• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW enthusiast from the Santa Cruz Mts.

ridgetopboy

"Good looks wealth and education are often wasted on the slow. Everything in moderation and moderation is the first to go." A line from a song that about sums up my attitude towards life and riding. Last year I reconnected with a good friend, Bill, who had been lost to me because he married a raving beeotch. Back in the 80's I got him into motorcycles and we bought a pair of R65RS'. After getting Bill up the learning curve we did a road trip down the Baja. That trip was cut short when I got run off the road just south of Mulege, BCS by a gigantic bus, hit a big rock and turned my front wheel into a "D". Spent 3 days on the beach slowly working the wheel back to round enough with a rock and a small hatchet. The trip back to San Diego was very slow...but I digress.

Flash forward to the spring of 2016: Bill calls me out of the blue (I had not heard from him in 25 years) to tell me he's divorcing the beeotch and wants to get together. So he comes up to my place here in the Santa Cruz Mts. and proceeds to tell me that he has a R110S BCR and we are going to go on a new motorcycle adventure together. I had a few problems with this: 1) I had not ridden a motorcycle for 30 yrs. 2) I had no desire to ride a motorcycle again. and 3) I did not have a motorcycle. We talked, reminisced drank tequila and Bill continued to plot our next motorcycle adventure despite my protests. His parting shot as he was rolling out of the driveway in his old M6; he rolled down the window and said "you don't understand, we are going on a motorcycle trip together."

A couple of weeks later Bill informed me that he had bought another R1100S on eBay and it was on its way and I would be riding it. Bill and I ended up doing a tour of California's Lost Coast and accompanying breweries in the summer of 2016 and we went off to go to Death Valley this last fall but I had to head back early because of the fires near my home.

So that's how I got back into BMW motorcycles again. I am now completely hooked and can't wait for the next big adventure but keep my need at bay with 2-wheeled Tuesday rides with friends. Looking forward to many more rides and meeting other members along the way.
Mulege.jpg20160811_183159.jpgIMG_5791.jpg

Wow! Your friend is quite a determined man to have his friend riding with him again. Glad to hear that you are finally back on two wheels. :thumb

Welcome to the Club and Forum!:dance

Yeah, welcome here.

Santa Cruz mountains... many great riding memories there. Tunitas Creek road is my fave. That ride through the Big Basin Redwoods park is pretty cool, too.

Hope to meet you on the road.

Ian

Tunitas Creek is a kick but Soquel/San Jose Rd. is the bomb!

Yeah, welcome here.

Santa Cruz mountains... many great riding memories there. Tunitas Creek road is my fave. That ride through the Big Basin Redwoods park is pretty cool, too.

Hope to meet you on the road.

Ian

Ian,

Would welcome the opportunity to ride up the coast with you to Tunitas then up to Skyline and down to Pecadero for some half & half soup and Smelt at Duarte's! Let m know if you are in the area.

BTW: I had a Honda Trail 90 too! Great fun showing up my friends brother's BSA on the hill climb with that little yellow "girl's bike" as he called it. That little bike got me around to all my lawn mowing jobs and was the start of a love affair with all things with throttles.

Mark
2004 R110S

Welcome!
I know the Santa Cruz Mountains very well! In my younger days I made it up to Alice's every Sunday morning for some breakfast, and then South on Skyline to 9, Boulder Creek, Ben Lomond and Felton before hitting SC. Skyline to San Gregorio on 84 is also a fine road. I now get most of my riding time in commuting to/from work in the East Bay, and don't make it over to the peninsula much. For more spirited rides, I'll hit Mines Rd since it's practically in my back yard!

Ian,

Would welcome the opportunity to ride up the coast with you to Tunitas then up to Skyline and down to Pecadero for some half & half soup and Smelt at Duarte's! Let m know if you are in the area.

BTW: I had a Honda Trail 90 too! Great fun showing up my friends brother's BSA on the hill climb with that little yellow "girl's bike" as he called it. That little bike got me around to all my lawn mowing jobs and was the start of a love affair with all things with throttles.

Mark
2004 R110S

Mark - I retired this year and have a lot of Eurotouring planned. We are also working on our 2019 plans, much of which will involve a US tour in our camper, trailering a bike. We will definitely be out that way and in that area.... probably around WSBK time at Laguna Seca.

It's been my great fortune over the years to have ridden all over California, I had a west coast office in the Bay Area from 1987 - 1997 and kept my Airhead G/S there.

I was last out that way in 2017 to test, of all things, a Honda VFR 1200X... got a few comments when I rolled into the BMW 100th Anniversary Celebration.

You can use this map to see some of the roads I took.... but caution, some of them are unpaved.

Hope to meet you in person!

Ian

<iframe src='https://rwgps-embeds.com/embeds?type=route&id=16035635&sampleGraph=true' style='width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 700px; border: none;' scrolling='no'></iframe>

Back