• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wheel spacers? Or?

nortyler

I am a new airhead owner doing my first tire change. The Po had a 130/90-18 which would rub inside the fender unless the shocks were set at 2 up. So I'm replacing with a 4.00-18. Had to remove front wheel and strap axle to the center stand, then deflate rear tire use c-clamps and wire ties to get the tire to fit between the brake and swingarm. I had two spacers fall off while I removed the rear axle and I only heard them hit the concrete and don't know where they were located. The parts diagrams and pics I've found don't show their location and may indicate they should be in the bearing stack contained in the hub?

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_142403.jpg
    IMG_20171224_142403.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to the forum! Don't you just hate that when something falls and you weren't looking!!

Good idea going back to a 4.00 inch tire...wider tires don't really help things...actually hurt as you figured out. Here's Duane Ausherman's site which discusses bearings. Also, see the picture (which is located on the page) about the items for the bearings. It appears what dropped out were the "top hats" on either side.

http://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-wheel-bearings-1956-through-84-repair-preload-and-spun-hubs/

Note that the wedding band spacer is what's used to ensure the proper compression of the bearings for good performance. Read what Duane talks about in terms of the "shake the wheel" test.

stack.jpg

Unless they're Lester Mags, then its a little different. I'll have to look at mine (76 r90s with lesters) but I'm sure the spacer goes on the smaller end of the axle.

The condition of your wheel bearings is somewhat suspect...

Those spacers have a rim like the brim of a hat. The rim is usually positioned to the inside of the seal against the bearing. That would make it nearly impossible for those two spacers to 'fall out' when one removes the rear wheel. The wide-brim spacer is often installed with the brim outside the seal and so positioned can be lost when the axle is removed. The grease looks dirty and your wheel seals may be worn. While the wheel is out is a good time to check the bearings. Thinking again about it, the inner spacer was probably pulled through the seal by catching on the brake and drive spline as you struggled to free the oversized tire. It happens...

Thanks for the replies. Confirmed what I had been thinking.

Attachments

• IMG_20171225_083209.jpg
    IMG_20171225_083209.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 109
I suggest that you have a dealer install the tire on the wheel and balance it. Michelins are very stiff (even after heating in sunlight) and they are very close tolerance so do not go on easy. Well worth your money.

Clean out spline throughly and re-lube. If bearings are out, thoroughly clean and re-grease. Clean all components. If seals are worn - replace, and if "hat" collars are worn (from seal edges) better to replace now rather than later.

Also, clean out drain hole that runs to bottom of rear housing from the spline area. I had to use q-tips and some air, and a small wire. However, this hole isn't a strait shot, but has a dogleg in it so you can't run a straight wire from one end to the other.

On the inside to clean out the greasy goop, I used clear kerosene and kept washing and washing. On the outside, the older aluminum doesn't lend itself to very good cleaning. If you polish it, it gets a shininess that wasn't there when new. Be sure NOT to use any cleaner that contains acid. Better to wash with non-acid aluminum wheel cleaner with toothbrush, and then use something like WD40 to wipe over outside.

Back