• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT Muffler options?

dieselyoda

One season ago, my OE muffler went to muffler heaven.

The lack of the Cat gave me considerably better fuel economy and high speed performance but the sound was not what I wanted. I would sacrifice the economy and performance to get the quiet back.

An OE replacement is prohibitive given that the CDN dollar is virtually useless in the Trump age.

I tried a cheap Polish thing and then a will fit Japanese thing. I even made different baffles.

I want the quiet back. Any suggestions?

I have been looking at eBay and such but my concern is that an old muffler is still an old muffler.

Looks like you understand my complaint PG.

Is there anything close that I can count on not to rust from the inside out in a year or two? That's my dilemma. I buy this and with exchange and taxes, I will be very close to $400.00 CDN. If I did that every year for three years, at the fourth year, I could've bought an OE.

There must be an aftermarket that comes close to being as quiet as the OE?

A quick look shows the current exchange rate matching what it was in 2016... hmmmmm.

You want quiet and cheap... used OEM is the answer. Seems obvious.

Get the system hot once in a while and keep it clean... it will last. Even in Canada.

A quick look shows the current exchange rate matching what it was in 2016... hmmmmm.

You want quiet and cheap... used OEM is the answer. Seems obvious.

Get the system hot once in a while and keep it clean... it will last. Even in Canada.

^^^^^THIS^^^^, but not just once in a while—try for every ride. Short trips where engine, exhausts, and fluids do not reach full operating temps are hard on vehicle components. I doubt you will find any aftermarket pipes that are as quiet as OEM.

Best,
DG

That's my dilemma. I buy this and with exchange and taxes, I will be very close to $400.00 CDN.

I think your dilemma is an improperly functioning calculator. With exchange and taxes I make this around $188.00.

As well (and off topic), the CDN dollar took a dip when the Saudis decided to drop their pants on oil pricing.

Last edited:
That eBay muffler Paul pointed to looks like it's in pretty good shape. I have bought one item from the vendor (OZ-Cycle), no complaints.

As said already, no short trips. Get everything running at operating temperature. If not, water will condense in the muffler and rot it from the inside out.

I just looked at that one Paul linked on ebay.

I can land that in BC for $146us or $182cad - Shipping is cheap(think its a mistake)

With 19,xxx miles you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. If it were me I'd click my mouse.

I just looked at that one Paul linked on ebay.

I can land that in BC for $146us or $182cad - Shipping is cheap(think its a mistake)

With 19,xxx miles you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. If it were me I'd click my mouse.

I checked other offerings on e-bay for the muffler, this one is the best of the bunch. Low miles and clean.

I cut my old muffler open to see why I couldn't get a duplicate aftermarket. Pretty damn neat, it uses two into three, reverse flow over the cat, cans it back into a two then small baffle into one.

I bought Paul's suggestion.

I cut my old muffler open to see why I couldn't get a duplicate aftermarket. Pretty damn neat, it uses two into three, reverse flow over the cat, cans it back into a two then small baffle into one.

I bought Paul's suggestion.

I used to have a 96 1100RT, Euro model. This is what we got in Canada in 95 and 96 and they had no O2 sensor with a yellow cat code plug in the fusebox. The O2 sensor plug was covered with a pvc cap and zip tied to the frame but it was not connected to anything.

One day I decided to try out a Supertrapp muffler that a club member had on his RS. He said he liked the sound and the motor seemed more responsive so I decided to give it a go that summer. Everyone that rode behind me complained about the noise and even though you can adjust the number of baffles at the back of these mufflers they are still pretty loud. I found myself noise tired on long days so in the fall I took it off and put the OEM back on. I had forgotten just how nice and quiet the bike was.

That SuperTrapp is now a shed ornament hanging from the rafters... I think you did the right thing getting that one off eBay. It was in as good a shape as one can find given the year of the bikes we're talking about.

FWIW, the muffler on my '03 R1150RT got razzy on me. I actually corrected that with a length of stainless tubing that I glued into the outlet of the muffler with some kind of high-temperature muffler glue. The muffler was quiet again, but looked a bit shabby.

I was in the mood for a new bike, so for appearances and to better sell the old RT, I went the EBay route and got a used cat/muffler shipped to me for under $200 as I recall, and replaced it myself, with some help from a spray can of Kroil.

I like the fact that the cat/muffler on the wethead GS is a two-piece affair. If necessary just the muffler can be replaced, an improvement over the oilhead RT design.

Harry

The muffler on Voni's R1100RS (built in March of 1993) developed corrosion right where the "hole" in the rear of the muffler exited the body of the muffler. I took a 4 inch piece of stainless tubing and drove it into the rear of the muffler, leaving one inch sticking rearward. I then sealed the joint with JB weld. It has been fine for ten more years.

A Few More Pics.

IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
Seems like this was the latest greatest a couple years ago. 24 years passes pretty fast. Now just an old Oilhead motorcycle.

Back