly sold out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. However, in all fairness, we are just not prepared for any accumulation of ice or snow.The power lines quickly freeze and NO ONE( including moi) know how to drive in either. Absolutely crazy when it happens. We are much more prepared for a tornado destroying everything we own, than a little ice & snow .
    Wife and I lived in Mississippi, Hattiesburg, about 14 years ago, company I was working for built a few power plants. I rode my motorcycle most everyday to work. I used to laugh at the coonass' from south Louisiana, they found it hard to believe that someone wouldn't die of the cold. Temps in the mid 30's were the coldest we saw and only for a couple days, didn't even need electric gear at those temps. This Yankee loves the south ..... cant wait to live there again.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

How about that weather?

It's cold out there! On the radio from the movie 'Ground Hog Day'

Yep, it's cold. 11 degF when I got up this am in B'ham, AL! Of course, all the schools in the state are closed, and the grocery stores were hit hard (as expected) yesterday.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Yep, it's cold. 11 degF when I got up this am in B'ham, AL! Of course, all the schools in the state are closed, and the grocery stores were hit hard (as expected) yesterday.
    Same here, except it was 5 deg. .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

How are the plumbing pipes holding out in the deepfreeze south?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/