• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handlebar replacement help

apuesto

Hi folks. I'm planning on replacing the handlebar on my K1600B with one with more pullback and rize due to issues I have with my back. I'm going to need to extend all the cabling and the brake and clutch lines.

Has anybody extended any of these cables? Am I going need to "cut and extend"? Are there any youtube videos or manuals available to show the easiest way to remove the tank and all the panels to get access to said lines and cables?

I'd like to do it myself rather than take it to the dealer, but the panels really scare me. Any advise and/or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would consult with your dealer.
If you're afraid to take off panels, how will you handle a sophisticated brake/clutch hydraulic system?
The other alternative would be to ditch the K16B in favor of something that fits you.

Just my $.02.

Good luck.

Joe

Hi Joe

Replacing brake and clutch lines are fairly easy and straight forward.

The panels look like it's going to be a complete pain in the butt, and I am not sure which panels need to be removed to get access to the cabling. If I can get a picture of what and where every cable routes under the fairing and tank I can probably spare myself a lot of time by not removing items I don't need to.

Regards

Last edited:
You might wish to invest in a shop manual if you are going to take the bike apart. One piece of broken tupperware could pay for it. Sometimes with BMW's I have seen longer than necessary wiring that was tied up out of the way so that the same wiring harness could be used for different models. Depending on how much you need to extend, sometimes it is only a matter of releasing the wire ties and expanding or re-routing it. An improperly modified wiring harness can become a long-term disaster - double so on computer-laden bikes with low level signal wires involved rather than just heavy power wiring.

Back